How Do I Begin Deadlifting if I am Not Strong Enough to Lift 135 Pounds?

I want to start deadlifting. However, I am not strong enough to use the conventional starting weight of 135 lbs. What are some exercises I can do to progress to a deadlift? I have thought of an approach but it comes with some pitfalls, so I would like an opinion from a more experienced lifter on the best way to build up to a 135 lb deadlift because I do not want to waste my time.

I have started out with 65 lbs rack pulls to build up strength in my posterior chain. After getting to 135 lbs, I plan to move on to Romanian deadlifts. Once I get to 135 lbs Romanian deadlifts I will have a strong enough posterior chain for deadlifts. However, this approach will only build up the posterior chain, not the quads.

I decide to do full bridges (which I can do for 5 seconds) for my quads and 95 lb barbell squats for my quads and calves. However, even though these exercises can strengthen the quads and calves, the specificity principle doesn’t apply here. With rack pulls and Romanian deadlifts, I can get better at deadlifts because I am still doing a deadlift, just with less range of motion. However, squats don’t really translate to deadlifts, right?

What is the right way to strengthen my posterior chain and quads for the 135 lb deadlift? Should I just be patient and keep following the approach I have written about. If so, what level of strength should I build up to with the exercises I am currently doing?

Thanks for the help. From what I gathered:

1. Deadlift from a deficit with less weight.
  2. Use Bumper Plates.
  3. Squats help.
  4. Focus on putting on mass, with nutrition I assume.
  5. Use dumbells.

Bumper plates are the same diameter as Olympic 45"s and have several lighter options. You can pick them up pretty reasonable on Amazon.

Yes and no… the squat will work some of the same muscles involved in pulling to a certain extent.

1 Like

Use dumbbells. Google dumbbell deadlift for how to videos.

Or just pull the bar from the ground. It’ll act like a deficit, and as you go up in weight slowly, you’ll be pulling from higher start points with every plate you go up.

You have very large feet.

So if I do both squats and rack pulls will I get to a 135 lb deadlift?

yeah what the fuck? are you deadlifting in Elton John’s platform shoes? The bar is like halfway up my shins with 45s on…

1 Like

Isn’t that how high it is supposed to be?

I think your biggest issue is going to be overthinking things.

I would say you can literally do anything more intense than walking and sitting involving your lower body and you’ll hit a 135lbs deadlift soon enough.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s how high it’s supposed to be WITH 45s ON. What would make you think that you couldn’t put 10s on and get your feet underneath it? Who cares if you’re pulling 65 pounds from what is technically a deficit, that’ll only help as you add on weight.

Thanks. I tried doing that and one of my friends told me I am doing it wrong. They said it isn’t high enough without 35’s or 45’s. I will ignore him now if lifting with lighter weights won’t cause injury.

I am assuming you can still drag the bar across your shins with lower weights. I will start with 10 lb plates from now on.

1 Like

Just keep the bar over mid-foot. Your shin position will be different, and your hips will be lower when pulling from a lower position, but your friend has absolutely no idea what he’s talking about, you can deadlift a barbell with 2.5lb plates on either side if you want, and you could deadlift just the bar, you’ll just have it sitting on top of your feet when you set up. There’s lots of stuff that will get your deadlift to 135 lbs - but nothing will do it like deadlifting.

Thanks for the support. You have no idea how weak I am. I used to be 85 lbs end of freshman year. Now I am 125 lbs end of junior year. I grew 7 inches as well. I am getting there.

Focus on putting quality mass on. The deadlift will come.

Umm, the point of the deadlift IS to put on mass.

Is anyone else smelling something?

4 Likes

For any mountain, there are many paths to the top.

2 Likes