How Do I Block My IP?

Anyone know how I can block my IP address when using certain programs, such as utorrent or limewire?

You can’t exactly block it but you can mask it through using proxies it makes your IP appear differently…
Anyways, you will have to do some google research into it or wait for a more clued up member on it than myself to reply - because thats as far as my knowledge goes really…

As BruceLeeFan says, you need to use a proxy.

There are plenty out there, some require payment, others don’t. Most however are for http traffic (i.e. just web pages) and email.

Some will allow other port use. Check out https://www.anonymouschannel.com/ - good system although it does cost a monthly subscription.

http://www.how-to-hide-ip.info/2008/03/12/how-to-hide-your-ip-using-switchproxy-firefox-add-on/

Ummm proxy is the only way to go. Like Renton and others have said.

There is no magic solution program. Cause your ip is needed to transfer your data from the torrent or other p2p networks. Well for all network traffic. Its like your telephone number on the interwebz.

If you use a proxy its pretty much a like a front that everyone else sees on the network and its just relay’s your data back to you. But as far as the p2p or torrent network goes they just see the proxy you paid to use.

If youre looking to surf, many of the anonymizers are now offering a paid service.

Use HTTP tunnel instead. One of my relatives uses this while accessing certain sites (including T-Nation) and forums from prison.

Good luck finding a free public proxy that allow torrent traffic.

Some companies offer torrent anonymity, but you’ll pay for the service. SecureIX is one such company; they set you up with a VPN link to their server and channel your torrents through it. Any IP tracing ends up at their end.

Note that proxies and private companies might be keeping logs and you have to wonder how much resistance they’ll offer if a bunch of police officers show up at the door with warrants.

Best workaround is probably to install something like PeerGuardian and let it update often. It watches your connections and kills those that are to known “snoopers” like the MPAA, RIAA and their minions. Not perfect, but better than nothing.

Other ways would include using some stranger’s “owned” PC; but the legal ramifications of getting caught doing that would probably be worse than from copyright infringment.

You might also be able to get a PC set up in a country who doesn’t respect international copyright and have that PC participate in torrents. You then download what you want from that PC using whatever encryption method you want: VPN, SSH, etc.

Last resort: Move to Canada. Downloading is still legal, although uploading is not. While it’s rather hard to run torrents with the upload “off,” it’s not impossible to download a torrent while remaining 100% legal. :slight_smile:

[quote]pookie wrote:
Second-last resort: Kill yourself so you won’t feel the need to anonymous download torrents ever again.
Last resort: Move to Canada.
[/quote]

fixed.

Google peerguardian.

But know that those that WANT to find you out, know how to do it regardless of what you do to prevent it. Just sayin.

[quote]msd0060 wrote:
But know that those that WANT to find you out, know how to do it regardless of what you do to prevent it. Just sayin.[/quote]

Usama Bin Laden disagrees.

[quote]pookie wrote:
msd0060 wrote:
But know that those that WANT to find you out, know how to do it regardless of what you do to prevent it. Just sayin.

Usama Bin Laden disagrees.
[/quote]

Usama doesn’t torrent Lil Wayne’s hip new CD a month before release.

[quote]msd0060 wrote:

Usama doesn’t torrent Lil Wayne’s hip new CD a month before release.[/quote]

Even evil terrorists masterminds can have taste.

I kind of figured it would be hard unless I went the paid proxy route, which is also not
guaranteed for the reasons Pookie outlined.

I’ll look into Peer Guardian, so thanks for the help everyone.

[quote]msd0060 wrote:
Google peerguardian.

But know that those that WANT to find you out, know how to do it regardless of what you do to prevent it. Just sayin.[/quote]

i used peerguardian for years now
that was going to be my suggestion also.