How Do I Reach a 405 Squat?

Im 80 pounds from squatting 405 for a one rep max, My current max is 325lbs. The problem right now is that i want to drop body fat and madcow 5x5 is a tough program i just finished week 2. I dont think i will progress much with a caloric deficit. I want to be leaner and stronger. Im 203 lbs and i would like to get down to 185. I cleaned up my diet and i really dont each much junk.

My diet consist of 1 percent milk protein poweder,mashed potatoes,chicken,fruits and veggies. Im not gaining weight or losing it. When i cut out the fast food i always remain at relatively the same BW.

Just worry about getting strong man until you Squat 4 and pull 5 that’s all you need to do. Keep getting stronger.

You will need to choose what you want to do first. Drop weight or squat 405. Pick one and execute it and then do the other.

[quote]marvin1993 wrote:
How do i reach a 405 Squat?

I want to be leaner and stronger.[/quote]
Do 5/3/1 for 12 months.

/thread.

Seriously, end of freaking thread.

People have said this to you many, many, many, many, many times before and it’s just been wasted advice.

Don’t bother setting goals for three months from now. Plan on putting your head down, not giving in to training ADHD, and making dramatic progress over the next year (or two).

Chris, there are usually a few different answers to all these threads, but I agree with you that the answer is usually to simply do 531, plan assistance accordingly, eat, and shut up.

But whatever…

Thanks i am going to do 5/3/1 i just wanted to try madcow 5x5 before doing 5/3/1. My first focus is to squat 405 reason why i did not do 5/3/1 yet is because madcow has worked for many people and it is faster progress. Once i am done with madcow i am moving onto 5/3/1. Or if i stall on madcow i will move onto 5/3/1.

[quote]marvin1993 wrote:
Thanks i am going to do 5/3/1 i just wanted to try madcow 5x5 before doing 5/3/1. My first focus is to squat 405 reason why i did not do 5/3/1 yet is because madcow has worked for many people and it is faster progress. Once i am done with madcow i am moving onto 5/3/1. Or if i stall on madcow i will move onto 5/3/1. [/quote]

Madcow does not have faster progress than 5/3/1. The progtams do not dictate progress, it is the user.

I have done both 5x5 and 5/3/1 programs and I liked both of them. I started with the 5x5 first also but it was because I didnt know about 5/3/1. I gained strength from both but it all depends on your eating and intensity/training in the gym but smart at the same time.

water instead and switch the mash potatoes to white rice and sweet potatoes for 3 weeks or so the switch it up

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]marvin1993 wrote:
How do i reach a 405 Squat?

I want to be leaner and stronger.[/quote]
Do 5/3/1 for 12 months.

/thread.

Seriously, end of freaking thread.

People have said this to you many, many, many, many, many times before and it’s just been wasted advice.

Don’t bother setting goals for three months from now. Plan on putting your head down, not giving in to training ADHD, and making dramatic progress over the next year (or two).[/quote]

Really?!

You’re going to rip a 20 year old for asking that question? I’d be happy to answer any lifting question from any 20 year old. Why don’t you just tell him to stick to playing his XBOX? If you have nothing to add to an impressionable young man, move on. It called teaching and learning, of which I have a feeling you know neither.

Now to answer the question. You are going to need to hit 370x3. This advice is going to be hard to understand but forget about 405. Focus on getting 330x5, then the 370x3, that will make the 405 just a formality. Stay away from singles or doubles, the risk to reward is not there. Singles build only one thing; egos.

I assume you are lifting with standard equipment, i.e.45 lb bar, 45 lb plates. This may sound silly but it works. Why did you pic 405? Because it has 4 big plates on each side! 405 is 405 right? but for some reason, when you grab that “EXTRA” plate it becomes intimidating to even look at. So put on 3 45s, 1 25 and 2 10s. when the time comes.

Stay focused and remember Rome was not built in a day. Clean your diet up but settle for 198, you’ll be fine.

For the people that don’t like Chris’s answer, please check the OP’s history before getting your panties in a knot.

[quote]JFG wrote:
For the people that don’t like Chris’s answer, please check the OP’s history before getting your panties in a knot.[/quote]

Or just realize that it’s an open forum on the internet. But I agree with you.

Also, it will be harder squatting any given weight if your body weight decreases, even if your strength remains the same. Another reason to not drop weight too drastically if your goal is to increase your squat.

[quote]doublelung84 wrote:
Really?!

You’re going to rip a 20 year old for asking that question?[/quote]
With this particular guy, yes I am.

