T Nation

How Do I Get in Great Condition?

I know this topic is kind of vague and not specific, but im a high school basketball player who wants to get in the best shape possible before basketball season (3 months~).

I just finished doing the "From dud to stud in 30 days" to lose some body fat and i want to start getting in shape for the next basketball season

Im currently 16 years old. 6'1, 205 lbs and i was planning to start vjb again starting tomorrow, but i would also need conditioning days so i thought this would be the best place to go for suggestions. Would it also be possible to do vjb + upper body + conditioning? and would conditioning help me lose body fat as well?

Thank you

What is vjb?

The only difference between a conditioning workout and a fatloss workout is your diet.

verticle jump bible.

Would conditioning be considered losing body fat, or the ability to not get tired easily or bothÃ?

conditioning is improving your work capacity. With the right diet, fat loss is usually a result of it. All I meant by that was that conditioning will help you lose body fat, IFF your diet is in check. If you don't pay attention to your diet, fat loss is not a guarantee.

That being said, it seems to me your primary goal with conditioning is to improve your performance...not just drop the pounds and look better. I think it's better to focus on improving your performance quantitatively (i.e. things you can measure, like vertical jump, standing long jump, and obviously your strength numbers). Do this AND eat clean, the fat loss will take care of itself. If you want to add conditioning to your regimen, make sure you do it after your vjb workouts. You always wanna put plyos at the front end of your training. My best recommendation would be to do density training or strength interval sessions. They're very short and effective. I personally like this book alot:

www.coreperformance.com/daily/movement/new-way-to-torch-fat-cardio-strength-training.html

This guy works with alot of athletes so it may be right up your alley. Does this sound like what you're looking for?

Yea that definitely sound like what i want to achieve, but is it something i have to pay for? because im kind of tight on money right now.

I was just off the dud to stud in 30 days so i know how hard desnity training can be and how effective it is, but i've done vjb in the past (stopped for injuries etc) and to mix density training in with vjb would be killer i would think.

I did email the verticle jump bible creator and awesome coach kelly baggett for help regarding this and he told me that doing steady cardio 2x a week for 20-30 minutes plus basketball and doing the jump bible workouts along with some upper body training would be sufficient.

What are your takes in this? im trying to weigh all my options before i start getting into basketball gear on monday,

thank you

I don't really see the point of doing any steady state cardio. Nothing you'll be doing on the basketball court will be steady state. I have to agree with Mike Boyle on this one. Here's his gem of a presentation explaining where I'm coming from:

http://www.functionalstrengthcoach3.com/intervals.html

I really hope you take what he says to heart. It will only help your performance.

Cardio strength training is a book, and you could find it on amazon for less than 10 bucks. Sounds like you have everything going for ya!

FYI between feb. and jul. of this year I dropped from 20 to 9% body fat as you can see for yourself in my pics. In that time I didn't do any steady state cardio (literally zero). The only running I did was intervals at the end of my workouts for only about 6 weeks. Other than that, it was all resistance training and a strict diet. Clearly, you'll need to run more than I did to condition for basketball, but I think you should keep your cardio training focused on sprinting and resistance workouts.

What do your lifts look like?
Tbh, I'd take a simple approach.

Finish your workout- then sprint hills or push the prowler (no prowler = more hills or flat sprints). Days you don't lift get some easy (easy easy) steady state in.

I'd be willing to bet the steady state work is for recovery. I've noticed anecdotally with a number of my friends who were athletes that they recovered better and experienced far lower injury rate when they did 20-30 minutes steady state work on a bike 3-5 days a week in the mornings (practices were in afternoons)... Take that for what it is though, I have no research behind it.

I've heard similar things too. Active recovery is good to keep the joints lose. It's so hard for me to go against Boyle at all though. Did you check out the audio clip I posted?

Okay thanks for the replies guys, i will read them carefully after i eat

but my lifts are

last time i squatted before i started 30 days stud to dud (30 days~ ago), i was doing 265 for 5 reps as my last set (i was doing defrancos skinny bastard 3) and my bench was around 195 for 5 reps as my last set.

I haven't checked it out but I'm sure I can guess what he's saying... Usually those coaches will say to 'train for sport', meaning doing loads of steady state will be a waste of time from a fat loss standpoint. Once the preseason and everything gets going, simply eating right will take care of the OP's fat loss need I think, so he's better off doing basketball related conditioning work (i.e. suicides, layup drills, etc.)

