How Do I Count Fat Grams?

Okay so when I say I’m a beginner I mean beginner. I’m trying to lose weight, no I’m trying to rid my body of as much fat as possible. I had a brain fart and decided to go on a cleanse so my metabolism is all messed up right now.

Anyways, what I need help on as of right now is fat grams. In order for me to lose weight I need to consume about 2000 calories a day which everything came out to be 240g of protein, 200g of carbs, and 27g of fat.

I’m really confused on how to calculate fats into my diet because the way I am looking at it it seems impossible. 1 serving of flaxseed oil (1 tablespoon) has 14g of fat. That’s half my days worth of fat grams. 1g of that was saturated, 12g were polyunsaturated, and 1g was mono-unsaturated (something like that).

How can I eat anything else throughout the day meaning meats and good fats like avocados and nuts if I have already consumed most of my fat grams? And, because my metabolism is all screwwy right now, I was told to cut my calories in half for a little while.

So would I cut my carbs, proteins, and fats in half? If so I could only have 13g of fat a day, and well that’s less than a tablespoon of flax seed oil.

Tell me if I am going at this all wrong because tomorrow I’m going to keep track of my carbs, proteins, fats, and calories and I’m going to be completely lost on what to eat.

You need to keep protein high, so I would cut the carbs to 80-100g, and make up for that by increasing fats.

2000kcal is quite low - what is your current weight and maintenance calorie level?

I think you had another brain fart.
Why would you insist on supplementing with flax seed oil if you’re shooting over your target fat intake already? It’s not like it tastes good or anything.

Anyway, 2000 cal is low.
240 gr op proteine would nearly take up 50% of your energy intake. That is a lot! I would reduce that to around 175.

Also reduce carbs to around 175 and this would give you room to take eat about 65 gr of fat.

right now my weight is 160…but it fluctuates 164-160 all the time. maintenance calorie level is prolly like 2500

[quote]rsg wrote:
You need to keep protein high, so I would cut the carbs to 80-100g, and make up for that by increasing fats.

2000kcal is quite low - what is your current weight and maintenance calorie level?[/quote]

I agree with this if your goal is to lose body fat, but seeing as you just posted your weight. Are you male or female, and either way what is your height?

i think you are thinking too much about it… personally i let my fat be from whatever fat my meat has left when its cooked, from milk and from however much olive oil my veggies have… and dont worry about it

[quote]Scott M wrote:
rsg wrote:

2000kcal is quite low - what is your current weight and maintenance calorie level?

I agree with this if your goal is to lose body fat, but seeing as you just posted your weight. Are you male or female, and either way what is your height?[/quote]

Female, and she needs educating.

[quote]rubberducky7o3 wrote:
I’m 17, a girl, 5’8 weighing 160lbs. I’ve struggled with my weight for most of my life, been on and off diets. Now I just want to commit to it and lose those shitty body fat and get toned. I don’t want to get buff or anything but I’d like definition in my arms, legs, and stomach of course. Or just a flat stomach would be nice. I go to the gym a lot but to be honest I don’t know what I’m doing and I know I’m just waisting my time. So if anyone could help me out with a workout using the machines at the gym that would be nice.

And my diet, oh lord that’s a mess. Right now I’m trying to eat all protein but I splurge and go for the poptarts or pbj sandwich everyonce in a while. I’ve cooked my meals for today and tomorrow so tell me what u think:

Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs, glass of fat free milk with chocolate whey protein powder (2g carbs, 120g protein)

Lunch: Chicken salad (romaine lettuce, 1 chicken breast, 2/3 cup of peas)

Dinner: chicken stir fry (1 chicken breast, 1 cup assorted frozen veggies…23 calories 5g carbs)

I’ll probably have a banana at sometime for a snack.
[/quote]

OK, at the top of the beginners forum, there are some threads you need to read. They will help you understand what it takes to get your diet under control. You’ve gotten some advice in your other thread but you really need to read a lot and see how much you can improve.

Right now, I really question if you are getting 120g protein for breakfast. If you are, that must be one LARGE protein shake. There is no way that the 2 eggs and milk are giving you that much.

Next, you need to get more vegges in your diet. Yes, more. You aren’t eating enough of those. Finally, you need to start snacking so you don’t go on those pop tarts binges. That means good choices that keep you from getting hungry. Those snacks should have fruit or vegges in them as well. Yes, a snack will include a piece of fruit or a salad.

Now, go read up on those nutrition articles…

Fat intake should be about 20-30% of calories. In a 2000 calorie diet that would be twice what you had calculated.

Yeah i posted this back in June so the diet i am on now has nothing to do with this lol. But okay add more veggies and snacks. thank you.

oh and i am a girl 5’8…and sure whatever 160 isn’t bad or nothing im not obese but no one wants to be chubby. i want to have muscle definition and a flat stomach.

So, what is your training plan like now? It’s been 6 months, you must have some idea of how to go about it. Perhaps we can give advise to fine tune it. Trying to gain definition and a flat stomach is not possible on diet alone unless you are already predisposed to being lean.

Edit: I just noticed you have another thread on the go where you are discussing training so maybe we can let this one drop.

Stu

yeah we can pretty much let this one drop