In the last two months, he’s had four different threads all asking some variation of “I wanna get stronger and leaner, how should I train?” and he’s gotten solid advice each time. He also had more than a few threads before that, still asking more or less the same thing, and the answers have always been pretty consistent.

So, again, yes I’m now busting his balls a bit, because he keeps asking similar questions, he keeps getting similar answers, and it’s just not sinking it. Fucking Jim Wendler himself replied to a thread and told the guy “Choose a path and don’t look back”, but it wasn’t enough. I don’t know if he wants people to just “yes” him to death, if he gets distracted and has some issues focusing on goals, or what.

I have managed to pull info out from him that he’s been eating like shit recently. He finally realized it and I think that’s part of why he wants to drop fat. So, it’s not like I’m being an entirely unhelpful prick.

I’m not above reproach by any means, and I’m certainly not King Shit around here, but you do sound like an absolute doofus saying this to me.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]doublelung84 wrote:
Really?!

You’re going to rip a 20 year old for asking that question?[/quote]
With this particular guy, yes I am.

In the last two months, he’s had four different threads all asking some variation of “I wanna get stronger and leaner, how should I train?” and he’s gotten solid advice each time. He also had more than a few threads before that, still asking more or less the same thing, and the answers have always been pretty consistent.

So, again, yes I’m now busting his balls a bit, because he keeps asking similar questions, he keeps getting similar answers, and it’s just not sinking it. Fucking Jim Wendler himself replied to a thread and told the guy “Choose a path and don’t look back”, but it wasn’t enough. I don’t know if he wants people to just “yes” him to death, if he gets distracted and has some issues focusing on goals, or what.

I have managed to pull info out from him that he’s been eating like shit recently. He finally realized it and I think that’s part of why he wants to drop fat. So, it’s not like I’m being an entirely unhelpful prick.

I’m not above reproach by any means, and I’m certainly not King Shit around here, but you do sound like an absolute doofus saying this to me.[/quote]

My friend, I was unaware that there was so much history with the OP; I just viewed it as an attack on a young man. I apologize for any perceived attack on you. You can be “King Shit” if you want the title, I’m good with that.

Signed,
Your humble servant,
Doofis

Threads like these are confusing when you have the OP blocked. I’d forgotten this guy existed.

Haha i just found this thread by accident. I had forgotten that i posted such an idiotic question. As an update i managed to loose 30 pounds. Im on 531 and the program is working fine so far. Im 4 cycles away from a 405 squat if progress continues as it is. Im stronger and ligther than when i wrote this. I also am doing much better still novice but im on the correct path.

[quote]marvin1993 wrote:
Haha i just found this thread by accident. I had forgotten that i posted such an idiotic question. As an update i managed to loose 30 pounds. Im on 531 and the program is working fine so far. Im 4 cycles away from a 405 squat if progress continues as it is. Im stronger and ligther than when i wrote this. I also am doing much better still novice but im on the correct path.[/quote]
Good job bro. It’s consistency, hard work, and decent training.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]marvin1993 wrote:
Thanks i am going to do 5/3/1 i just wanted to try madcow 5x5 before doing 5/3/1. My first focus is to squat 405 reason why i did not do 5/3/1 yet is because madcow has worked for many people and it is faster progress. Once i am done with madcow i am moving onto 5/3/1. Or if i stall on madcow i will move onto 5/3/1. [/quote]

Madcow does not have faster progress than 5/3/1. The progtams do not dictate progress, it is the user.[/quote]

The beginners mistake is that Madcow actually does progress faster in the short term, but it could not be followed for 12 months without stalling

[quote]Facepalm_Death wrote:

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]marvin1993 wrote:

Madcow does not have faster progress than 5/3/1. The progtams do not dictate progress, it is the user.[/quote]

The beginners mistake is that Madcow actually does progress faster in the short term, but it could not be followed for 12 months without stalling[/quote]

I would have to disagree with this based on the fact that 5/3/1 uses a training max and minimal reps to hit, with the intent being that the trainee does MORE than the minimum if they are able to.

The progression is up to the trainee, not the programming.

Following up on your own statement from four months ago… current pics?

[quote]marvin1993 wrote:
Im stronger and ligther than when i wrote this. I also am doing much better still novice but im on the correct path.[/quote]
So you currently weigh 170-something and squat in the mid-300s? Very nice on the strength gains. But last you mentioned, in that thread above from August, you were (still) around 175 and were going to try building muscle.