T Nation

How Do I Deadlift with Straps?

Hi folks… I’ve been lifting for about a year and half and my deadlift has gone from 160lbs to 365lbs, and unfortunately it peaked a couple months ago at 405 and has dropped since. My back is not lacking, so I decided to purchase some “straps” based on what I’ve heard on the 'net. These things seem to be just that: two straps with small loops at the ends… I’ve got no clue how to use these things, and only see debates about whether to use them on the 'net, no HOW to use them info. So… how do they work? Thanks for the help!

Alright! It seems I’ve accidentally posted this thread twice, and since this is the original, I’m giving it the bump so it’s on top.

ok simpel. Loop the end of the strap through the Loop. slip onto your wrist and pull so that its tight. now when your in your starting position rap the loose end arond the bar were you are going to put your hands. then crank the strap so it tightens up then grip the bar and lift.

Thats the best way I can explain it

I tried it out with a dumbell at home, and I think I understand what you mean… thanks!

if you try to not just hold the bar but also squeeze it, it wont hurt as much/give you as many callouses or break(splinter?.. whatever the word is) as many callouses

Don’t get used to straps or you’ll regret it. Deads are great for forearm work. Only use the straps on max lifts.

I used them always at one point and my forearms got smaller. No straps may hurt at first but just man up and you’ll get used to it.

[quote]Hussayn wrote:
Don’t get used to straps or you’ll regret it. Deads are great for forearm work. Only use the straps on max lifts.

I used them always at one point and my forearms got smaller. No straps may hurt at first but just man up and you’ll get used to it.[/quote]

Ya but why go lighter when you can go heavier? You’re going to get faster results in back size with the heavier weight than the lighter weight. I know because I did when starting the use of straps. There are other exercises for forearms other than DL.

Just my .02

EDIT
Plus, I don’t see the point in slowing progress on a major lift like the Deadlift(and muscle group) for a smaller muscle group like the forearms. Doesn’t make sense at all. But I guess it comes down to personal preference.

I agree to a degree with Hussayn in that you should go without straps for as long as you can without affecting your workout. However, if grip is a limiting factor then by all means use straps. Also, be sure if you’re using straps, use a double overhand grip, not mixed. Mixed grip can cause some inbalances as well as spinal twisting, so don’t defeat the purpose. I would also recomend you experiment with the hook grip. This is a double overhand grip where you wrap your index finger (and maybe middle) over the thumb. Makes a much stronger grip, but can take some getting used to for the thumb. taping the thumb a bit can help.

I train for powerlifting and strongman and the main time we use straps are for heavy, rep pin pulls and if we are trying to pull for a “max” rep, like how many times can I get 405.

[quote]football061 wrote:
Hussayn wrote:

I used them always at one point and my forearms got smaller. No straps may hurt at first but just man up and you’ll get used to it.

Ya but why go lighter when you can go heavier? You’re going to get faster results in back size with the heavier weight than the lighter weight. I know because I did when starting the use of straps. There are other exercises for forearms other than DL.

Just my .02

EDIT
Plus, I don’t see the point in slowing progress on a major lift like the Deadlift(and muscle group) for a smaller muscle group like the forearms. Doesn’t make sense at all. But I guess it comes down to personal preference.[/quote]

If you can’t get your work done without straps when going for reps (non-max) then you got a week grip and its time to strengthen things up.

Just remember to chalk up because moisture is your enemy when DL’ing.

I know personally my grip is the weak point of my DL - which is the very reason I don’t use straps, so that I’m not crutching the weakness.

I mean is there a time where it’s a good thing to use straps versus acceptable?

[quote]Tumbles wrote:
I know personally my grip is the weak point of my DL - which is the very reason I don’t use straps, so that I’m not crutching the weakness.

I mean is there a time where it’s a good thing to use straps versus acceptable?[/quote]

A good time to use straps is when you’re doing heavy heavy reps (close to your max) or your max and don’t want to bail out. A bad time is when you’re trying to put a strap-on… Ok, bad joke. :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s what i do. Try using chalk, it’ll make a world of a difference.

You have to ask yourself, “why am I deadlifting?” Unless you’re a powerlifter, it doesn’t matter if you can perform the lift without straps. You can always train your grip some other way. And even when you’re doing max effort work, you can just go strapless up to the point where your grip becomes an issue.

Basically, I agree with football.

[quote]wfifer wrote:
You have to ask yourself, “why am I deadlifting?” Unless you’re a powerlifter, it doesn’t matter if you can perform the lift without straps. You can always train your grip some other way. And even when you’re doing max effort work, you can just go strapless up to the point where your grip becomes an issue.

Basically, I agree with football. [/quote]

That’s 100% how I feel. I go strapless up until my grip becomes an issue. So essentially, I’ll warmup, usually 315-340 strapless, then when I get to my actual work set, I’ll throw the straps on. You’re not going to fully activate such a large muscle group that the back contains by limiting the weight you can use because you feel it is essential to get your grip strength up and some bigger forearms.

