How Do They Name a Chemical Compound?

for example

how did Biotest come up with the name Carbolin 19 out of this?

colforsin 1,9-ethylcarbonate

[quote]provy07 wrote:
for example

how did Biotest come up with the name Carbolin 19 out of this?

colforsin 1,9-ethylcarbonate [/quote]

Most substance names are stemming in part, after the plant from which they are from, or in some cases, certain specific functional groups, or the parent compound for which it is derived, or a combination, or some other relation.

Often this is simply to save time so others can see a particular chemical name and recognize the molecule you’re referring to, instead of referring to it systematically. For example, it saves time to simply say “testosterone” versus 17 beta-hydroxyandrost-4-ene-3-one, using classic nomenclature.

Colforsin is much easier to recognize and much shorter than writing out the entire molecule using classic nomenclature (IUPAC).

In this case, the 1,9-ethylcarbonate is simply informing you that the EC esters are at the C-1 and C-9 positions of the molecule.

Carbolin 19 is not the chemical name, rather a brand name, which can be made up in any way. It’s a slightly different story when it comes to the brand names of drugs though.

Cy is full of it. Either that or he’s being modest.

People go directly to HIM and ask what he thinks the chemical name should be.

That’s how it really works.

[quote]David Barr wrote:

That’s how it really works.[/quote]

So it is a code for Cy Wilson compound 19?

Say that sounds like a good idea. I just ordered 2 bottles CW-19.

I didn’t order any MethoxCY 7 though.

I can be pretty thick at times. After all that rambling, I realize he was simply asking how products are named. I’m not the one who does it, but for instance with Carbolin 19, I’m guessing it was a combination of the “olin” from Colforsin or its synonym and the “carb” from the alkylcarbonate esters, and the 19, coming from the designation of the esters.

[quote]David Barr wrote:

That’s how it really works.[/quote]

That’s true…in Bizzaro world.

What happens in Bizzaro World stays in Bizzaro World.