T Nation

How Do I Do a Proper Bulk?

i have done low carb (timed) for a while and did not gain weight (lol). im 173, 5’9 on texas method (powerlifting oriented). i’m trying to get to 190 by december. how can i bulk up? is there a guide/article somewhere on specifics and numbers?

Why would you need an article to add weight?

Just eat more. If you gain fat easily, don’t overdo the eating and get some cardio in there to balance it out.

i want to understand macronutrients on a bulk and dont want excess fat gain by eating every junk in sight

Don’t eat junk, just it mass quantities of quality food…lots of meat, whole milk, whole eggs, etc…

If you have been low-carbing it I would slowly start to add carbs in. For one week add 25 grams PWO, then 25 grams for the meal after, then 25 grams to breakfast. This is what Thib usually suggests for those coming off of low carb diets. But RSGZ pretty much hit it on the head. Just start eating more clean food gradually. If you put on too much fat for your liking add cardio or not eat quite so much. Shugart had a pretty good clean bulk article a while back which may be helpful.

[quote]kickureface wrote:
i want to understand macronutrients on a bulk and dont want excess fat gain by eating every junk in sight[/quote]

1. don’t worry about macros too much
  2. don’t eat junk

focus on eating whole foods at each meal

eggs, steak, burgers, chicken, turkey, salmon (or any fish), yogurt

potatoes, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice

and any type of fruit

add in some healthy fats from olive oil, nuts and even some butter won’t kill ya.

Keep doing what you’ve been doing in fear of fat gain and come Dec you’ll be where you’re at now. Or you could just eat more healthy foods and not over analyze macros.

nice responses
1 lb of raw ground beef is only like 80g protein :(:(:frowning:

i just read a Thib article

he suggests i should go for only 2x lean body mass (for me its 3k). i can barely get 250 g protein under this cap (fat in meat screws it over)!

[quote]kickureface wrote:
nice responses
1 lb of raw ground beef is only like 80g protein :(:(:frowning:

i just read a Thib article

he suggests i should go for only 2x lean body mass (for me its 3k). i can barely get 250 g protein under this cap (fat in meat screws it over)![/quote]

That article contained general caloric guidelines that many here would agree are on the light side. What you want to do is start eating more while making sure your strength is going up and your waist is staying in check. You want to find the spot where you are gaining strength at an acceptable rate while keeping fat gains down. That doesn’t mean you should freak out if your waist increases at first - it probably will due to increased food intake and water weight from adding carbs back into your diet.

thanks.
quick side question-if your strength is increasing, is it possible your waist increases because of MUSCLE? (idk what muscles, abs, low back erectors??) or is it all fat?

It is possible, but you’ll be able to tell the difference. Fat in the love-handles and belly button regions is going to look and feel a lot different from bigger core muscles.

look for Berardi’s Massive Eating

how big do core muscles get? my erectors at the lower back look like my skinny friends’

Come on man, what kind of a question is that? They get a big as you train them to.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:
Why would you need an article to add weight?

Just eat more. If you gain fat easily, don’t overdo the eating and get some cardio in there to balance it out.[/quote]

this and “eat with the same intensity that you train” along with “eating gives your body the ability to grow. Lifting gives it the reason to”

So if you easily gain fat, dont freak out about not gaining weight and stuff yourself. Make sure that your training is intensity and varied before gradually adding clean calories.

play around with what works and what doesnt. I usually limit carbs cuz I’m one who gains fat easy and I fnid that when i eat a lil dirty hereand there, im much stronger almost immediately

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
kickureface wrote:
i want to understand macronutrients on a bulk and dont want excess fat gain by eating every junk in sight

1. don’t worry about macros too much
  2. don’t eat junk

focus on eating whole foods at each meal

eggs, steak, burgers, chicken, turkey, salmon (or any fish), yogurt

potatoes, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice

and any type of fruit

add in some healthy fats from olive oil, nuts and even some butter won’t kill ya.

Keep doing what you’ve been doing in fear of fat gain and come Dec you’ll be where you’re at now. Or you could just eat more healthy foods and not over analyze macros.[/quote]

I have heard this many times that one shoul not worry about marcos as much as total calorie intake. ALthough this is true, I have always been taught that marcos are important, which goes into the concept of Cals in versus Cals out are only a number on the scale. I usually try and keep protein high obviously but most days my fats are fairly equal to protein

thanks guys. i think i’ll aim for 3500-4000 per day at 173.