How Do I Build A Big Freaky Neck

I want a huge neck, what kids of exercises work best to get it really big. I also am a Linebacker in football and it would help alot with injuries if i had a huge neck

[quote]and1bball4mk wrote:
I want a huge neck, what kids of exercises work best to get it really big. I also am a Linebacker in football and it would help alot with injuries if i had a huge neck[/quote]

The best answer is “shrugs”…but the next question is, “how old are you?”

How old are you, how much do you weigh, how tall are you and what is your current training routine?

Want a big neck? Easy…

1. Locate a bicycle helmet.

2. Ducttape some weights to it.

3. Find a bench.

4. Lay on your sides, back, and front while leaning your head towards the ground and back up. Do this for 10 reps of 4 for each side, back, and front, once a week.

Your neck will get HUUUUUUUUUGGGEEE!!! In all seriousness…

OD

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1118619724616.71003Spartacus[1].jpg

Are you talking about something like this

Deadlifts, Oly lifts, farmers walks, etc…any exercise that requires a shrugging motion to do.

Personally, BITD when I first started squatting and doing good mornings really heavy my neck grew quite a bit, which I presume was the results of extreme isometric tension.

[quote]oboffill wrote:
Are you talking about something like this[/quote]

I had a cousion that used to have to wear a contraption like that. It wasn’t for his neck, though. They said he was ‘special’.

Wrestler’s bridges.

I’m a wrestler and a football player. If you’ve ever noticed, wrestlers have pretty thick and strong necks. Often we have to get out of a pin by bridging and flipping. I’ve been bridging and doing neck flexions for about 6 months now, and my neck is getting nice and thick.

[quote]Deinabolic wrote:
Deadlifts, Oly lifts, farmers walks, etc…any exercise that requires a shrugging motion to do.

Personally, BITD when I first started squatting and doing good mornings really heavy my neck grew quite a bit, which I presume was the results of extreme isometric tension.[/quote]

I second the good mornings. My neck also seems to have grown since this workout.

This is a good question and there have been some great responses so far. However, with the exception of a couple of posts, most of the advice has been geared towards doing exercises that will increase the size of the traps. But, what if the traps aren’t the problem? My traps seem to grow without any direct work but my neck, on the other hand, is pretty small in comparison. Any other tips? By the way, bridges “a la Matt Furey” style have helped. Thanks.

WS

[quote]wrestler189 wrote:
Wrestler’s bridges.

I’m a wrestler and a football player. If you’ve ever noticed, wrestlers have pretty thick and strong necks. Often we have to get out of a pin by bridging and flipping. I’ve been bridging and doing neck flexions for about 6 months now, and my neck is getting nice and thick. [/quote]

i wrestle also… and this is the best neck exercise ever. Many people talk about isometric tension helping to build the neck while doing other exercises. Try bridging off your back, balance on only your head and feet. Hold that for three minutes each set, do five sets twice a week. Helps to build a nice thick neck.

-CJ

[quote]Professor X wrote:
and1bball4mk wrote:
I want a huge neck, what kids of exercises work best to get it really big. I also am a Linebacker in football and it would help alot with injuries if i had a huge neck

The best answer is “shrugs”…but the next question is, “how old are you?”[/quote]

I dont see how shrugs would build a big neck, wouldn’t they just get the traps bigger?

Judo press…

It is a dumbbell bench press in which you are bridging with only your head placed on a bench. Keep your head and body arched all of the time. It really hurts. Oh yes, do not use your regular DB bench weights on here. 35% for your first week should be good (not that neck strength is an issue, but more the facet joints in the neck and their ligaments is the reason for the small progression)

I dont see how shrugs would build a big neck, wouldn’t they just get the traps bigger?
[/quote]

You do know that your traps are part of your neck right?

Professor X wrote:
and1bball4mk wrote:

The best answer is “shrugs”…but the next question is, “how old are you?”

[/quote]

Your neck is made up of your traps and the sternocleidomastoid muscles that run along both sides of the front of your neck. That’s it. The rest is soft tissue. If you build up your traps, you will have a bigger neck. All I do is shrugs and my neck is 19.5" (which makes it hard to find dress shirts).

Bridges, DLs and shrugs will do the trick.

I would worry more about maximal strength than hypertrophy. After all, you may not want to have a Kurt Angle neck, where the neck is bigger than the head. You might end up looking like a thumb…

Im not even that big of a guy and i noticed that dumbell shrugs from the sides of your body help build a huge neck. I get compliments(or made fun of)all the time because(i have a big head)it looks like my head continues down to my chest.