T Nation

How Do You Feel About WalMart?

WALMART FOOD SHELVES CLEARED DURING LOUISIANA FOOD STAMP/EBT PANIC

EBT Food Stamp cards weren’t showing limits and the manager called corporate Walmart, whose spokesman said to let the people use the cards anyway.

From 7 to 9 p.m., people were loading up their carts, but when the cards began showing limits again around 9, one woman was detained because she rang up a bill of $700.00 and only had .49 on her card. She was held by police until corporate Walmart said they wouldn’t press charges if she left the food.

Manager Lynd says at 9 p.m., when the cards came back online and it was announced over the loud speaker, people just left their carts full of food in the aisles and left. (they realized the free for all was over and weren’t so hungry after all)

A dispatcher for Mansfield police also confirms officers were called in for crowd control at the Mansfield Walmart. She said the shelves were cleared out, forcing Walmart to stop selling food at 9 p.m. There were no arrests.

“We did make the decision to continue to accept EBT cards (and purchases on WIC and SNAP) during the outage so that they could get food for their families.”

Walmart is on my shitlist. They switch my mother’s prescription pills. We found out after the fact that somebody there had switch the prescription, but there was NO WAY these pills were switched after the fact. Once you leave the counter, you don’t have a leg to stand on. We logged a complaint, but there is nothing you can do really. They hold all the power.
So word to the wise, if you get a script fill at Walmart, check the script right there at the counter.
Or better, don’t use the Walmart pharmacy. They are incompetent at best, dishonest thieves at worst.

Appalling; Yes, surprising; No.

The individual is responsible for their own actions but when there is a complete disconnect between earning something and being given something, this is the inevitable outcome.

In days gone by, it was not a crime to eat from a field or orchard if one was truly hungry and without food. It was a crime to take food from the field for a later time. This may have come from (dare I say it) the Bible; “Give us this day our daily bread”. The caveat being “Daily” I don’t know if this was criminal but it sure is a sin.

That’s just my opinion, I could be wrong.

[quote]doublelung84 wrote:

[/quote]

Yup, our system is set up to allow fraud like this to occur. We have no one to blame but ourselves.

The individual is responsible for their own actions but when there is a complete disconnect between earning something and being given something, this is the inevitable outcome.

In days gone by, it was not a crime to eat from a field or orchard if one was truly hungry and without food. It was a crime to take food from the field for a later time. This may have come from (dare I say it) the Bible; “Give us this day our daily bread”. The caveat being “Daily” I don’t know if this was criminal but it sure is a sin.

That’s just my opinion, I could be wrong.
[/quote]

Great post.

What’s the point of this, another race baiting, thread? To show that people…I mean, “those” people…will try and take advantage of free money? Warren Buffet’s son takes advantage of farm subsidies. Most people, rich or poor, educated or not, will accept money they didn’t earn even if they know it’s wrong, as long as they think they can get away with it.

We wouldn’t have the term white collar criminal if only “those” people committed fraud. Some govt contractor selling a hammer for 500 dollars is no better, and is probably worse, than someone getting foodstamps.

Proof that ConservativeDog is a racist. You are in LA right?

I am just putting gasoline on the fire. I know this is not ConservativeDog doing this. Just thought of him when I saw this article.

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

Proof that ConservativeDog is a racist. You are in LA right?

I am just putting gasoline on the fire. I know this is not ConservativeDog doing this. Just thought of him when I saw this article.[/quote]
The reason is that white people know they are too slow to outrun a dog.

Walmart is the antichrist

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
Walmart is the antichrist [/quote]

Lol…

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
Walmart is the antichrist [/quote]

You know you shop there.

[quote]zecarlo wrote:
What’s the point of this, another race baiting, thread? To show that people…I mean, “those” people…will try and take advantage of free money? Warren Buffet’s son takes advantage of farm subsidies. Most people, rich or poor, educated or not, will accept money they didn’t earn even if they know it’s wrong, as long as they think they can get away with it.

We wouldn’t have the term white collar criminal if only “those” people committed fraud. Some govt contractor selling a hammer for 500 dollars is no better, and is probably worse, than someone getting foodstamps. [/quote]

I can not say if CD is a raciest or not, never sat down with the dude for a beer but I will say he is thought provoking. Racism and baiting can exist separately; he may just be trying to get you to think.

Assuming you are right about Warren Buffet’s son takes advantage of farm subsidies, I’m sure it is done within the law. If you don’t like the law, change the law; do not use it to justify another wrong doing.

