T Nation

How Do Athletes Benefit from HGH?

Peyton Manning has been in the news lately about possibly doping. I don’t want this thread to be about whether he was doping or not. I just want to know exactly how HGH would have benefited him. From what I’ve read it doesn’t make you faster or that much more stronger. It usually used by older athletes to recover from injuries. Now if this is true how would this be considered cheating? Gatorade helps you recover after a game so should that be considered a banned substance? I’m not real educated on this so I would like for someone to clear this up for me.

Myriad ways.

The one that probably helps the most is the way in which HGH can strengthen the muscles in one’s eye. Leaked grand jury testimony from Barry Bonds shows that he felt HGH had significantly helped his eyesight and helped him track the ball better.

Watch his at-bats between 2000 and 2004. You can count on one hand how many times he checks his swing. You can probably use the same hand to also count how many times he swung at pitches out of the strike zone. He rarely swung at bad pitches from the day he got to the majors, but the HGH took that shit to a whole new level.

[quote]Justliftbrah wrote:
It usually used by older athletes to recover from injuries. Now if this is true how would this be considered cheating? Gatorade helps you recover after a game so should that be considered a banned substance? [/quote]

God is love
Love is blind
Stevie Wonder is blind
Therefore Stevie Wonder is love
Therefore Stevie Wonder is God

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
Myriad ways.

The one that probably helps the most is the way in which HGH can strengthen the muscles in one’s eye. Leaked grand jury testimony from Barry Bonds shows that he felt HGH had significantly helped his eyesight and helped him track the ball better.

Watch his at-bats between 2000 and 2004. You can count on one hand how many times he checks his swing. You can probably use the same hand to also count how many times he swung at pitches out of the strike zone. He rarely swung at bad pitches from the day he got to the majors, but the HGH took that shit to a whole new level.[/quote]

That’s really interesting. I find this sort of hard to believe though. For improving attention wouldn’t adderall be more sufficient?

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

It usually used by older athletes to recover from injuries. Now if this is true how would this be considered cheating? Gatorade helps you recover after a game so should that be considered a banned substance? [/quote]

God is love
Love is blind
Stevie Wonder is blind
[/quote]

you witty bastard lol

Yeah really helps with injuries/healing tendons and ligamnets. With major injuries like neck trauma I dont see why team doctors cant openly administer it it if prior permission is sought from the excutive body -maybe be given a time scale also like 8 week run

God is love
Love is blind
Stevie Wonder is blind
[/quote]

I don’t see a single negative premise in the OP’s post. The form of the argument is more like this:

Some banned substances are substances with recuperative powers.
HGH is a substance with recuperative powers.
Therefore, HGH is a banned substance.

Next, the OP takes the same form (IAA-2>>>Some P is M, All S is M, therefore All S is P) and inserts a new minor term:

Gatorade is a substance with recuperative powers.
Therefore, Gatorade is a banned substance.

The problem is that the middle term (substances with recuperative powers) is undistributed in both premises, which explains why the FORM of the argument is invalid.

[quote]LiftHeavy360 wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
Myriad ways.

Watch his at-bats between 2000 and 2004. You can count on one hand how many times he checks his swing. You can probably use the same hand to also count how many times he swung at pitches out of the strike zone. He rarely swung at bad pitches from the day he got to the majors, but the HGH took that shit to a whole new level.[/quote]

That’s really interesting. I find this sort of hard to believe though. For improving attention wouldn’t adderall be more sufficient?
[/quote]

What the fuck does attention have to do with anything?

The HGH made it easier for him to quickly pick up the ball out of the pitcher’s hand and identify the spin. He could also track the ball on its way from the pitcher’s hand to the plate much better. This essentially means that he sees the ball longer than other hitters facing the same pitcher.

The longer you can see the ball, the better off you are as a hitter. Always.

That’s why it’s extremely rare for a hitter to stand anywhere other than in the extreme back of the batter’s box.

I don’t know where the fuck I got the negative premise in your post from, heavylifter. Never mind. That’s what I get for trying to be a smart ass.

