T Nation

How Do You Beat A Cholesterol Test?

have 217 Cholesterol. Yet I do everything right. I am young; I
exercise 5 days per week; I take fish oils and flax seed oil; I have
11% body fat; I never smoke anything; and I eat organic healthy foods. I am convinced that my
numbers are up becuase of my genetics. Both of my parents have high
cholesterol. So here is my problem: I want to secure a good life
insurance rate so I need to make sure my cholesterol is low for the
test. I am being tested in 2 weeks. Is there any supplement I can
take to temporarily lower my Cholesterol for the blood test?

I have read that for home tests you can take Acetiminophen or Vitamin
C.

Low carb, moderate (healthy) fats, and Old fashioned oatmeal.

Do you eat a bowl of oatmeal every day? if not, it’s time to start.

Zero flour, sugar, and white rice.

If you combine all that and keep a little below maintence level…it should come down.

When I took my cholestrol test for my most recent life insurance policy, I was rated as “below normal”.

The 1st time I took the test, I quit smoking and started Atkins only 1month before (with borderline bloodpressure too).* I managed to normalize my BP and cholesterol…and passed as a non-smoker.

*This was before I took to healthy eating and exercise as a way of life.

The guggulsterones in the HOT-ROX have been used for hyperlidipemia (mainly in India I believe), but I don’t know how long or how much exactly it will lower your cholesterol/triglycerides. I did the velocity diet (used the Maximum Strength HOT-ROX, Low-Carb Grow!, flax seeds and fish oil) and did a before and after of my cholesterol to see the effects (didn’t want to post it since I had a couple cheat meals in vegas near the end), but it dropped my total cholesterol 4 points (129 to 125), my LDL went from 59 to 55 and HDL went from 55 to 58.

Hope this link works; it’s to my thread a few months ago entitled “My Cholesterol is High.” I got lots of great advice, followed it, and brought down my numbers. I’ve kept up the changes I made, upped the flax seed oil a bit, and should go for another test in a couple weeks.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=572F2BDD765080673EF09B53B6E30848.hydra?id=532205

Good luck!

get some no flush niacin.

be sure to get the ‘no flush’ variety.

you can find this at a local gnc.

others have mentioned it, but you need to eat oatmeal.

If you are new to oatmeal, it will drop your cholesterol up to 50 points within a month. I have verified this with a small study ; n=3.

Fast longer then the required period. Usually it is 12 hrs. Give it 24. I heard that works. Don’t know for sure.

I think we should point out that we aren’t talking processed packets of mushy oatmeal with plenty of sugar thrown in. Buy yourself a box of steel-cut oats. Usual serving is 1/4 cup. Soak the oats in the bowl with plenty of water overnight, pour of the water next morning, and microwave for 1-2 minutes. I throw on some raisins for sweetness.

I ate right before the last one I had done and the nurse was mad and thought I was really going to screw up the results. My cholesterol came out to 112. My glucose was like 64. So needless to say they were pretty suprised. I hate fasting for any reason and have always eaten before the test. 2 years ago when I had it done I had eaten eggs, bacon, toast, and hasbrowns prior and it was 149. That is the highest it has ever been.

[quote]Doug644 wrote:
have 217 Cholesterol. Yet I do everything right. I am young; I
exercise 5 days per week; I take fish oils and flax seed oil; I have
11% body fat; I never smoke anything; and I eat organic healthy foods. I am convinced that my
numbers are up becuase of my genetics. Both of my parents have high
cholesterol. So here is my problem: I want to secure a good life
insurance rate so I need to make sure my cholesterol is low for the
test. I am being tested in 2 weeks. Is there any supplement I can
take to temporarily lower my Cholesterol for the blood test?

I have read that for home tests you can take Acetiminophen or Vitamin
C. [/quote]

It probably is genetic - you might also be one of the few people succeptable to dietary cholesterol. Do you eat eggs? Try not eating them for a few days then having your cholesterol tested.

Also, get a test done where the three major types are checked - HDL, LDL, and very low-density lipoprotein. If your HDL is above 60, it’s viewed as cancelling out total cholesterol being over 200 by the ACSM. Don’t know if your insurance company would care about that, though.

And the stuff others have said. Good luck.

-Dan

Sterols will lower your cholesterol significantly (up to 33%, I believe they claim).

Sterols are found in foods, but a good bet is Smart Balance butter.

Sterols, not steroids.

How Do You Beat A Cholesterol Test? Study for it. Alright, all kidding aside, how much time do you have? Stop eating meat for awhile if you are really serious about this. Most vegetarians while being seriously protein deficient are also very low on Cholesterol. Although, unless your Cholesterol/triglycerides levels are nuclear I don’t think they will make much difference in the premium you pay. The biggest consideration in premium costs is smoking (duh) followed by age.

Make sure to click on Tshaw’s link, and read Tampa Terry’s response. Can’t go wrong with TT’s advice.

[quote]TShaw wrote:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=572F2BDD765080673EF09B53B6E30848.hydra?id=532205

[/quote]

Drumsticks maybe? They’re good to beat drums - might be good for cholesterol tests.

Make sure also to read The Heart of The Matter, in my opinion the best atomic dog ever written.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=6988D2D8F0164545FF82700354E51842.hydra?id=459358