How Do Low Carb'ers Get Enough Fibre?

I have never understood why people count veggies as carbs and calories towards their daily macros. I really don’t think you can eat too many veggies unless its a insane amount every meal, but then you would just shit like a dinosaur.

If you want more fiber, eat more veggies(leafy mostly). Don’t worry about the “carbs” because it’s mostly fiber.

when this is all done can we talk about the girls in your avatar?

[quote]chuckaboo86 wrote:
On the top of “probiotics”, what types would you recommend? I’ve been taking DanActive for the past while…however i just found out in Canada - that they are getting sued for false advertising. Basically they have to remove anything that says it helps. Makes me question the effective of it…plus it has like 15g of sugar per bottle…[/quote]

No doubt those high-sugar yogurt options are turrible.

Greek yogurt, sauerkraut-from-grocer’s-refrigerated-section, and kimchi are all part of my regular rotation and a big nod to T-Nation contributor Jason Maxwell for recommending those last two:

edit - would also add that I’ve seen better success with the whole food options listed above than with probiotics in capsule form

[quote]chillain wrote:
[
Greek yogurt, sauerkraut-from-grocer’s-refrigerated-section, and kimchi are all part of my regular rotation and a big nod to T-Nation contributor Jason Maxwell for recommending those last two:

[/quote]

Kimchi is one of those things I really wish I liked but man, the crap taste beyond awful… and all the boxes of Tic Tacs in the world couldn’t quench the dragon breath it causes.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
[/quote]

Yes, their open toe shoes are very nice…

Do this twice a day:

Psyllium husk mixed 50/50 with wheat bran. Get it at your supermarket. Cheap.

5 heaped teaspoons in half a glass of water. Stir it up and down it straight away. If you let it sit it goes all jelly and slimy.

You now have soluble and insoluble fiber which is necessary for all sorts of things, including a clean bowel and cholesterol control. I have been on the metabolic diet for a long time now and this works just fine.

Everything else is just horse shit.

[quote]chillain wrote:

On the top of “probiotics”, what types would you recommend? I’ve been taking DanActive for the past while…however i just found out in Canada - that they are getting sued for false advertising. Basically they have to remove anything that says it helps. Makes me question the effective of it…plus it has like 15g of sugar per bottle…[/quote]

No doubt those high-sugar yogurt options are turrible.

edit - would also add that I’ve seen better success with the whole food options listed above than with probiotics in capsule form
[/quote]

Two issues w/ pro-biotics:

1. before the industrial revolution, nobody ate artificial ingredients or took antibiotics (kill good bacteria as well as bad, like carpet bombing), so whole food sources were enough to maintain

2. you need to get the good bacteria through the stomach - where stomach acid will kill them - and into the intestine. The calcium of yogurt, for example, neutralizes stomach acid for a while; however, if you eat a bunch of other food before or along with it, you slow the gastric emptying, giving the acid time to kill the probiotics. If taking a pill, take it on an empty stomach, and wait a while before eating. Even yogurt would be best first thing in the a.m. for this reason.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
[/quote]

Also, more pics of them.

I just cooked up some kielbasa with sauerkraut last night, and my stomach did NOT take kindly to it… bloating and pain. (I’m assuming it was the sauerkraut, not the kielbasa.)

Is there any sort of “adjustment” period required with probiotic treatments or probiotic foods? Should I basically just keep eating the sauerkraut for a week or two and let everything adjust?

[quote]LoRez wrote:
I just cooked up some kielbasa with sauerkraut last night, and my stomach did NOT take kindly to it… bloating and pain. (I’m assuming it was the sauerkraut, not the kielbasa.)

Is there any sort of “adjustment” period required with probiotic treatments or probiotic foods? Should I basically just keep eating the sauerkraut for a week or two and let everything adjust?[/quote]

Sauerkraut can cause bloating, like fiber it takes a while to get used to if your previous intake was low. With that said I would not be so quick to dismiss the Kielbasa. Personally, any type of fatty sausage gives me upset stomach, indigestion and heartburn.

Hey guys,

So I see a lot of guys that were former fatties go on low carb, moderate/ high pro and fat diets to shed the fat.

The problem I am racking in my head is, where the heck do you guys get your fibre sources from? I see a lot of diets posted here and majority of them do not mention any/ enough sources of vegetables.

I’m counting all calories - and fruits and vegetables are counted as carb sources for me…incase you were wondering.

To give you an example - if i eat a true low carb diet - my shits become irregular.

Anyone?[/quote]

Most all vegetables have fiber and are also low in carbohydrates. What little carbohydrate exists in them is mostly digested by gut bacteria. The fiber itself is fermented into usable sugars for the gut to use and fatty acids which cannot be used because the gut is an anaerobic environment and thus must pass into the bloodstream for us to use. A small percentage of the weight of vegetable matter passes into the bloodstream as short chain fatty acids and not as carbohydrate. Virtually none of the carbohydrates in leafy green vegetable, broccoli, or cabbage, for example, will enter the bloodstream as glucose.

Eat a couple cups of spinach and your blood-glucose should not even budge - just don’t eat store bought salad dressing on it.