How Do I Know When I am Overtraining?

I am pretty new to this stuff so here is the quick version.

My routine:
Planks
Bench Press
Squat
Lat Pull Down
Power Clean
Weighted Lunge
Dead Lift
Tricep Push Down with lat machine
Hamstring Curl
Quad Extention
Bicep Lat Pull Down

I do this 3 times a week. 12x3 with every rep as fast as possible without breaking form or grinding.

I have done this workout 5 times and have seen increases in every lift. I feel like my increases are due to becoming familar with heavy weight and not stregnth improvement.

Regardless, I am wondering if it is possible to Over Train? During my lift tonight, I threw up. I have thrown up before but only when doing lots of sprints when I was in HS for sports… I was going extra hard at everything tonight… Would the same concept apply to lifting as it does to sprinting??

Did my intensity of this specific workout cause me to vomit, just as intense running would?? OR, am i over doing it??

Thanks!

[quote]The8thDeadlySin wrote:
I am pretty new to this stuff so here is the quick version.

My routine:
Planks
Bench Press
Squat
Lat Pull Down
Power Clean
Weighted Lunge
Dead Lift
Tricep Push Down with lat machine
Hamstring Curl
Quad Extention
Bicep Lat Pull Down

I do this 3 times a week. 12x3 with every rep as fast as possible without breaking form or grinding.

I have done this workout 5 times and have seen increases in every lift. I feel like my increases are due to becoming familar with heavy weight and not stregnth improvement.

Regardless, I am wondering if it is possible to Over Train? During my lift tonight, I threw up. I have thrown up before but only when doing lots of sprints when I was in HS for sports… I was going extra hard at everything tonight… Would the same concept apply to lifting as it does to sprinting??

Did my intensity of this specific workout cause me to vomit, just as intense running would?? OR, am i over doing it??

Thanks![/quote]

You throwing up has nothing to do with you overtraining. The Puking was a result of the state you were in at this point, i.e. you were training too hard or felt sick to begin with. Or both. It’s nothing you should actively seek, but it happens and won’t kill you. Overtraining starts when you notice the following things:

• you have trouble sleeping
  • you lose your appetite
  • for a full month, your strength stalls or decreases
  • you feel weak in the middle of the day; especially your grip strength is going downhill

Mind you, it’s very hard to reach this state by training 3x/week. And even then, it’s often true that

“you’re not overtrained; you’re under-conditioned and under-nourished.”

That being said… You’re doing to much for my taste. If I were you, I’d do less exercises and more sets/intensity for each remaining one.

Get on a proven program. That is the best thing you can possibly do right now.

starting strength
texas method
juggernaut method
5/3/1
Westside for skinny bastards

Read those, pick the one you like best, and follow it exactly as written.

How not to puke at the gym(a step by step guide from Germany):

1. Don’t eat too much before your workout!
    A 6-course-menu is definitely not your choice of pre Workout nutrition.
    Greasy meals don’t do you well either, it takes a long time for your body to digest them.
    A bowl of muesli or a banana 40mins before you go to war is the best choice.

2. Don’t drink too much, and don’t drink the wrong stuff!
    I know it’s hard not to down a whole bottle of water right after a hard fought set.
    Though, forcing yourself to do only a few sips between sets will be a lot better.
    Avoid drinks with carbon dioxid-they will only make you feel bloated.

3. Rest longer during Leg exercises
    During Squats you work a lot more muscle fibers than during preacher curls.
    Get some rest and be careful about what your body tells you. Am i going way too hard?
    Am I able to make another set and still feel good or do I have to call it quits today earlier?
    Pain is good but lost training time is not!
    So give yourself a longer timeout when you feel like coughing up a hairball, its definitely better for your health :wink:

I know I need to get on a proven program. Right now, I am just trying to hit every muscle group and get used to lifting again. I have been looking around trying to find the one that suits me best. My goals are to lose weight and to gain back my athletic ability.

When I lift, I cant do it every day… I dont have the time to be in the gym 6 days a week… I can do 3-4 days. When I lift, I go with a friend who has been liftin for years with little to no gains… He doesnt really lift hard he says he just tries to “maintain” his stregnth… However, he lifts like 5 days a week and has zero muscle definition. I dont want that…

Over the last 2 weeks, every time we lift, I lift circles around him. After every lift though, I am gasping for air and exhausted… I try to go upper body and then lower body so that I get a break between lifts that target the same muscles… He tells me I am going to hard but I dont want to listen to him because of his lack of results… He only does 3 lifts a day… Bench, Pull downs, and curls… That is pretty much every day… Sometimes he will deadlift…

Since I have my “base” built up, I am looking forward to starting a program… I thought about the 6 Weeks to Super Hero because it promises to cut fat and build muscle in a short time…

I havent seen any of the other programs but I am going to look into them.

Buy my Super lotto daily i promise you will b a millionaire in 2 weeks top!

So the 6 week program is crap?

[quote]The8thDeadlySin wrote:
So the 6 week program is crap? [/quote]

No.

I’m not familiar with 6 weeks to superhero itself (I’ve looked at it but haven’t done it), but based on who wrote it, I’m sure it’s a good program.

You should expect to see improvement in 6 weeks.

However, don’t expect to look like a completely different person in 6 weeks. From what I’ve gathered, it seems to take at least 18 months for most people to feel like they look significantly different. Of course, ymmv.

If your nutrition is anything like your program, then thats why your throwing up.

When your body violently makes you aware of it. you feel like shit for a week plus and/or are depressed. though over training is a severely difficult thing to achieve. the vast majority of the time if you are eating and sleeping enough it will never be a problem, unless you do something insane like 90%+ for max reps for many sets on the same exercise day after day.

[quote]Chris87 wrote:
Get on a proven program. That is the best thing you can possibly do right now.

starting strength
texas method
juggernaut method
5/3/1
Westside for skinny bastards

Read those, pick the one you like best, and follow it exactly as written.[/quote]

This.