How Do You Feel About a 4 Day Work Week?

Can’t argue with that haha

Could always choose careers in the medical field. Plenty of alternative schedules to be had there, including salaried positions of 100% on-call work. Sometimes that can suck a lot, sometimes it means working a VERY short week.

I’ve done 4 10’s on mid shift and really liked that. I’d get done at 1:30 on Thursday night and not go back till Monday at 3:30, so all of Friday, Saturday and Sunday, plus half of Monday off.

I’ve never not had a 3-4 day 12 hour schedule from EMS to dispatching and now nursing. I couldn’t stand being exposed to the same people 8 hours a day 5 days a week. Granted, still spending the same amount of hours but more days off equals time to decompress.

1 Like

Haha right!? Fuck. If I can get all actual work out the door early, I’m still left with scheduling and planning work for next week. If that gets done early too I need to check in with current and potential clients as part of BD.

I personally wouldn’t mind working 7 6’s if I didn’t have to come in till noon. That’d give me the whole morning to do fun stuff :). Current setup allows me time off pretty much at my discretion… As long as work gets done well, and my bosses don’t have clients or employees hitting them up because I’m needed for something preplanned and not there.

I work at a plant where there are 12 hour shifts, 3-on-2-off/2-on-3off, there are 8 hour shifts - 8x5 - and there’s me, working 4 10’s - tuesday-friday 8-630 - and I can tell you that there’s a generational divide between what people think is best. Older people (50+) would almost always rather work more days with less hours, whereas younger people would almost always work more hours in a day to get an additional day off. Everyone pretty much agrees that 4 10’s is the best way to work. You’re not killing yourself with 12 hour shifts, and the extra couple hours each day are offset by the extra day you get off. We’re in production, so productivity is key, and I’m honestly not sure why 12 hour shifts are ever even a thing - I was night shift foreman for years, and after 8 hours of work, ESPECIALLY overnght, productivity falls off a cliff.

3 Likes

+1 in your conclusion and reasoning.

2 Likes

Not a very sophisticated answer, but I’m all for less work, as long as if my income doesn’t drop

I typically work M-Th from mid June to labour day. I just use my vacation one day at a time. I love it and prefer it to taking entire weeks off. That way my work doesn’t back up while I’m away and I have long weekends all summer. I’ve done this for years. I would definitely support a 4 day work week.

I think many places do more than necessary because we have to fill a 5 day work week; redundant work processes etc.

1 Like

Lucky ones! I work with no breaks. But I study only 4 days) If this ‘nobody does anything’ I believe they are still paid. Depends on boss’s mood.

The biggest part of the world just works home now. Maybe everyone is more productive at this period) No matter if it’s Thursday or not. Also you know there are also productiveness types as ‘night owls’ and ‘early birds’. I mean who likes to work in the morning/evening.

Personally I would prefer 4-10’s to 5-8’s but I haven’t had a shift type job in a while. I think if no one is doing anything on Friday’s then the company needs to examine the need for Friday’s. Right now my line of work is fairly unique in that my company (even pre corona) is largely work whenever you feel like it. We have no issues with employees as long as the work gets done. Some come in early and leave early. Some come in later and stay later. Some work from home if it’s just clerical type stuff they need to do.

We have expectations about being places at certain time, (you can’t skip court, you can’t skip seeing kids, you can’t skip on call, you can’t skip twice monthly in person team meetings) but I think our employees love the flexibility. Want to show up at 1030? Go for it. Want to take a 3 hour lunch? Go for it. Have no appointments on Friday and want to work from home? Go for it.

As long as people are getting the shit done we need them to do the when isn’t that important. But we’re also unique in that regard and I realize it doesn’t exactly work for many jobs.

1 Like

I genuinely do not understand why you replied to my post with this information.

I read an article about the mental part if working less than 6 days, here https://bestantiviruspro.org/review/bitdefender-review/ As for me I feel pacifically and satisfied with my life because I can spend more family time and time for my personal spa :sparkles: routine

sorry,dude! I was thinking about replying to post which you replied first. I’ve made a mistake,sorry again

1 Like