How Do You Cut?

Hey guys I’m new to the site. I have a question. I been trying to “bulk” but haven’t really been liking the results. I been doing Starting Strength as well. This bulk has put on more weight then expected around my stomach/belly and love handles.

So my question is how do you “cut”. How are you suppose to eat when your on a “cut”. What is your lifting regiment suppose to be like as well. Thanks guys. Hoping to get some help.

Keep your lifting regimen the same, try to increase or at least maintain strength levels.

Cutting is done by eating below maintenance calories. The opposite end is of course, bulking, which is eating above maintenance calories.

Some find it beneficial to cycle carbs while cutting. I would advise some form of carb control–either by carb cycling, carb cutoffs (stop eating carbs after 6 pm or something), or limiting carbs to in the morning and after workouts.

If you don’t want to get into carb cycling or anything just yet, the main thing is just eating sensibly. Up your vegetable intake because it will increase fiber intake, provide vitamins and minerals, and keep you full longer. Cut out refined carbs. That kind of stuff.

But you may want to provide more information to help you consider whether its time to cut yet or if it is best to continue bulking–but bulk cleaner. Go to the T-Nation main page for a nice article by Christian Thibadeau on “control days” while bulking.

well how do you cleanly bulk? I’ve been eating clean. I just usually eat white rice, chicken breast (skinliess) whey shakes, whole milk, whole eggs with some egg whites, lean cut meat, and oatmaeal.

You’re right. You have been bulking pretty clean. Maybe replace the white rice with brown rice, but that is pretty much it.

If you really want to cut, or at least continue gaining strength while limiting fat gains, try limiting carbs after 5 or 6 pm to just those that come from vegetables. If that doesn’t work, try going low-carb (keeping fat intake moderate, not low) on non-workout days. Try doing these things and see if it helps before going on an all out 100% devoted cutting cycle.

[quote]bulldogtor wrote:
If you really want to cut, or at least continue gaining strength while limiting fat gains, try limiting carbs after 5 or 6 pm to just those that come from vegetables. If that doesn’t work, try going low-carb (keeping fat intake moderate, not low) on non-workout days. Try doing these things and see if it helps before going on an all out 100% devoted cutting cycle.[/quote]

What he’s essentiall talking about is carb cycling. The idea being that carbs can be better utilized (or the insulin reponse they produce) at breakfast and around training sessionss.

It’s really very easy to carb cycle; I do it almost instinctually.

On training days:
Eat starchy carbs at breakfast (oatmeal, rice, etc.)

Pre/post work out:
eat fast carbs and protein (stuff like Surge. I eat some fruit and whey before and after, works for me)

1 hour after your Post training nutrition:
eat a balanced meal with complete lean protein, Complex carbs (rice, oatmeal, etc.) and some veggies.

Don’t eat carbs any other time of the day: stick to protein+fat meals and veggies.

Try that out for a month and see what happens. If you’re still concerned, just go for a long walk every day or throw in some interval work on one of the weekend days.

[quote]Anthony85 wrote:
well how do you cleanly bulk? I’ve been eating clean. I just usually eat white rice, chicken breast (skinliess) whey shakes, whole milk, whole eggs with some egg whites, lean cut meat, and oatmaeal. [/quote]

In addition to previous (all good stuff), DITCH the white rice. Nothing in there of any value to you (read: ‘empty’ calories).