T Nation

How do People in Basic Not Suffer on Their Lifts?

I’m going to be going to basic this summer and i’m not quite sure what i’m supposed to do about lifting.
If i stop my lifts for two-three months my strength will pretty much go back top where it was :frowning:
How do people handle this?

And i didn’t know where to post this, so…

I guess people can give their stories on how they kept their strength over that period.

Thanks

I’ve read that you lose 5% of your muscle each month you don’t lift. But just do body weight stuff as much as you can. Bench one of your buddies and squat with someone on your back lol

wtf is basic?

Basic training, military.

You will not have time to train and you will lose strength. You are young, it will come back quick, you will have a chow hall a nice weight room and everything else in school and then when you get to your base.

Which service?

I’m canadian and i’m going reserve. Don’t laugh :stuck_out_tongue:

It basically means i don’t have to serve but i find the army (which id go into) interesting and i think it would be fun.
I’m studying mechanical engineering and i think id like to be an aerospace engineer and the military has such positions. Getting my foot through the door right now.
When i get my degree ill apply for officer and go regular/full time.

You’re going to have times you cannot work out, get used to it. Or become a REMF, so you can keep business hours and wear cammies.

I went through USAF basic and we had zero time to do any lifting. They kept us busy every second of every day.

[quote]blazindave wrote:
I’m canadian and i’m going reserve. Don’t laugh :P[/quote]

Why would they laugh?

A Canadian Reservist is trained equal to, often better than, what many NATO partners consider “Special Forces”.

Nearly 3000 Canadian Reservists are serving in Afghanistan, a completely voluntary mission.

They are also the first-responders to any and all national emergencies.

Certainly places you a cut above any internet forum’s armchair warriors.

Be proud.

ElbowStrike

I know two guys who are reservists in the Canadian army. Both of them gained both muscle and fat during their training. I’m guessing the mass amounts of booze they drink at the barracks after each weekend of training doesn’t help haha.

what countries of NATO elbow? i’d love to hear this.

LOVE to hear this.

dave you won’t have enough time. just accept it i guess. i didn’t have time during officer basic and follow on schools. u’re not there to lift though, you’re there to train. when u get out it’ll come back soon enough.

glad to hear it man, i wish you the best of luck!

do you already have dates set?

[quote]ElbowStrike wrote:
blazindave wrote:
I’m canadian and i’m going reserve. Don’t laugh :stuck_out_tongue:

Why would they laugh?

A Canadian Reservist is trained equal to, often better than, what many NATO partners consider “Special Forces”.

Nearly 3000 Canadian Reservists are serving in Afghanistan, a completely voluntary mission.

They are also the first-responders to any and all national emergencies.

Certainly places you a cut above any internet forum’s armchair warriors.

Be proud.

ElbowStrike[/quote]

It was meant as a joke (cue canadian army boat pic) since most of the dudes here are american.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
what countries of NATO elbow? i’d love to hear this.

LOVE to hear this.

dave you won’t have enough time. just accept it i guess. i didn’t have time during officer basic and follow on schools. u’re not there to lift though, you’re there to train. when u get out it’ll come back soon enough.

glad to hear it man, i wish you the best of luck!

do you already have dates set?[/quote]

I’m going to go this monday to the recruit office. Hopefully i can start this summer.
Thanks for the luck :slight_smile:

Guess that’s too bad then, oh well.

Thanks guys

I was by no means strong when i went through USAF basic 8 years ago, but I was stronger when I went in and weighed about 170. When i graduated and went to tech school (where I could lift regularly and get back on something resembles a diet rather than just shoveling food in my pie hole 3 times a day) I was weighing around 145. I lost 25lbs in a 2 months of basic.

It’s not that bad though, I mean you’re probably a young guy, you’ll bounce right back once you’re out of basic. Go into it knowing you won’t have the time to lift and focus on getting through it and you’ll be better off when you graduate. Good luck, brutha

I’m not sure what the reservist training is like. In the '80s I did the officer basic training in Chilliwack for 3 months. If I were lifting then, I would have had time in the evenings from time to time if I were so inclined but we also had to study quite a bit.

The nice thing is that the mess food was decent and there was a shit ton of it but you have to get it down your neck when you can.

Have fun if they still do ‘prisoner of war’ games. Good times.

Just focus on what you’re there to do. If you have time, take advantage. If not, you’re young, you’ll rebound quickly.

[quote]blazindave wrote:

I’m going to go this monday to the recruit office. Hopefully i can start this summer.

Thanks guys
[/quote]

what’s to bad?

do you know what you want to do in the military?

You’re applying now and want in summer 09? Good luck. Sign up is long. I applied in november or so of 08 and did my medical march 19. They will get back to me 2-3 weeks before I can do my physical.

Edit: I am also worried about losses but I was thinking of just firing up good old rippetoes right after boot camp. That program really does boost strength levels incredibly fast.

I can only speak for going through USAF basic training. For starters, its only 6 weeks. That’s not that long. There is no way you could get your hands on any weight equip.

However, aside from your regular PT and walking all over BFE a couple weeks in our TI’s gave us more space. Before bed and during any free time people would pull a chair up to a bed and do dips, get under the bunks and do facepulls, pushups, situps, pullups and more pushups…

I don’t know how your Basic is or even how long it is but you will probably have time to do basic exercises amd you will be amazed at some of the ideas people have when it comes to creating an exercise of finding something to lift.

Good luck!

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
blazindave wrote:

Thanks guys

what’s to bad?

do you know what you want to do in the military?

[/quote]

It’s too bad that i can’t lift. I would have though that they’d encourage that.
I’m really interested in combat engineering/sapper.
When i graduate, i will apply for officer and a position in aerospace. For now combat engineer sounds like it’ll be pretty fun.

[quote]thekrown wrote:
You’re applying now and want in summer 09? Good luck. Sign up is long. I applied in november or so of 08 and did my medical march 19. They will get back to me 2-3 weeks before I can do my physical.

Edit: I am also worried about losses but I was thinking of just firing up good old rippetoes right after boot camp. That program really does boost strength levels incredibly fast.[/quote]

Damn, really? I m going to apply tomorrow. I thought the physical and medical were done the day you go to apply.

That sucks. I hope they process me fast i REALLY want to start this summer. Waiting a year to train for boot camp would suck hard.

I did basic training with the Danish army, 4 months, I was in the weight room 3-4 during that time, but the military training was, at times physically demanding, I kept my weight about 175 during the 4 months, I did experience some strength lose but after training for 2 months it was back up to where it was before. So I would not worry to much about it.

In Australia our basic training goes for 3 months then you have employment training after that.

You will be so tired at basic training the last thing you will be thinking about is lifting weights.

We did push ups every night one set of max and 4 sets of half of that as apart of our training and we did the same with pull ups and that was just befor bed at 9:30 and it hurt alot.

But in general your fitness will go down if you are very fit at basic and you will lose some strength but you gain things like mental toughness so in the long run you will be better off.