How Do You Feel About a 4 Day Work Week?

Nobody does anything at work on Fridays already

That should signal to you there’s tremendous opportunity for you to distance yourself from your peers…if everyone jumped off a cliff, would you, too??

1 Like

Do I get 5 day’s pay?

1 Like

If u do 6 days work

Maybe some places of work can have that pulled off.

The slacking one sees on Fridays is related to specific jobs too. Can you find me a nurse, corrections officer, police officer, doctor, and so on who can slack simply because it’s Friday, Saturday, or Sunday?

1 Like

4 10s or 32 hours? The 40-hour work week isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.

1 Like

I work 4 12’s. I like it.

I would support it. In my industry (petroleum), we bust our asses M-F to insure states up and down the East Coast so they are in compliance with State and Federal laws, DEC, EPA, etc. A 4-day workweek would certainly avoid burnout and unnecessary stress. I would greatly appreciate being paid for the day I’m not working, but I’m unsure how my company would feel about that.

I think most European countries have adopted a 4-day workweek with success? Not sure.

Depends whether or not more hours would be needed to be worked in order to balance things out. A lot of jobs with long hours= No life outside of work (even if you are just working 4 on 3 off), so yeah, it depends.

I think, thinking about it shorter days are better than less days.

That’s not a bad idea. If we cut from 40 hours to 35 hours, would we still be eligible for 40 hours worth of pay? Seems like a dumb question, but in certain industries, the volume of work is so massive that 35 hours feels like 60 hours, haha.

1 Like

I would support the idea of a 4 day work week consisting of 8 hour days. I would probably take this deal if it meant 20% less pay. More time to enjoy life now. Maybe I wouldn’t be able to invest quite as much, but that is okay if the trade off is 50% more free days.

I’ve done 4 10’s before, a long time ago. I’ve also done twelve hours shifts with lots of days off. I liked both when I was young, much better than banker’s hours. I’ve mostly been in salary 8-5 types or consulting gigs with similar hours for the last 15 years.

If you want a sub 40 hour work week and you aren’t a business owner, you need to get a salary job and manage expectations well. Once you go salary it is all about time and expectation management, assuming you work for a boss who lets you work and is happy with your output, no matter how you accomplish it. You can have an equivalent of a four-day work week if you play your cards right in terms of time and flexibility available to get your personal stuff done.

Expectation management is the key to this. Salary backfires on a lot of people who don’t know how to say “no” or aren’t in a position to do so and keep their job. That’s how you end up working long hours for peanuts. I did my time in that dungeon, never again.

I’m not going to be anything more than somewhat content until I get down to a zero day work week, not counting volunteer work I choose to do.

2 Likes

If they were landing on a bouncy castle and drinking beers at the bottom, sure.

+1. But if you do it right, you end up working normal (or even short) hours for quite a lot.

1 Like

I’m with @twojarslave here. Major corporation and we have a lot of flexibility at managerial discretion. I worked in one department where you were expected to be AIS for 8.5-9 hours, 5 days a week, no exceptions. Current department (and manager) is very flexible with us and we have summer hours (4x9; 1x4) from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

They’ve mulled over a 4-day week a little so far but no result. I notice I’m way more productive with a 4-day week than a 5-day week because I’m mentally fresher and can be more creative in solving problems with my engineering work. I can get about 6 days’ work done in 4 days, but I can only get 5 days’ work done in 5 days.

Edit to add that most people leaving my current department are leaving to move away or to retire, not because they’re not happy with their job. My old department is a revolving door because they just beat the hell out of people with work hours and travel until they go running outta there. A little effort to keep people happy leads to an awful lot better work.

2 Likes

Work-Life balance is critical to productive and happy employees, IMO. If people are working 70-80 hours a week, not only will productivity and quality of work suffer, but morale will as well.

1 Like

Surely the result of only working Monday through Thursday would not be that now nobody does anything at work on Thursdays…

6 Likes

I think this is especially true in this field. I just don’t seem to have the will power to do heavy thinking and problem solving for 40 hours a week. My more productive days usually involve 2-3 hours of extreme productivity, and the rest of the day being far more casual.

What twojarslave has mentioned has worked out for me. All about setting up expectations. I have had managers that valued time in office more than results. I never did well with those managers.

1 Like

My first salary job had a day that went like this.

Wake up at 3:00 am in rural west Michigan. Drive to the Grand Rapids airport and hop on a tiny jet for a turbulence-filled ride to NYC’s LaGuardia airport. Take a cab to Connecticut. Get to my desk at 9:30 am. Work until 5pm, start shutting down.

My boss at the time: Heading home already?

Me: Yeah.

Boss: That’s a bad look, you know.

Me: I’m pretty drained, today was my travel day.

Boss: Travel day is just like any other day. You don’t want to be seen leaving at 5.

Me: Well, fuck you then. Take this job and shove it up your ass!

Okay the last part didn’t happen, but it probably would have been the right move for me at the time.

…as I check my work calendar today, a Friday, and see jam-packed day ahead.