T Nation

How Do I Stack Up?

I’m going to cut a little over the next few weeks, but would love to know where you guys think I stack up right now.

Cheers, Blaine

I’m going to say you are lacking in the shoulders and traps. Why are you cutting?

[quote]bluepulse wrote:
I’m going to say you are lacking in the shoulders and traps. Why are you cutting?[/quote]

Thanks for your comments! I cut once per year for the summer. I don’t compete.

[quote]bluepulse wrote:
I’m going to say you are lacking in the shoulders and traps. Why are you cutting?[/quote]

Because he WANTS to.

Good proportions for a lean, muscular and in shape look. I can tell you’ve put a lot of work in…but the rug would need to go if I were you.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
bluepulse wrote:
I’m going to say you are lacking in the shoulders and traps. Why are you cutting?

Because he WANTS to.

Good proportions for a lean, muscular and in shape look. I can tell you’ve put a lot of work in…but the rug would need to go if I were you.

[/quote]

LOTFL…“the rug”

Hilarious! Yeah, I trim it down but never fully take it off. It looks a little funny when you’re Italian and your eyebrows could alone could serve as a wig for the bald ;0)

Thanks for the rating and comments. My goals are mostly fitness/athletic oriented with solid lean muscle mass.

Cheers, Blaine

you’re gonna get super shreded. do you worry about losing muscle mass while at those bf levels?

any specific diet that you’re using?

the chest hair looks fine to me, I would not shave it. my opinion if that was me facing the mirror.

8 for decent upper proportianlity, would have liked to see the legs for full validity of score.
laters pk

[quote]pkradgreek wrote:
you’re gonna get super shreded. do you worry about losing muscle mass while at those bf levels?

any specific diet that you’re using?[/quote]

I’m a Precision Nutrition (John Berardi) follower. They created a personalized diet for me…G-FLUX baby! I get to eat a ton of the right kinds of food with my extremely hardcore training. So, I certainly think about whether I’m losing muscle mass, but the program and supplements I’m using seem to be doing the trick. Thanks for the comments!

Can we get some stats? What are your lifts, height and weight?

PC

[quote]ProfessorCHAOS96 wrote:

PC[/quote]

Weight: 195
Body Fat: 6.8% (7 pt)
Bench: 405
Deadlift: 500
Squat: 3 knee surgeries have me training volume more than poundage

Most of training surrounds complexes (like you’ll find in Alwyn Cosgrove’s Afterburn II), circuit training with undulating periodization, and functional core related stuff.

Cheers, Blaine

[quote]BlaineDavidson wrote:
ProfessorCHAOS96 wrote:

PC

Most of training surrounds complexes (like you’ll find in Alwyn Cosgrove’s Afterburn II), circuit training with undulating periodization, and functional core related stuff.

Cheers, Blaine

[/quote]

Not bad.

Please explain the “functional core related stuff” though…please tell me youre not talking about one legged upside down bosu ball cable abductions, right?

I remember reading that Berardi does something similar to you by cutting bodyfat once yearly. Given your current low level of bodyfat and strength level, I really think you could spend a few months focusing specifically on hypertrophy training at an increased caloric intake and gain a good amount of mostly lean mass. That is of course what I would do, but as scar said, its your body and your decision.

Good work.

i gave ya an 8! you look great, but in my opinion could use some more shoulders/traps…but you got a great athetic look for sure! great work man, definiltey could tell you have paid your dues in the gym and out of the gym with your diet and what not…keep up the hard work

[quote]fightingtiger wrote:
BlaineDavidson wrote:
ProfessorCHAOS96 wrote:

PC

Cheers, Blaine

Not bad.

Please explain the “functional core related stuff” though…please tell me youre not talking about one legged upside down bosu ball cable abductions, right?

I remember reading that Berardi does something similar to you by cutting bodyfat once yearly. Given your current low level of bodyfat and strength level, I really think you could spend a few months focusing specifically on hypertrophy training at an increased caloric intake and gain a good amount of mostly lean mass. That is of course what I would do, but as scar said, its your body and your decision.

Good work.[/quote]

I just got done with a hypertrophy phase. In January I was 175 lbs and 4% body fat…I had a photo shoot opportunity. Since then I’ve put on 20 lbs and maintained body fat between 6.5-8%. I’m really not looking to get much bigger, but I definitely want to enhace my under developed areas (i.e. shoulders, traps, etc.).

As for the functional stuff, I do quite a bit work with physio balls, single legged stuff (i.e. deadlifts, standing scott presses; alot of traditional stuff but with the twist of putting myself in a position where I have to engage my entire kinetic chain), balance, stability and mobility. I’ve got a lot of injuries from playing sports when I was younger, it’s the only type of training (in addition to more traditional training) that enables my body to work effectively with less pain.

awesome lift numbers. sounds like you’ll be in this for life. :slight_smile: glad to see others like that around. stay healthy. laters pk

how tall are you?

[quote]fightingtiger wrote:
how tall are you?[/quote]

6 ft

I think that if you really want to add much size to your shoulders/traps, then you are going to have to gain some weight. 195 at 6 foot is still relative light and you could easily carry 15-20 more lbs of lean mass without hurting your athletic abilities or making yourself look bigger than you would probably like.

What about the legs?

To be honest I think you have better shoulders and traps than implied by other posters here. Your pose doesn’t make them look good.

You look great and already look ready for the beach, so I’m interested in how much bodyfat you want to end up with. At 6’ 195, you’re a bit light–are your legs proportional to your upper body?

I just feel like you will lose too much size.

[quote]BF Bullpup wrote:
To be honest I think you have better shoulders and traps than implied by other posters here. Your pose doesn’t make them look good.

You look great and already look ready for the beach, so I’m interested in how much bodyfat you want to end up with. At 6’ 195, you’re a bit light–are your legs proportional to your upper body?

I just feel like you will lose too much size.[/quote]

I’ll regulate down to 5-6%. However, I should probably mention that I’m not cutting in the traditional sense; I’m not creating a crazy caloric deficit. Just enough to maintain muscle mass (if not increase a little). Here’s my nutrient breakdowns:

1. Training day (6 meals and pre/post Surge)
    2682 calories
    221 protein
    232 carbs
    96 fat

2. Off training w/HIIT (5 meals)
    2402 calories
    218 protein
    141 carbs
    106 fat

3. Off (5 meals)
    1905 calories
    177 protein
    118 carbs
    83 fat

So while these counts are typically quite higher than a normal cutting cycle, they’re actually creating a solid deficit giving the level of my training…G-flux Berardi style!

Re the comments about my legs, they are athletically in oustanding shape and have great muscle definition, however because of 3 knee surgeries, I would say they are a little dissproportionate…but not that off. I have to limit how hard I train them. Don’t get me wrong, one of my primary objectives is to continually add leg mass and increase strength, I just have to be careful.

Cheers, Blaine

195 give me a break try more like 175 who are u fooling.

[quote]jmossthnp wrote:
195 give me a break try more like 175 who are u fooling.[/quote]

What is the point to this post?