OP,if Baggett got back to you and told you how to solve your dilemma, do what he says. He wrote the program, and he knows the stresses it creates. His recommendation for steady state may be more in line for joint health and recovery than fat loss, but I'm sure he knows what he's doing in that regard. Do the steady state if it keeps you feeling healthy. If it makes you feel rundown all the time, cut it out. Simple as that.

It pains me to say this but: Crossfit.
For all around general conditioning its hard to beat.
Hell go back to T-Nation authors evaluations, they can point out the cult aspect, but when doing 3 rounds of say cleans, burpees, and pullups as an example, by round 3 only your will and stamina will save you. The weight isnt so high you risk injury, but it will feel like 1,000 lbs if you are pushing yourself.

Now for the realistic part.
You would need to find a Cross fit place that has worked with basketball players before as there are a lot of the O lifts that can be worked into your workouts that would focus on explosive power. So a gym could customize some of the lifts and exercises more geared for what you need while not overtraining you.

Look at what Waterbury is preaching these days for his MMA guys, a crossfit like conditioning program.

If you want to get HHHUUGGEEEEE, look at any of the great articles on the site, but if you are trying to get explosive power and the ability to work through discomfort while performing then give it a try.
People can point out all its faults, but having given it a try (unlike most folks who just complain never having given it a month or more) I can say from my point of view it has helped my stamina tremendously. Taking Krav Maga and BJJ, I am always amazed at the folks who are faster/stronger than me, but I end up outlasting them, and as the saying goes its not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog.
The fun part has been working in Thibadeau's (sp?) active recovery and other great ideas to work areas I still need help with.

*I made fun of my wife for doing Crossfit, then 'tried' a class and nearly passed out only half way through the workout. I did NOT have the stamina to keep going!!!! There is a reason firefighters, cops, and military like xfit. Being able to bench press a small car wont help you jumping over a wall chasing someone, or doing a lay up.

IMO Boyle is a bit out to lunch with is anti-steady state (or perhaps more accurately anti-aerobic) approach. Check out some of the Elite FTS guys specifically Landon Evans (here is one of his posts on the topic: http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=107275&tid= ) and Mark McLaughlin. IMO (again) there has been an overreaction against steady state cardio and that it has its place. It certainly produces different adaptations than interval training.

IMO it is very tough to serve two masters. Trying to improve your VJ and your conditioning at the same time will lead to problems as these are somewhat contradictory.

If you have time, you could spend some time working on your jump while just doing MODERATE conditioning (something like tempo runs), then switch to more intense conditioning later.

But, I'd guess that you don't really have time for that. IMO, its far better to be in great shape than it is to jump a couple of inches higher. If I were you, I'd focus on your conditioning at this point. The VJ can wait until next offseason where you'll have more time to train. Just do maintanence work on that (and on your strength) at this point.

True, but it makes it more fun when you catch them. Although I can neither confirm nor deny such a thing ever happened when I was chasing people...

i would first get a heart rate monitor. then i would read joel jamisons conditioning advice on 8weeksout.com. Its mostly for mma, but he really teaches you how to apply training for different energy systems to any sport.

For basketball i can see steady state for an hour+ being useful. I would also see some HICT work beneficial as well. Read his site.

What I would do is alot of explosive work (thats what pylos all about) in addition to lifting. My basketball team in HS was 2nd in state of here in California and this is something they did

every morning: conditioning (MWF sprint, shuffles, liners, explosive change of direction stuff T TH: long steady state cardio)

M T and TH F: lifted weights (shifted from Maximum effort days to higher rep low effort days)(balance out heavy lifts like squat deadlifts as not to put too much stress on the back.)

Everyday 3 hours of basketball

Granted that this was what they did every day in the season except thanksgiving and christmas. I remember they had to go play a tournament in another state Xmas eve. But Im sure you can somehow use this to your advantage.

A do a complex of:clean & jerk (10-20 % bw)3-6 reps
snatch(10-20 % bw)3-6 reps
burpees (bw) 10 reps
d0 as many complex you can for 40 minutes.(suppose 10 complex)
try to work to get that 10 complexes in 20 minutes.
100% guarantee you will be fitter

I can jump walls without doing crossfit and chase people. I really think crossfit is an inefficient means of training to do so.

But I agree circuit type workouts with a conditioning emphasis and a strength component is an excellent means for conditioning. Also jump rope. Also hills.