How do People Bench with No Arch?

I don’t understand how people can bench with no arch and just flat back. When I set up for the bench press and pull my scapula together and such and just lay on the bench, my back is already arched and it’s hard to keep it flat.
The only way I can keep my back completely flat while still having my scapula together is to put my feet up.

Do you guys find it more impressive with the bench not using as much leg drive. I see tons of big benches with guys looking like they use NO leg drive at all and I don’t understand it, how they can have their back look flat and feet with no set up.

Thing about “flat” back" is there isn’t a stable platform for benching.

The arch with leg drive stabilizes the lower body, it also locks the upper torso so that the bench motion (hopefully) only can travel in the groove, with no loss of efficiency.

Arch and leg drive is within the rules.

Its similar to tight form and excellent technique with cleaning, vs common sloppy form on cleaning. Good and tight form is not cheating the bit.

[quote]rasturai wrote:
I don’t understand how people can bench with no arch and just flat back. When I set up for the bench press and pull my scapula together and such and just lay on the bench, my back is already arched and it’s hard to keep it flat.
The only way I can keep my back completely flat while still having my scapula together is to put my feet up.

Do you guys find it more impressive with the bench not using as much leg drive. I see tons of big benches with guys looking like they use NO leg drive at all and I don’t understand it, how they can have their back look flat and feet with no set up.[/quote]

Usually it’s the bigger guys that don’t arch because they have a big base anyways. Not always, though. Also, it seems like good, timed leg drive shouldn’t be very noticeable.

I used to bench flat-backed until training for powerlifting. I am STILL getting the form down and cannot get the freaky arch you see crazy lifters having.

Also, leg drive has not made much of a difference for me yet, which probably means I have technique issues still.

My buddy Billy can bench around 500 and he doesnt arch,way more impresive to me.

[quote]horsepuss wrote:
My buddy Billy can bench around 500 and he doesnt arch,way more impreesive to me.[/quote]

LOL!

i was about to write that i bench 365 with no arch, glad i caught this first.

yes, i find it more impressive when there is no arch in a lifter.

Arched Back = Good Form

Personally, I find it impressive when lifters use proper form.

See #2

Cressey is God.

It’s interesting, I get YouTube comments bitching about my arch, but after learning how to do it, use my shoulders and back right, etc., I really can’t bench any other way. I don’t feel stable. I don’t feel like my arch is all that big, until I see a video of it (and it’s still not huge compared to some people).

[quote]CrookedCrown wrote:
Personally, I find it impressive when lifters use proper form.

[/quote]

agreed, but i feel there is a difference in a 405lb bench between and arched and flat backed lifter.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:

agreed, but i feel there is a difference in a 405lb bench between and arched and flat backed lifter.

[/quote]

Oh, definitely. No argument here. A flat-backed bench showcases some amazing, pure chest/shoulder strength. My point was…take that 405 flat-backed bencher, put his heels underneath him, get his lower back in the air, teach him to leg-drive, and watch him put up 455 like butter.

Its kinda like how simply tightening up my core ( lowback/abs ) over a couple of years added over 100lbs to my squat without ever squatting…

When I see someone who is floppy from the abdomen down on bench, I think “Bubba” - even if its alot of weight.

Also being floppy and not having a stable base is going to make it easier to injure yourself.

From your comments, I need to learn correct bar path and “leg drive” - might be 25lbs or more in it for me.

Clearly none of you have watched Mike Bridges or Ed Coan bench.

Just realized that upon further inspection my raw arch isn’t really an arch at all. My lower back is slightly above the bench. Guess it feels like arching because i keep my back very tight.

In the shirt is another thing…

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
It’s interesting, I get YouTube comments bitching about my arch, but after learning how to do it, use my shoulders and back right, etc., I really can’t bench any other way. I don’t feel stable. I don’t feel like my arch is all that big, until I see a video of it (and it’s still not huge compared to some people).[/quote]

Vid, or it didn’t happen!

Really, I just wanted to watch a vid of you lifting {creeps back into a corner}

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
It’s interesting, I get YouTube comments bitching about my arch, but after learning how to do it, use my shoulders and back right, etc., I really can’t bench any other way. I don’t feel stable. I don’t feel like my arch is all that big, until I see a video of it (and it’s still not huge compared to some people).[/quote]

Post these videos.

I, uh, need to check my form, and shit…

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
Clearly none of you have watched Mike Bridges or Ed Coan bench.[/quote]

Ed Coan! Now there’s a name that shrivels my testes. Total badass. But you have to admit, Ed’s torso did not have much room for much of arch. Hell, his feet barely touch the floor while lying on a flat bench. That guy had a fantastic build for squats and deads. Might have something to do with his 2500 total…

I especially love this T-Nation interview where he basically says “fuck box squats, fuck bands and chains, fuck all this newfangled lifting equipment, just eat a lot and lift.”

Well I’m not pushmepull me. But here’s a video of my benching technique and such so you can all see…I don’t think I have a very big arch…but to me a more flat back look, looks more impressive to me. So anyways this was a while ago…365 bench. I’ve been in the 405 thread…so I’m much closer to 405…and most likely the next video I post will be a 405 bench press…but how does it look because this is the same form that I will have for that 405 bench. Thanks.

I don’t know if the video uploaded so I’ll give it another shot.

trying again…

i saw my first real powerlifter after about 2 years of lifting in highschool and after seeing what he did i mimicked him and started arching my back, then i found that benching didnt hurt my shoulders like it did before