How Do I Know a Good Quality Protein Powder?

Very few humans have eaten as many cans of tuna as I have.

2 Likes

Is it possible that too much mercury caused some of your health issues in the past, was that ever considered or is it a fallacy that to much canned tuna has too much mercury?

People always like to cut out the word “breast” here despite me writing it. I blame puritan trappings.

Its not a ground up chicken carcass in a can

2 Likes

I had always just assumed it was canned breast meat, but now the imagery is shifted to a canned carcass. I like that more tbh.

2 Likes

I suppose excess mercury could have been. I had an autoimmune disease. Environmentally related? Possible. Maybe. But I still do at least one can a day.

While I completely agree with this I’ve struggled to manage this in my current job. I now have a senior management position and spend nearly all my day in meetings where I can’t really be pulling out tupawear or cans of tuna.

It’s fine to be drinking a shake but for career wise my old habits have gone.

Currently my protein is from

Breakfast
Eggs 19.5
Egg whites 9.8
Milk 19g

Snack
Shake 44g

Lunch
Tuna 56g

Snack
Protein aldi yoghurt 50g

Dinner
Chicken 24g

Then another shake after I work out (depending on work.
Shake 44g

So around 266g but I wish I could get more from ‘proper’ sources and less from the shakes.

1 Like

That’s a lot of protein!
I honestly think the “best” choice is what’s practical, so it sounds like you’re perfectly on point.

Is it a lot of protein? I’m 6’ 3 and 103kg at 36 years old, I thought I should be aiming for around 250-280.

I don’t understand why you’d need 280g of protein. It’s fine to eat that much if you want, but I wouldn’t feel a need to supplement to reach that amount.

1 Like

That would be my suggestion, if you consume it over six (or more) separate meals. But I too would recommend most all the protein be from meat and eggs. (I never used milk products when training to get cut.) It is okay to use some supplemental protein powder if it is expedient (I would think not to exceed 20% of the daily protein.)

1 Like

It seems like a lot to me. I’m very comfortable with the .8g per lbs recommendation, which would put you just over 180g. Even 1g puts you at 225g. I’ve never gotten into bodybuilding stage shape, but that would at least free you to drop a shake if you wanted. Forcing shakes in always made me feel sluggish and I didn’t like it.

2 Likes

Second this. I just don’t see any need to go above this number. Not to say one can’t or shouldn’t, just that it isn’t needed and that I wouldn’t supplement with protein in an effort to get above this number.

So recommendations from t-nation article are:

Muscle building: 1.62 grams of protein per kilogram

Dieting: 2.3 grams of protein per kilogram

Maybe I need to re-look at my muscle building and dieting food plan.

1 Like

Doesn’t give me horrid gas. I usually won’t find it out until after I’ve consumed it, but ya know…lessons learned.

Not sure how useful this is, but anywho.

I’ve also long felt there is likely as much of an absolute protein requirement as there is relative, which (I believe, but won’t do the work to quote any studies) we also tend to see with carbs and fats (in terms of measurable effects like ketosis and hormone production).

These literature-based recommendation deltas between muscle gain and fat loss intakes further cement that for me: as your body weight drops, your relative protein intake declines if your absolute number stays constant.

If consumption is high and used regularly id avoid this particular product imo

Why’s that if you don’t mind me asking?

When choosing a high-quality protein powder, you must be careful not to fall victim to the “protein magic pill” phenomenon. Many low-quality protein powders on the market contain additives and fillers for them to appear more nutrient dense.

Instead, opt for a quality brand made from all-natural ingredients. Look for products with at least 20 grams of premium-quality proteins per serving. Ensure they are free of sugar, GMOs, artificial flavors or colors, soy derivatives, dairy products (except casein), and gluten. Vegan options are also available in generic medical store franchises if you want an animal-friendly source of protein powder.