I am sure there were many honest people who did not take advantage of this glitch in the system. But then we don’t hear much about the honest people. Let me put it a different way; how would you feel if you took something that was not yours, knowing it would not be there for someone that really needed it? I bet most people would do the right thing. That’s just another disconnect we have when the government takes from one to give to another.

Now Now Pat, don’t judge a bad experience at the Wal-Mart Pharmacy and broad brush judgment
on ALL Wal-Mart Pharmacies because of it.
Your Mother was free to choose any other Pharmacy in the area even if she had to drive a little further
for her meds or whatever…'Fact was she didn’t check her script before she walked out the door because
of trust…trust no one, change locations, people aren’t the same everywhere.
She was unwise not checking product if you suggest to be wise in checking product before you walk the door.

If you get screwed in the butt by a triplet, don’t blame the other two guys.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[/quote]

Yup, our system is set up to allow fraud like this to occur. We have no one to blame but ourselves. [/quote]

Ain’t that the damn truth.

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

We wouldn’t have the term white collar criminal if only “those” people committed fraud. Some govt contractor selling a hammer for 500 dollars is no better, and is probably worse, than someone getting foodstamps. [/quote]

Yeah, but my tax dollars are not being used to buy said $500 hammer. These leeches are using MY TAX DOLLARS! Get them off the Gov’t dole.

Sink or swim. Just like we used to do before there was a damn Gov’t program for everything. Survival of the fittest.

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

I’d like to see the invoice for that.

I sometimes shop at walmart. It’s cheap and conveniant. Depends on what I’m interested in buying. Napkins, TP, trash bags, laundry detergent, cheap work shirts, socks, cheap kids clothes, school supplies, propane, etc… Cheap, disposable shit. I don’t buy anthing from Walmart that I expect to “last”. I won’t buy tools, cookware, appliances, towels, shoes, etc… from Walmart. I certainly wouldn’t fill a prescription there! LOL

As for the incident in the OP about the EBT cards, why is it Walmart’s job to “police” the people spending the government’s money? The GOVERNMENT, yet again, has demonstrated it’s incompetance. The “recipiants”, yet again, have demonstrated their unworthiness, ungratefullness and willingness to cheat the system. But I guess you guys would be all up in arms if I said those who took advantage of the glitch should lose their “free gov’t cheeze”, I mean a BAAAAABYYY might DIEEEEE!!! Cry me a fucking river. If they are physically able to carry the 700 dollars worth of groceries they “stole”, they are physically fit enough to work, right? But no, let’s just keep enabling them and say, “oops, that’s OUR fault. We left the door open and you stole from us. We have a record of the transaction to prove it, but we wont do anything, because you obviously need it. It would cost more just to prosecute you anyway. Enjoy the free gov’t cheeze”. Sound about right?

I think the bigest problem with Walmart is the way it uses it’s employment leverage to get tax advantages. The government of MANY states/counties has gotten down on it’s knees to suck the mighty blue Walmart dick to get them to build stores in their jurisdiction. Just another example of corporate welfare for a company that hardly needs it. It puts small businesses in a bad spot. But we all know this.

But I still shop there. Sue me - I’m a thrifty person, and I’ve got a hell of net worth as a result. Does it compromise my values a little? Sure it does. But I can’t take my values to the bank. I don’t make financial decisions based on politics. I used to “buy American”, and I still do with some things. But the last Red Wing boots I bought cost me $385.00 and the soles lasted only 8 months… So I decided to “revisit” that personal policy and I’m saving a lot more money now. Walmart isn’t “the antichrist”, it’s a cheap place to shop.

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
Cry me a fucking river. If they are physically able to carry the 700 dollars worth of groceries they “stole”, they are physically fit enough to work, right?[/quote]

lol. That pretty much sums it up.

I used to “buy American”, and I still do with some things. But the last Red Wing boots I bought cost me $385.00 and the soles lasted only 8 months… So I decided to “revisit” that personal policy and I’m saving a lot more money now. Walmart isn’t “the antichrist”, it’s a cheap place to shop.[/quote]

The last pair of those I got are all blown out now after about the same amount of time.

Carolinas from now on.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:

I used to “buy American”, and I still do with some things. But the last Red Wing boots I bought cost me $385.00 and the soles lasted only 8 months… So I decided to “revisit” that personal policy and I’m saving a lot more money now. Walmart isn’t “the antichrist”, it’s a cheap place to shop.[/quote]

The last pair of those I got are all blown out now after about the same amount of time.

Carolinas from now on.

[/quote]

I got me some Ariots when I was in TX. Under 200. They are holding up quite nicely. The steel toe is starting to peek through on my right boot a little, but fuck it - that just adds charachter.