How Do I Do These Exercises?

Please help me because I want to start this program tomorrow and don’t know how to do some of the exercises. I’m starting the OVT: Optimized Volume Training.

I’ve tryed to search the net and can’t find anything about these I listed below.
How do I do Flat dumbbell flies? And what are dumbbell flies?

How do I perform Lat Pull Down?? This one I found how to do but there are two variations. Behind my neck or in the front for the back?? Which exercise is better?

Don’t know what is 1 arm rowing
Don’t know what is Bent-over barbbell rowing
and Don’t know how to do Seated Cable rowing

Here is my first day training schedule

Day 1: Chest and Back

Exercise
A1. Bench press
A2. Flat dumbbell flies

B1. Incline bench press
B2. Incline dumbbell flies

C1. Lat pulldown
C2. 1 arm rowing

D1. Bent-over barbell rowing
D2. Seated cable rowing

Umm…what exercises do you know?

honestly bro… google.com

if you don’t know those exercises i advise you to do a LOT more reading and just start with some basic pushups and situps and squats for this first week.

Especially with OVT, you’re going to need to increase your work capacity (the amount of physical work you can do without destroying your CNS (central nervous system)).

I suggest you look into some of the more basic programs here. Not to sway you from working out but really do a lot of research.

Dorian Yates, 6x (?) Mr. Olympia read everything he could on lifting and strength training for an entire year before he even touched a weight.

You can do a lot if you prepare yourself properly first.

Be sure to learn what you want to do thoroughly, set goals, straighten out your diet… and then knock down those genetic barriers.

Good Luck

Xen

I’m in good enough shape to do this training I just don’t know what the exercises are because like I said I’ve never cared too much about the names of the exercise. I did everything I could in the gym. I want to change that. I already trained at for 4 weeks and are eating well. I think I’m rdy to start this program so help me out… thx

learn how to determine what muscles an exercise hits, and all their names. Don’t be afraid of the “hard” ones, and substitute in wussy ones instead.

Also, don’t believe that you know what you are doing after a month. I’ve been working out for a couple of years now (on and off, sadly) and I still can’t tell my ass from my elbow in the gym.

Good luck

is this 1 arm roving?

no one here is trying to be an ass but you do need to back off the optomized training bender. Do some simple stuff first and read some… dare I say it… muscle mags. Better, buy one of the million bobdybuilding/lifting encyclopedias.
But, I’ll offer you some half-assed answers to get you going in the right direction. Here is my disclaimer, if your not really sure of what you are doing; DON’T DO IT. If you injure yourself it is noones fault but yours.

Flat dumbell flies:You should know what flies are. Now do the same motion while lying on your back on a bench and using dumbells.

Lat pull: this is a can of worms but, for my short answer, behind the neck.

One arm rows: all rows are essentially the same. you have a heavy weight on the front side of your body. and you move it in a line perpendicular to your body moving the weight toward your body. Think of it as a bench press in reverse. So do this with a dumbell with your body face down and parallel to the floor.
Bent over rows, more of the same but with a barbell and using both arms, even more true to the idea of a reverse bench press.

Now, I think I have touched on each of your questions, but I want to remind you what everyone has said so far, if you don’t know it don’t do it.

Starkmann

The Golds Gym Encyclopedia Of Bodybuilding has a good pictorial and written description of a lot of exercises,groups they hit,etc.
That would be a Start.
Go to a local bookstore and look at some pictures in books and stuff, maybe even buy them.

This post contradicts some of the others you hav made.
Are you that Italian Troll that keeps posting under different names, or just lieing about what you have done?

Look out guys
I think this is the Trolli agli oli.

Encyclopedia Of Bodybuilding would help a lot. I’ll have to check that one out when I get the chance.

thank you all for replying

Actually you know I’ve done those exercise before. It’s only that I use to work out in a small gym in my college. The machines had no names of the exercises and using dumbbells I did what I?ve seen from others and from mags. I’m no pro so how am I supposed to know all of the excursuses and my English is my second language and don’t speak it regularly. I just hit the gym worked out for hours and hours and got out, ofly to be in good shape.

I climb, motocross, and extreme free rider. I’m in very good shape and know how to train smart with proper posture. After reading articles here I started eating or how you call bulking the right way and have been training at home getting ready for this program when I hit the gym. I’ve already gained 10 pounds in 3 weeks and now weigh 170 pounds. after 5 years of training the wrong way (over training) and eating bad I only gained 20 pounds in 5 years, that is really bad. I’m going to fix that.

