T Nation

How Do I Find Rep Maxes?

Forgive me if this has been posted numerous time (I did a search and did not find much to help me), but what are the best method (s) to finding rep maxes?

-Machine

do a search on google “one rep max calculator” you will find all these different applications where you input a certain weight used and the reps performed and it will give you an estimated one rep max. Now this is not alwyas accurate due to the fiber make up of the muscle groups you are using. Also i heard that the smaller the number of reps used the more accurate it is to estimate so input a 3 rep max instead of an 8 rep max. laters pk

Add weights until you have a weight that is the most you can lift one time. :slight_smile:

I think thats the best way because it is exact, the calculators are a good estimate, but not an exact science. It can give an unaccurate result based on fiber make up, and also if you have been predominately training in a certain rep range.

You may not find these very accurate as your personal muscle make up, fast twitch, slow twitch also need to be taken into account.

[quote]pkradgreek wrote:
do a search on google “one rep max calculator” you will find all these different applications where you input a certain weight used and the reps performed and it will give you an estimated one rep max. Now this is not alwyas accurate due to the fiber make up of the muscle groups you are using.[/quote]

I have asked this before, but maybe someone reading this thread will know. Are there any 1RM calculators out there that use multiple data points for more accuracy?

[quote]larryb wrote:
Are there any 1RM calculators out there that use multiple data points for more accuracy?
[/quote]

i’ve never come across any. i think it’s a waste of time to do so. The best is to try to figure out yourself what kind of fiber make up you have in all the major muscle groups. Compare your results with what the calculators say and then you will know if you are more fast twitch or slow twitch. laters pk

I just want to add my opinion here. I think any of the rep calculators are good to get a ballpark number. But this is only if you have absolutley no idea of the weight you need for the rep range you are searching.

I also have found that the many times the people looking for rep calculators are doing so because the have been stuck working in a certain rep range for so long. People that train with a variety of rep ranges usually can come up with their own ballpark figure.

Doing the math in my head,
Todd

[quote]larryb wrote:
I have asked this before, but maybe someone reading this thread will know. Are there any 1RM calculators out there that use multiple data points for more accuracy?
[/quote]

The closest I have ever seen to this is calculators using different formulas for different lifts.

Todd

Instead of trying to use a special calculator that computes your 1RM, try something like this. For the exercise in question, do 5 sets with 5,4,3,2,1 reps, increasing the weight each set. This will teach your body to get to its true 1 rep max. Increase the weight sufficiently so that on that last set, the 1 rep should be more max. Hope this helps.

I posted a long list of formulas and references for finding 1rm. I guess it was not ment to be as it did not post.

A quick way that works for whatever type of muscle you have and for whatever rep range you usually use is the following.

Try some weight and go to failure record the weight and the number of completed reps. Do this for several weights. The closer to the actual 1rm the better.

Take this data and make a graph with reps vs weight. Then draw a line connecting the data points. The line might not be a straight line. Extrapolate the line to 1 rep. This will give you the approximate 1rm weight.