How Do I Find a Balance?

I enjoy going to the gym as often as possible, its pretty much my drug of choice. however lately I’ve been told that I hit the gym too much and it tends to make me irritable when I get down talked because I make one or two bad choices when I am in a rush such as ill eat a sub or have a Gatorade or something simple like that. I find it has gotten to the point that every person I know seems to have nothing nice to say to me, and it causes me to return the favor.

any ideas how to put a balance in how to deal with this? I have gotten verbal back at them and my only outlet is pushing weights, however the more I do this the more I lose my motivation to really improve anything and I am to the point where I feel I should just hit the people. any help? I am not sure if I worded this right but any help or tips would be appreciated

Sounds like you just need to gain some emotional maturity and that you are probally over trained… Feelings of a short fuse or agitation are usually signals that the sympathetic system is over doing its purpose…

what do you mean by the sympathetic system? this is a topic ive never heard of before. and I try to fit in but just get trashed by everyone around me when I do

I think you need to stop training for a few weeks or month and get your head right dude.

the para sympathetic and sympathetic system are the calming and fight or flight response controls of the human body… moderated through the adrenal glands. right now your nerves are sensitized because of over sympathetic system activation… This is why you feel so easy to snap… You are also raising your cortisol and stress levels in this state, Putting yourself in a catabolic state and actually LOSING muscle and gaining fat… You need rest and recovery man.

Look up some info on it I suggest take time off the gym, meditate, fix your diet, get plenty of rest, and maybe add in some supplementation to control stress hormone levels… You also sound like you’re in high school and very entrenched in the high school way of thinking… No one from you’re school is going to think much of you after you graduate so don’t be so attached by other peoples opinions or judgements.

what supplements are used for that? and im not in highschool, this is in my workplace while im on course, in order for any progress I need to be able to work with these people without getting irritated at them for the stuff they say about and to me, and I understand what your saying thank you very much

[quote]Forcesguy wrote:
what supplements are used for that? and im not in highschool, this is in my workplace while im on course, in order for any progress I need to be able to work with these people without getting irritated at them for the stuff they say about and to me, and I understand what your saying thank you very much[/quote]

What line of work are you in?

You are leaving out way to many details. How many days per week do you train?

Are these people that are making comments good friends or just acquaintances?

Btw, a sub or a Gatorade isn’t going to ruin your training.

[quote]Forcesguy wrote:
what supplements are used for that? and im not in highschool, this is in my workplace while im on course, in order for any progress I need to be able to work with these people without getting irritated at them for the stuff they say about and to me, and I understand what your saying thank you very much[/quote]

You’re going to have to get used to coworkers making stupid comments. It is part of the game. They are being unprofessional, don’t drop down to their level.

I train 5 days a week with weekends off to recover, just coworkers so acquaintances would fit the description and the food thing I understand but they seem to not. and my line of work is national defence so my physical condition is very important to me

and what these people don’t seem to understand, which really irritates me is that no matter how rude they are to me I would still do my part to protect them if in a conflict

[quote]Forcesguy wrote:
I train 5 days a week with weekends off to recover, just coworkers so acquaintances would fit the description and the food thing I understand but they seem to not. and my line of work is national defence so my physical condition is very important to me[/quote]

Well then fuck them. Do your job and do it well.

Don’t reply to verbal cheap shots. They are baiting you into a response.

thank you captn

You have to decide if they are right or if they are just trying to bring you down (like if they feel guilty about their slack eating and training) If it’s the former then maybe a bit of rest would do you some good but if it’s the latter and that is likely, then fuck 'em and make yourself happy and find more like minded buddies.

[quote]Forcesguy wrote:
thank you captn [/quote]

Glad to help.

Are you “the new guy” at your unit?

I agree… Don’t let the opinions of anyone make you reactive regardless of who they are… Don’t worry about it, in fact show them compassion in return and you may just throw them off a bit…

You definitely need time off training though at least for a bit because your nerves will only get more sensitized if you keep the same training frequency and more harm then good…

Take a multi vitamin, fish oil, vitamin C, and some B complex vitamins… Work on controlling your emotions and stress levels with acceptance and add in some relaxing activities into you’re regiment…

The best thing you can do for you’re general life skills though is not worry about anything anybody says to you and rise above it… Just be un reactive and aware.

forgive them for they know not what they do

four im not really “new” ive been in for almost two and a half years now. cstratton I will give that a shot thank you, I just find taking more than a weekend off hard. as I stated before its become an addiction of sorts

[quote]Forcesguy wrote:
four im not really “new” ive been in for almost two and a half years now. cstratton I will give that a shot thank you, I just find taking more than a weekend off hard. as I stated before its become an addiction of sorts[/quote]

I hear you bro but you got to understand, the whole point of you lifting is to get bigger and stronger, more aesthetic etc… well if you don’t get ample rest you are just going to dig yourself into a deeper rut while gaining excess fat and burning muscle at the same time… It will kill progress and just slow you down… That is why I suggested a calming or peaceful activity like meditation… A lot of people go to the gym to stop thinking and worrying, well the whole point behind any meditative or calming activity is that it does the same and help with recovery as well as not destroy you’re body by slowly pushing it into a more and more overtrained state… At the very least do an extremely light de load week at about 50-60% of what you normally do whether that be weight, volume, frequency, or intensity is totally up to you… See how you feel and go from there.

I was always a Type A over zealous athlete too so I hear you, way too much discipline and drive to take time off, but it killed my progress before and set me back so was not worth it…