How do you do it?

OK so I tracked my diet without making any changes for a week or so. What I found out was that I was eating 2500-3000 calories. I averaged 350grams of Carbs, 150grams of Protein, and 100grams of fat. So how is it that you are keeping your carbs so low(like in the 100g range) considering that a 1/2 cup of oatmeal has 27 grams of carbs and a slice of oatmeal bread has 20 and 3/4 cup of brown rice has 32 grams. My diet regular has a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, a sandwich for my second meal and some chicken or protein and rice for my third meal. Do you all just eat the meat? And how is it that you are consuming so many grams of protein. Are you getting the boost to 1gram per pound by using shakes?

trying to make sense of it all…

Marcus

It’s pretty easy to do actually. I eat 4-6 meals a day and average 200 grams of protein per day. Just remember to combine protein with every meal. I usually eat meals that have 40-50 grams of protein each. This comes from protein powders, various meat sources, cottage cheese and some eggs and nuts.

I rarely eat rice or pasta, and I almost never eat bread. My carbs come from various vegetables, fruit, post-workout shakes, yogurt and some other sources.

Just plan on eating at least four meals a day (preferably 5-6) and divide the amount of protein you need evenly with each meal.

It’s really easy, actually. Replace a bunch of the carbs with protein. Use veggies instead of bread and oats. Have some protein shakes. I hate to oversimplify it, but simple logic says, “Eat this, but not this.”

I don’t understand how you are getting up to 350g of carbs. The sample you described doesn’t look to be adding up to that much, even if you excluded meals with similar quantities. It is hard to get up in the 200’s in grams of protein without supplements. It depends on how much you weigh. Yeah, but your macronutrient ratio is so lopsided that you should be able to take a serious look at your diet and be able to spot the discrepancies with ease.

Let me provide some more info then. I am an ex-cardio junky and my father had a heart attack in his 40s so I learned that fat was bad in the 80s and 90s. I don’t think that fat is bad anymore but mmy diet doesn’t reflect it. For instance I usually have some sort of Carbs with every meal. I have switched to more complex carbs but they are still carbs. So if I eat some oatmeal at breakfast and a sandwich for my first meal I am already up to 67 grams of carbs and it is not even noon yet. If I have my third meal of brown rice and salmon at 1:30 or so then I am up to 99 grams and I still have 2 or so meals to go.

As far as the protein intake goes I am consistently getting 150grams but that is about as high as seem to be able to get it without supplements. I currently weigh in at about 218 or so and I have not had a BF test done for awhile so I could guess but it would be just that. But I usually try and get 2-3 eggs in in the morning and some turkey and ham or some cottage cheese in the AM and either some chicken or salmon in the PM and peanut butter as well.

A day from last week read as follows:

1 piece toast 20grm carb

2 poached eggs 14grm protein

1/2 cup oatmeal 27grm carb

2 pieces bread 40grm carb

2 tbsp peanut butter 8grm protein

1 tbsp jam 13grm carb

1/2 lb chicken 45grm protein

3/4 cup brown rice 32grm carb

2 cu inches of Organic Gouda

3/4 cup brown rice 32grm carb

1 cup black beans 55grm carb 20grm protein

1 glass red wine :slight_smile: 2grm carb

1/2 lb chicken 45 grm protein

1 tbsp sour cream

1/4 cup cheese 6 grm protein

1 tortilla 36grm carb

As I see it this adds up to 257 grams of carbs and this is without every little amount of Carb added in( I did track this just don’t feel like writing it all out here). And it addds up to 138 grams of protein without all of the little stuff added in.

Marcus

Hey Marcus,
My suggestion would be to get rid of the brown rice!!! Instead, get some fat free cottage cheese. Personally, I eat one tub of cottage cheese everyday. Just add a little yogurt to it to spice it up a little. Also, get some eggs in there! I eat six egg whites for breakfast (along with oatmeal) and I have another six egg whites about an hour before bed. Tuna fish is another great substitute for all your catbs.

This is an easy fix. Your diet has plenty of unnecessary carbs.
Meal 1:lose the toast, add some egg whites
Meal 2:lose the jam and a piece of bread-add a protein source(cottage cheese, tuna, etc)
Meal 3:this is fine, but 1/2 cup of rice is good.
Meal 4:You have two big carb portions that adds up to almost 90 grams, lose one of them and add a protein source.
Meal 5: Maybe too many carbs, but seems fine.

Just an example of how easy it would be to eliminate some unnecessary carbs you have in there.

You can definitely lose some of the carbs or go for different carb sources. Replace the oatmeal, grains, bread, pasta and rice with vegetables and fruit. That will easily bring down the carb content, yet still give you some carbs and nutritious food!

Also, be sure to use a variety of protein sources if you don’t want to use supplements. So figure on various meat sources (chicken, beef, fish), as well as cottage cheese, eggs, RAW nuts, cheese and canned tuna, salmon or chicken.

Yeah I am trying to vary the protein sources and am actually researching supplements to help get me to the 1 gram per pound of bodyweight goal. I eat mostly lean proteins though. I eat chicken and fish usually once a day. Red meat is a couple times a week. I guess I know now what I need to do it is just a matter of actually doing it. Bread is just one of my favorite things. So i guess I will start by cutting out the Brown rice with the meals. And by adding supplements I can bring the ratio more into line with what I need…

Marcus

Bread is worthless. You’re better off dropping the bread and keeping the whole-grain brown rice.