T Nation

How Do You Eat Your Asparagus?

i just foremaned some asparagus and it's pretty bland drizzling pepper and evoo on it afterwards.

also, anything to know about asparagus?

it makes your piss smell

olive oil, salt and grill them for about 5 mins until they’re tender!

as long as you don’t sit there and smell ur piss then who cares what your piss really smells like right? asparagus tastes so damn good!

place in mouth,chew repeat swallow repeat

lol naw I have eaten it boiled and then drained ,dried and drizzeld with evoo and lemon pepper seasoning.
its pretty good but not my fave I try to stay away from them things

i dont even know why i am eating them…hahaha don’t really know their health benefits except a lot of people suggest them.

mine got kinda mushy today, the stalks i mean. the heads stayed crisp. what do you guys like?

lemon pepper sounds really good. i may try covering them with cheese until i no longer see green.

Asparagus has a distinct flavor which needs to pair with the likewise strong flavors found in traditional Hollandaise. It definitely needs an acid (lemon or vinegar) and a fat (EVOO or butter) to bring out and balance its best flavors.

My favorite is steamed asparagus with butter and balsamic vinegar. Love it. Great with a white fish steak with reduced port sauce, and risotto if you can have the carbs.

sluicy sounds good, except i know i cannot trust you at all because you make chicken/broccoli pancakes!!!

hahaha actually i noticed you are really good with foods. never tried hollandaise but it sounds good and sounds like horseradish. and the butter sounds doubly good.

[quote]vlandsponger wrote:
olive oil, salt and grill them for about 5 mins until they’re tender![/quote]

X2

[quote]kickureface wrote:
sluicy sounds good, except i know i cannot trust you at all because you make chicken/broccoli pancakes!!!

hahaha actually i noticed you are really good with foods. never tried hollandaise but it sounds good and sounds like horseradish. and the butter sounds doubly good.[/quote]

WTF? Was that the chicken and spinach…? and it was for my dog… but yes it was very good. Thanks for the compliment. You made me laugh.

Hollandaise is made out of a heartstopping amount of egg yolks and butter, plus an acid; but a bit of EVOO and some lemon or vinegar can be just as good. Asparagus is a wonderful vegetable but it does take a little attention to preparation and pairing to reach full gustatory potential.

Berardi has a casserole in Gourmet Nutrition which incorporates asparagus and is very good.

Too expensive.

I do spinach, broccoli, tomatoes, and wide variety of fruit.

I personally love them.
Fresh ones: My wife usually coats them with olive oil and bakes them in an oven until they are crispy at the ends.

Canned ones: baked in a casserole dish covered with some mozzarella cheese.

Baked with EVOO and a little garlic usually does the trick.

If you want something easy to start with:

1 pound thin asparagus spears
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 ounce shaved Parmesan cheese
freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, or to taste

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).

2. Place asparagus on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, and toss to coat. Arrange asparagus spears in a single layer. Spread Parmesan cheese over asparagus, and season with freshly ground black pepper.

3. Bake 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until cheese is melted and asparagus is tender but crisp. Serve immediately on warm plates, sprinkling with balsamic vinegar to taste.

When you want to get fancy (these are to die for and I make them fairly often):

http://www.washingtonasparagus.com/default.cfm?body=recipes.cfm

[quote]sluicy wrote:
Asparagus has a distinct flavor which needs to pair with the likewise strong flavors found in traditional Hollandaise. It definitely needs an acid (lemon or vinegar) and a fat (EVOO or butter) to bring out and balance its best flavors.

My favorite is steamed asparagus with butter and balsamic vinegar. Love it. Great with a white fish steak with reduced port sauce, and risotto if you can have the carbs.[/quote]

If I lived closer to you, you just may have had a straggler on your doorstep around dinner time.

garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil, pan, cook till tender. I like it with seafood, usually a pan seared salmon.

Any way I can?

I’m lucky enough to have an asparagus patch so have it quite often when in season. I usually cook it similar to the main protein of the meal. Some examples:

Roasted with olive oil, garlic, rosemary and pepper (with roasted chicken)
Grilled after a quick marinade of wine, herbs, and walnut oil then topped with fresh grated good asagio (with steak)
Steamed and dressed with a sauce of lemon and lime juice, sesame oil, garlic, cilantro and ginger (with scallops or fish)
Also grilled, then chilled and wrapped in prochuitto with some bleu cheese and herbs as a starter

Yum!
76-SH

Usually just grilled with some olive oil, salt, and pepper. But wrapping them in bacon can be pretty damn good, too.

i heard if your pee smells then you arnt getting enough B6 or something…read that somewhere on these forums…maybe an article…yeah but neways I agree with the olive oil and salt, but then again everything tastes better with hot sauce.

Cut the ends off (not the tips) fill a jar with water and about 1/4 cup lemon juice with some salt and pepper and soak the stalks for an hour or two before steaming on medium for 10-15 minutes or until they are a little past soft enough to stab with a fork. Not too long or they’ll get mushy.

My dad used to do it with balsamic vinegar but that was before I moved out and I didn’t like asparagus so I haven’t tried it.

I like ginger and fresh lime juice