T Nation

How Do I Reach a 405 Squat?

Threads like these are confusing when you have the OP blocked. I’d forgotten this guy existed.

Haha i just found this thread by accident. I had forgotten that i posted such an idiotic question. As an update i managed to loose 30 pounds. Im on 531 and the program is working fine so far. Im 4 cycles away from a 405 squat if progress continues as it is. Im stronger and ligther than when i wrote this. I also am doing much better still novice but im on the correct path.

[quote]marvin1993 wrote:
Haha i just found this thread by accident. I had forgotten that i posted such an idiotic question. As an update i managed to loose 30 pounds. Im on 531 and the program is working fine so far. Im 4 cycles away from a 405 squat if progress continues as it is. Im stronger and ligther than when i wrote this. I also am doing much better still novice but im on the correct path.[/quote]
Good job bro. It’s consistency, hard work, and decent training.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]marvin1993 wrote:
Thanks i am going to do 5/3/1 i just wanted to try madcow 5x5 before doing 5/3/1. My first focus is to squat 405 reason why i did not do 5/3/1 yet is because madcow has worked for many people and it is faster progress. Once i am done with madcow i am moving onto 5/3/1. Or if i stall on madcow i will move onto 5/3/1. [/quote]

Madcow does not have faster progress than 5/3/1. The progtams do not dictate progress, it is the user.[/quote]

The beginners mistake is that Madcow actually does progress faster in the short term, but it could not be followed for 12 months without stalling

[quote]Facepalm_Death wrote:

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]marvin1993 wrote:
Thanks i am going to do 5/3/1 i just wanted to try madcow 5x5 before doing 5/3/1. My first focus is to squat 405 reason why i did not do 5/3/1 yet is because madcow has worked for many people and it is faster progress. Once i am done with madcow i am moving onto 5/3/1. Or if i stall on madcow i will move onto 5/3/1. [/quote]

Madcow does not have faster progress than 5/3/1. The progtams do not dictate progress, it is the user.[/quote]

The beginners mistake is that Madcow actually does progress faster in the short term, but it could not be followed for 12 months without stalling[/quote]

I would have to disagree with this based on the fact that 5/3/1 uses a training max and minimal reps to hit, with the intent being that the trainee does MORE than the minimum if they are able to.

The progression is up to the trainee, not the programming.

Following up on your own statement from four months ago… current pics?

[quote]marvin1993 wrote:
Im stronger and ligther than when i wrote this. I also am doing much better still novice but im on the correct path.[/quote]
So you currently weigh 170-something and squat in the mid-300s? Very nice on the strength gains. But last you mentioned, in that thread above from August, you were (still) around 175 and were going to try building muscle.

Hey i haven’t been much on T Nation since i was posting those silly questions. My squat is at the mid 300s and i think i will hit 405 in late spring early summer. My primary focus is to gain muscle and strength. Im sticking to 5/3/1 for an entire year. Im doing a modified 5/3/1 with a powerlifting coach. The help i am getting from this training group is great. My form is better than it was before and i am having fun with 5/3/1. We add some sled work and some reverse hypers some days. I have been doing boring but big on my squat and bench and i cannot complain. I trust the coach and my gym and it does help my confidence in the training group knowing that Jim Wendler himself gave my gym permission to use his program as a class.

here is a picture of me before i started 5/3/1 this was taken at the end of my diet

This is a picture of me on 5/3/1 im a Bit heavier than when i ended my diet but i am stronger i hope to continue to grow with minifal fat gains. http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz326/marvin1993/bbgn_zps7495ce23.jpg

the physique can use a ton of help! but like others said i must focus on one thing and that is to get stronger. once i have a solid base then it may be time to make my body look better :slight_smile:

I hate to be that guy, but I’m doubting the legitimacy of your squat numbers…

i would post a video on here but im not going for another 1 rep max until 5 more cycles.

[quote]marvin1993 wrote:
i would post a video on here but im not going for another 1 rep max until 5 more cycles. [/quote]

it’s ok, I can wait.

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]marvin1993 wrote:
i would post a video on here but im not going for another 1 rep max until 5 more cycles. [/quote]

it’s ok, I can wait.[/quote]

Or just post a vid of a PR set, e.g. reps at 315. No reason it has to be a 1RM.

yogi why do you doubt what i squat? i have an old video of me squatting 325 from a while ago.

Ill take a video in 4 weeks when i go for 270lbs x10 on the squat. I managed 260 x10 last cycle with at least 1 more maybe 2 reps left in the tank.

[quote]marvin1993 wrote:
yogi why do you doubt what i squat? i have an old video of me squatting 325 from a while ago. [/quote]

I’m just a cynical old dog Marvin, and to be honest you don’t look like you could. I’m not trying to insult you, and I apologise if that’s how it comes across.

I will await your video

I’m assuming that you recently made this goal (not because of the new year) but if you didn’t you wouldn’t be asking about leaning out. It would have already started happening. This is a long process that is going to take a lot longer then you think it will.

Cleaning up your diet is just the start of your process which will call Operation Lean and Mean. There are two things to realize when looking at diet. 1. Quality constitues in fat loss and takes along time, however it does not hinder strength gains. 2. Amount of Calories Taken In, this is going to drop the weight very fast, however, bye goes the weight, so to goes the strength.

I’m assuming this decision is based more on estethic than weightloss and you would be happy to look like Pudzianowski weither you weigh 185 or 215. If so, your best bet is to worry more about quality of food and being patient with the weight loss (if any) and keep focusing on gaining strength. Trust me, you’ll need the extra calories to gain strength, especially when dealing with squatting.
Another huge factor that people look past is the benefits of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) and the instant impact it has on fat lose.

Sucks to do, but once you see the benefits of it, you won’t be able to get enough of it. That and it will actually help you recover from the high volume work you will need to do to get that 405lb backsquat.

To answer your question about the backsquat, consider each rep you do 10 lbs closer to your goal. So if you want to do 405 then you would need to hit these weights for this amount of reps.
305x10 reps
355x5 reps
375x3 reps
Etc.
Your best bet is to get on a three day a week program focusing on Backsquats, Deadlifts and Front Squats. This will work the three most important factors to your squat. 1. Legs 2. Back 3. Core
Make sure to work high percentages with a lot of intensity. Meaning, you’ll need to squat your ass off.
Hope this helps!

no problem yogi no offense taken. but lifting is not about looks. I have seen plenty of guys with no muscle size at all outsquat people who are huge.

[quote]marvin1993 wrote:
no problem yogi no offense taken. but lifting is not about looks. I have seen plenty of guys with no muscle size at all outsquat people who are huge.[/quote]

absolutely man, I have seen it myself

As promised yogi here is my squat video this is me doing 270 x10

Why do you squat with such a high bar and wide stance?