Personally, I’ll take the stronger, thicker back. But what do I know. Oh wait, a stronger back leads to a stronger squat too doesn’t it? Shit, I guess I should just drop the straps and work to get a stronger grip…

Hey folks… I appreciate all the responses. So today was back day and I took these new straps to the gym and figured I’d try 'em out.

I loaded up 3 plates, and pulled it off the rack onto the floor so I could get my straps on and do it. Now, last week I was repping 315 raw so I figured I could start on that to try the straps. I couldn’t budge the weight. At all. I’m not certain but it could be due to the extra diameter caused by the strap, or maybe it’s because I was using a double overhand grip and I’m used to alternated?

I ended up pulling 315 once with straps, and 365 once or twice raw before they closed the gym for women’s only hour. Now don’t get me started on that garbage idea, the point is I think for today I’m gonna go back later and chalk up real good and just lift raw.

Did anybody who uses (or used) straps find that it took them a while to get the hang of things?

Which way did you wrap the straps around the bar? The first time I used straps I made the mistake of wrapping them around the bar in the same direction my fingers ran.

[quote]illwerral wrote:
Hey folks… I appreciate all the responses. So today was back day and I took these new straps to the gym and figured I’d try 'em out.

I loaded up 3 plates, and pulled it off the rack onto the floor so I could get my straps on and do it. Now, last week I was repping 315 raw so I figured I could start on that to try the straps. I couldn’t budge the weight. At all. I’m not certain but it could be due to the extra diameter caused by the strap, or maybe it’s because I was using a double overhand grip and I’m used to alternated?

I ended up pulling 315 once with straps, and 365 once or twice raw before they closed the gym for women’s only hour. Now don’t get me started on that garbage idea, the point is I think for today I’m gonna go back later and chalk up real good and just lift raw.

Did anybody who uses (or used) straps find that it took them a while to get the hang of things?[/quote]

First, did you just go after 315 w/o warming up? I hope not. Second, DL can be pretty tough on the CNS, I personally can’t really make great progress more than 2 maybe 3 weeks without backing off. Sometimes you need to mix up your styles (convetional, sumo, pin pulls, snatch grip, etc. etc.) I also would pull on leg days, not back day. If you’re going to go heavy pulling then don’t squat heavy; or vice versa. Here’s an example (and clarification for some anti strap people). We may do a max effort leg day where we squat to a near max. We will then go to dead and rather than go to a max we may go to 405 (75-80% max), put on straps and just see how many reps we can get. Keep in mind we can easily hold 500-600 lbs reg grip, but in this case we’re just not worried about it.

Straps can take a little learning, but you should get a lot f help fast. Good luck.

[quote]illwerral wrote:

Did anybody who uses (or used) straps find that it took them a while to get the hang of things?[/quote]

I bet you’re lats are sore today or tomorrow. The double overhand always hits my lats harder than mixed grip.

If double overhand is that much weaker for you, you should do it for a while.

[quote]Cable wrote:
Which way did you wrap the straps around the bar? The first time I used straps I made the mistake of wrapping them around the bar in the same direction my fingers ran.[/quote]

I made the same mistake and the straps actually hurt my lift that way. MAKE SURE YOU BEGIN BY PASSING THE STRAP ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE BAR FROM YOUR HAND, THEN FOLD IT BACK OVER WHERE YOUR HAND WILL BE PLACED AND CONTINUE WRAPPING…THEN TWIST THE WRAP TILL ALL THE SLACK IS TAKEN OUT AND YOUR HANDS ARE FIRMLY SECURED TO THE BAR. It is like having fingers wrapped in both directions around the bar and allows you to work much heavier right away.

Like some others have said, I advise doing your DL’s without the wraps till you start having problems with your fingers pulling apart. When I first started using wraps, I’d hit that point at 405#…now I have worked up to being able to do a rep at 465# without straps…so you will get stronger naturally if you force them to do all they can before supplementing with the straps.

I’ll give this a shot, I didn’t consciously wrap them one way or the other last time.

[quote]SeaHag wrote:
Cable wrote:
Which way did you wrap the straps around the bar? The first time I used straps I made the mistake of wrapping them around the bar in the same direction my fingers ran.

I made the same mistake and the straps actually hurt my lift that way. MAKE SURE YOU BEGIN BY PASSING THE STRAP ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE BAR FROM YOUR HAND, THEN FOLD IT BACK OVER WHERE YOUR HAND WILL BE PLACED AND CONTINUE WRAPPING…THEN TWIST THE WRAP TILL ALL THE SLACK IS TAKEN OUT AND YOUR HANDS ARE FIRMLY SECURED TO THE BAR. It is like having fingers wrapped in both directions around the bar and allows you to work much heavier right away.

Like some others have said, I advise doing your DL’s without the wraps till you start having problems with your fingers pulling apart. When I first started using wraps, I’d hit that point at 405#…now I have worked up to being able to do a rep at 465# without straps…so you will get stronger naturally if you force them to do all they can before supplementing with the straps.[/quote]

Hey good advice, but please, don’t yell if you don’t mind.