Now in only 4 weeks that I’ve been here reading and learning I increased my strength 3x of what I had before. I’m surprised with the right eating how my strength increases every training day. My goal is to hit 200 pounds by Christmas.

[quote]starkmann wrote:

Lat pull: this is a can of worms but, for my short answer, behind the neck.

Now, I think I have touched on each of your questions, but I want to remind you what everyone has said so far, if you don’t know it don’t do it.

Starkmann[/quote]

Today’s training tip comes from Eric Cressey:

Ditch the BTN Pulldowns

Behind the neck (BTN) pulldowns shorten the range of motion and reduce activation of the very musculature you?re trying to train. The in-front version offers a better training effect and much less injury risk. BTN pulldowns belong in the garbage can!

slow down man.
It’s cool that you put on some mass recently but putting on fourty pounds of muscle in a year is probably asking too much of your body. I hope you can do it, but if you can add muscle that fast, you’ll be a pro bodybuilder and powerlifter in two years.

Good for you for reading up and making changes. Keep after it. The reason wer are all being hard on you is because the names of lifts are pretty basic (most of the time). Many of us expect that if you are familiar with the gym and the basic lifts, then it should come naturally. A row is almost always about the same and a fly is always abou the same. You add dumbells or a different bar, it stillthe same lift.

Stay after it, be realistic, and study hard for is key.

Starkmann

1 arm row: one hand on bench, one knee up on bench (same side as the hand on the bench), back straight head slightly up, grasp dumbell with free hand and pull up till it touches your body.

bent over barbell row: bend knees and waist with ass out, head slightly up, back straight, grab barbell with overhand grip and let it hand down, then row it up to your chest and lower>repeat.

seated cable row: sit at low cable station with feet planted in front of you, grab bar and with good posture, pull it towards your chest. similar to bent over barbell row.

And it might be a good idea to ask an experienced guy to help out too.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

here is a link to a great website that has movies of all the exersizes your asking about (and more).

also I agree that you need to skip OVT untill you’re a little more comfortable in the weight room and have a little expierence under your belt. check out the Dawg School artical by Shugs, it’s a much better place for you to start.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=460561

Good Luck,

La’
Redsol1

Here is a good one w/ videos.

I agree, OVT is gonna burn you out. It is not an easy program by any means but you are probably going to do it anyway, I just hope there is a little voice in your head on your third squat day saying “I told you so”.

http://www.uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/videos/video_index.htm

Guys, I need your help. I’m not sure about triceps extentions.

In my workout i am supposed to do
C1. Weighted dips
C2. Decline triceps extension

D1. Lying triceps extension
D2. Cable pressdown

When doing decline triceps extensions should I use bar, barbell or dumbbells ( 1 or 2)???

Arn’t Lying Triceps Press exercise same as lying triceps extension? hmm

[quote]Anim8 wrote:
Guys, I need your help. I’m not sure about triceps extentions.

In my workout i am supposed to do
C1. Weighted dips
C2. Decline triceps extension

D1. Lying triceps extension
D2. Cable pressdown

When doing decline triceps extensions should I use bar, barbell or dumbbells ( 1 or 2)???

Arn’t Lying Triceps Press exercise same as lying triceps extension? hmm [/quote]

I have heard it described a few different ways, but I call them Lying Tricep Extensions. You can do them with either a bar, or dumbbells. I suggest dumbbells as you will be capable of using more weight. this is already an isolation movement why make it a light isolation movement?

I would recommend getting a session or two with a personal trainer. Tell him or her the exercises you want to learn. Trainers are a touchy subject and a lot of them are shit, but at least it will teach you how to do the exercises. And if it’s a half decent one, they can evaluate your form and help you get it down. You don’t have to follow their programs once you know what you’re doing. You can figure out your own or choose one of the ones from T-Nation.

Monday i’ve done Chest and Back. Was sore for about 3 days after but that’s expected when starting to lift heavy.

I got through the Legs exercises. :slight_smile: It was a very very very intensive workout and I survived it. First time I was really doing squats and deadlifts using weights. I do alot of mountain bikng so I thought it would be easy but man i was fighting only 30 pound weight when doing the deadlifts. I’ve spend days looking at videos and reading about squats and deadlifts. My posture was perfect, no soreness in the back which is good. Now I can hardly walk though after 5 days… My legs got a good work out and will be ready for tuesday. Hopefully the soreness goes away by than.

Yesterday was doing biceps and triceps with no problems.

So far so good.

Tomorrow is shoulder day. I can’t wait :smiley:
gotta eat now