How Do You Deal With Gas Prices?

I want to hear it, what is the T-man thing to do about gas prices?

What’s the most socially acceptable, manly thing to do about this situation?

Using any kind of ‘economical’ means of transportation is out, correct? No bike, no hybrid, no moped(gaah!!!), no rationing and ‘smart’ use of gasoline, right?

Manly men drive fast, powerful vehicles, not environmentally friendly, economical transportation, correct?

If I am wrong, please say so, AND explain thoroughly.

I genuinely want to see what you guys have to say, and what better forum than T-Nation to get a socially acceptable, manly opinion from?

The only thing I can come up with that fits the problem as the most likely solution is to drive a motorcycle, but it has to be at least 500cc+, prefferably a real man’s size of 750+. But even this solution isn’t great. Doesn’t work in cold/wet weather, or for transporting friends.

Steal.

with gas approaching $4/gallon, give it 2 more weeks, I’m not worried about being a “man” and driving a gas guzzler.

I’ve owned muscle cars all my life till about 1.5 yrs ago.

I was tired of my LT1 Formula shitting on me, and bought a Civic (never thought I’d see the day).

Averages 32 mpg and I wish I had something better on gas.

I actually don’t spend too much on gas right now, since I live about 100 yds from my work :smiley:

4.17 here today :[

I work at home. I almost never drive anywhere.

I mentioned using a bike as transportation sometimes and someone suggested I hand in my man card.

So that spurred this topic and I want to see want the T-MEN think.

Ultimately, I think the “cool”, “manly” thing to do is nothing. Continue doing, driving whatever you like, no matter how expensive gas prices get.

Or: What will it take for the hip, tough, manly guy to trade in his lifted 4x4 or BMW M3 because gas is too expensive? $15/gallon?

My brother use to be one the tough guys, drove a lifted '88 Ford 250, and had a project car - old Chevelle. Now all he has is a 97 civic, same as what I drive. LOL.

Wait, I think I have the answer. The real manly thing to do is to make a good enough living that filling up the tank to your powerful, badass ride, say $200, is nothing more than pocket change.

Either that, or be a REAL man and engineer a new form of propulsion. That’s the real answer.

A real T-Man pulls his car places when gas is too expensive.

[quote]Defekt wrote:
4.17 here today :[[/quote]

that’s for premium right? or are you in the city? I thought the DC area was among the highest besides CA and NYC perhaps

It jumped 20 cents for some reason was at 397 yesterday, regular unleaded in a suburb

Buy stock in oil companies.

Pay for gas.

Drive like usual.

If it’s a problem for you (it costs me $7 more per tank to fill up now than a year ago), why not get a more gas efficient car? Or get a job that pays you more money? Or make passive income? Or not drive a car and instead bike, walk, etc.?

I say get yourself one of those “Earth Fucker 2000”. Geez, even that hippie Neil Young drives a Hummer. Civics are for sissies.

Grow a pair already!

P.S: And don’t forget to rape and inseminate as many females as you can.

[quote]Kilosprinter2 wrote:
I want to hear it, what is the T-man thing to do about gas prices?

What’s the most socially acceptable, manly thing to do about this situation?

Using any kind of ‘economical’ means of transportation is out, correct? No bike, no hybrid, no moped(gaah!!!), no rationing and ‘smart’ use of gasoline, right?

Manly men drive fast, powerful vehicles, not environmentally friendly, economical transportation, correct?

If I am wrong, please say so, AND explain thoroughly.

I genuinely want to see what you guys have to say, and what better forum than T-Nation to get a socially acceptable, manly opinion from?

The only thing I can come up with that fits the problem as the most likely solution is to drive a motorcycle, but it has to be at least 500cc+, prefferably a real man’s size of 750+. But even this solution isn’t great. Doesn’t work in cold/wet weather, or for transporting friends.

[/quote]

How many cc’s does it take to compensate for a small dick. I ride a 250 that costs me less than 200 a year to insure, and on my last tank I averaged 67 miles to the gallon.

On a side note a friend of mine (new rider thought he needed a big bad cycle) bought a sharp YZF 600R Yamaha and promptly needed to show me how it outrun my bike. We were riding together and he gave it too much gas and laid the bike down on SR 315 During rush hour.

[quote]1porsche wrote:

How many cc’s does it take to compensate for a small dick. I ride a 250
[/quote]

You have to be at least 9" to ride a 250.

LOL, I kidd, I kidd. Any dolt can go fast in a straight line on a fast motorcycle. On the other hand, if raced Mat Miladin 5 laps at Laguna Seca, I’m on GSXR1000, and Mat is on a moped, I would expect him to lap me. Twice.

i just started driving so i dont mind the gas prices

[quote]1porsche wrote:

How many cc’s does it take to compensate for a small dick. I ride a 250 that costs me less than 200 a year to insure, and on my last tank I averaged 67 miles to the gallon.

On a side note a friend of mine (new rider thought he needed a big bad cycle) bought a sharp YZF 600R Yamaha and promptly needed to show me how it outrun my bike. We were riding together and he gave it too much gas and laid the bike down on SR 315 During rush hour.
[/quote]

If I was looking at getting a motorcycle, I’d be considering the new Ninja 250.

Gas prices are not a problem for me at all. I just wanted to hear what you guys are doing about it, if anything.

It’s more of a feeling of getting hosed than anything else.

I don’t like driving my car in general, so that’s why I’m looking to alternatives. I am a road cyclist, but don’t really care for pedaling to school/work. I rather save my energy for my real rides.

I do feel bad for a few friends who somehow “need” their 15mpg Jeep Cherokee’s and drive over 300 miles a week.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Buy stock in oil companies.

Pay for gas.

Drive like usual.

If it’s a problem for you (it costs me $7 more per tank to fill up now than a year ago), why not get a more gas efficient car? Or get a job that pays you more money? Or make passive income? Or not drive a car and instead bike, walk, etc.?[/quote]

At first thought, you’d think the oil companies like XOM and COP would have soaring stock prices, but they aren’t doing as well as you’d think. They might be at all time highs, but they didn’t gain much over the past year.

In fact, the better investments over the past year or two were the solar plays like FSLR.

I just suck it up. I drive a gas guzzler, but I don’t care. I’d rather be in a large truck than a small hybrid in a wreck any day.

I can’t walk, run, ride a bike, take public transportation as 30+ miles to school / work its not possible w/ those types of transport, sadly. I’d give up driving if I could go to work on a train.

I’ll start a political war and say we need to get the oil kings out of office. I’d also like to see legislation put in place to force these oil companies to invest more than 5% of their profits for “alternative” fuels.

I’ve been in too many car wrecks (never my fault) where I’d rather be in a heavy vehicle than something light.

You could be driving the SUX9000…

i ride the bus sometimes but mainly drive my 4runner. its a four cylinder so i just cruise in 5th to use less gas. or a motorcycle even a big motorcycle(1000cc or bigger) can get over 40mpg if you dont drive like a maniac

I drive a Land Rover. On a good day 12 miles/gallon. But I live within 10 minutes walk or a 5 minutes drive to work. Either way, I fill my talk every two weeks. My solution, drive less, walk more. Sometimes I ride my motorcycle if the weather is nice.

i’m definitely considering getting a ninja 250. do you guys think it would be worth it to get one of the 2008s that i’ve heard a lot of good things about, or should i look into getting a used one thats just a few years old?
noting that i have absolutely 0 riding experience.