How do These Weekend Warriors Bench so Much?

i’m at school gym and a lot of people squat/dl pathetic weight (or just do not do them) but there are many who are big guys above the waist and bench a ton. i’m going to assume most do not know what they are doing if they’re just doing some turdy split but i cannot explain how their bench is 225+ for reps (which would be great for me at 185).
i’ve only been on rippetoes and texas method, bench is weak at 225max :(.
tips, programs, comments, thoughts all welcome.

If they only focus on benching then they have to only recover from benching. This allows them to bench more often.

because they’re overall weaker and a shittier athlete than you. Thats why.

If I focused on bench for a few months, my leg and back strength would drop tremendously, but my bench would climbbbbb…

Its jokes, numbers mean shit unless they’re really high

very well. im gooing to generalize and say they do stuff like 3x8 or 3x10 on bb bench, then inclines, then dumbbells, etc. is that the most effective way to bring it up?

eigenhamr, wouldn’t that lead quicker to overtraining then? i’m kind of confused on how doing squats and such would affect recovery on the bench then.

HOW MUCHYA BENCH BRAH?!?

Seriously though my roommate is a prime example of this. His workouts all go like this… flat bench, decline bench, incline bench, and then maybe skull crushers and curls if the mood strikes him.

He can bench plenty more than me but can barely do a pullup.

[quote]kickureface wrote:
i’m at school gym and a lot of people squat/dl pathetic weight (or just do not do them) but there are many who are big guys above the waist and bench a ton. i’m going to assume most do not know what they are doing if they’re just doing some turdy split but i cannot explain how their bench is 225+ for reps (which would be great for me at 185).
i’ve only been on rippetoes and texas method, bench is weak at 225max :(.
tips, programs, comments, thoughts all welcome.[/quote]

you act like 225 is heavy, I know guys that bench that for reps and they workout once in a blue moon.

SHOCK

Training your bench muscles multiple times per week, and having nothing else to recover from can make your bench go up???

:o :o

[quote]kickureface wrote:
very well. im gooing to generalize and say they do stuff like 3x8 or 3x10 on bb bench, then inclines, then dumbbells, etc. is that the most effective way to bring it up?[/quote]

No. But it’s great proof that doing something is better than doing nothing.

[quote]
wouldn’t that lead quicker to overtraining then? i’m kind of confused on how doing squats and such would affect recovery on the bench then.[/quote]

Your body isn’t a collection of parts each with a certain level of recovery ability independent of all the others. All the muscular recovery comes from the same collection of proteins and other science stuff. Lifting also works the CNS which needs to recover itself.

If you’re spending your recovery resources on squat damage you have less to spend on bench damage. If you’re not squatting then you can spend all your recovery points on bench. This means you can bench more often.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
SHOCK

Training your bench muscles multiple times per week, and having nothing else to recover from can make your bench go up???

:o :o[/quote]

hanley, I dont understand, are you saying that you might not need a complicated program, and that hard work just might be important? Blasphemy.

Then again, maybe the definition of what “strong” is is the problem here, seeing as 225 for reps just isnt all that good, even at 185. This is the problem with that “elitist” attitude that is noted so proudly on the new site slogan. Just because you “know” more about benching doesnt mean you know the only way to get your bench up.

Although I guess it gives you a great number of excuses as to why the guy benching more is obviously weaker adn less athletic than you

down with hard work!!

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
Hanley wrote:
SHOCK

hanley, I dont understand, are you saying that you might not need a complicated program, and that hard work just might be important? Blasphemy.

Then again, maybe the definition of what “strong” is is the problem here, seeing as 225 for reps just isnt all that good, even at 185. This is the problem with that “elitist” attitude that is noted so proudly on the new site slogan. Just because you “know” more about benching doesnt mean you know the only way to get your bench up.

Although I guess it gives you a great number of excuses as to why the guy benching more is obviously weaker adn less athletic than you[/quote]

KBCThird,

I couldn’t agree more. This site is 99% talk, if it wasn’t for a handful of knowledgable[1] posters and a few good authors (CT is the first that comes to mind), I wouldn’t read a word from T-Nation.

[1]My definition of knowledge is specifically APPLIED knowledge. All this theoretical crap is only valuable IF it can be used to gain some significant results. As it relates to powerlifting anyone who’s lifted over 405-585-585(B-S-D), or totaled elite in their weightclass. As it relates to bodybuilding, anyone who has a lbm over 200 lb.

Props to posters and authors like:
ProfX
Bauer
1morerep
Meat (pictured above lifting 475 paused raw)
Hanley
Stallion
10% of T-Cell Alpha

CT
Charles Poliquin
Eric Cressey
Dan John
Dave Tate (more elitefts than T-Nation)
Dr. Clay Hyght

NOTE
I am NOT bashing newbies or individuals who aren’t strong/big. Asking questions of knowledgeable people is the first step. Posting questions for experts, is great. But you damn sure better listen and then APPLY YOUR NEWFOUND KNOWLEDGE AS OUTLINED: by eating, training and recovering the way you’ve been instructed!

I know a guy who has done the same workouts with about 25 sets of curling exercises for the last 6 years. He has big arms (not professional bodybuilder big, but bigger than more people on this site, myself included), but he can only bench 200 and I’d be shocked to see him squat that. I put on more muscle in a month than he does in a year.

If you train dumb but hard you get stronger. If you train smart and hard you’ll you’ll get much stronger much faster. Quit worrying about how much the other guys can bounce of their chest and do your thing.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
Hanley wrote:
SHOCK

Although I guess it gives you a great number of excuses as to why the guy benching more is obviously weaker adn less athletic than you[/quote]

Groundbreaking stuff we just hit on. +40 KBC points to both of us!!!

And Deat, good post! (and not just cos I made the list!)