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:
Yeah really helps with injuries/healing tendons and ligamnets. With major injuries like neck trauma I dont see why team doctors cant openly administer it it if prior permission is sought from the excutive body -maybe be given a time scale also like 8 week run[/quote]

Agree with this post. I’m in the camp of AGAINST PEDS IN SPORTS but if HGH will help an athlete recover from a legitimate injury or surgery I think they should be able to take it. If HGH will help you recover from an ACL surgery (or neck surgery) in 6 months instead of 12, it’s bull crap that you can’t take it. Not only to get back on the field but just for life in general.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
Myriad ways.

[/quote]

No, it doesn’t improve attention. It actually strengthens the eyes so you physically have better vision.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
Leaked grand jury testimony from Barry Bonds

[/quote]

Are you sure about this? My understanding is he denied using in all his testimony. I agree with the rest of what you posted, I just never heard he copped to anything.

[quote]on edge wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[/quote]

Are you sure about this? My understanding is he denied using in all his testimony. I agree with the rest of what you posted, I just never heard he copped to anything.[/quote]

I don’t remember exactly how this came out. It might have been in that book, Game of Shadows. Regardless, Bonds isn’t the only athlete to make this claim.

HOWEVER, it should also be noted that there isn’t a whole lot, if any, scientific evidence to confirm improved eyesight as a result of HGH. The evidence is anecdotal.

[quote]on edge wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[/quote]

Are you sure about this? My understanding is he denied using in all his testimony. I agree with the rest of what you posted, I just never heard he copped to anything.[/quote]

By the way, how about those Warriors, eh?

Did you see the game on Christmas? Kevin Love? What a fucking joke! Kyrie Irving? About the time he rounds into playing shape is the time he’ll get injured again.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]on edge wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[/quote]

By the way, how about those Warriors, eh?

Did you see the game on Christmas? Kevin Love? What a fucking joke! Kyrie Irving? About the time he rounds into playing shape is the time he’ll get injured again.[/quote]

I’ve got kids monopolizing the TV playing video games. I missed all of the Christmas day game and only have seen parts of other Warrior games. Yeah, I’m a push over.

I started using hgh after my 2nd shoulder injury…been on it non stop pretty much 4yrs… it helps with recovery… Depending on its quality and doasages it can help build lean muscle… more than anything with a combination of low does testosterone you can literally keep your body in its 20s… slows down aging too imo… hair & skin look good. But for athletes Id say recovery time is it… Also its virtually impossible to test for so kinda a waste of time for pro sports to try & stop…but makes interesting story for news imo

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

God is love
Love is blind
Stevie Wonder is blind
[/quote]

I don’t see a single negative premise in the OP’s post. The form of the argument is more like this:

Next, the OP takes the same form (IAA-2>>>Some P is M, All S is M, therefore All S is P) and inserts a new minor term:

The problem is that the middle term (substances with recuperative powers) is undistributed in both premises, which explains why the FORM of the argument is invalid.[/quote]

I don’t see what this has to do with Stevie Wonder.

Remember what Nietzsche said in The Gay Science: Stevie Wonder is dead.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
Myriad ways.

[/quote]

The HGH made it easier for him to quickly pick up the ball out of the pitcher’s hand and identify the spin. He could also track the ball on its way from the pitcher’s hand to the plate much better. This essentially means that he sees the ball longer than other hitters facing the same pitcher.

That’s why it’s extremely rare for a hitter to stand anywhere other than in the extreme back of the batter’s box.[/quote]

I mentioned attention & adderall because Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner were caught using it is at as PED. Sherman got lucky because the specimen collector screwed up which is why he didn’t get suspended. That was his breakout season and being a corner back requires quick instinctive skills especially when reading the QB’s eye.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
Myriad ways.

[/quote]

That’s why it’s extremely rare for a hitter to stand anywhere other than in the extreme back of the batter’s box.[/quote]

I mentioned attention & adderall because Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner were caught using it is at as PED. Sherman got lucky because the specimen collector screwed up which is why he didn’t get suspended. That was his breakout season and being a corner back requires quick instinctive skills especially when reading the QB’s eye. [/quote]

Adderall is a stimulant. It sharpens the focus for those with attention disorders, but for those without such issues it simply acts as a stimulant. And a quite effective one, at that. So I’ve been told.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

God is love
Love is blind
Stevie Wonder is blind
[/quote]

The problem is that the middle term (substances with recuperative powers) is undistributed in both premises, which explains why the FORM of the argument is invalid.[/quote]

I don’t see what this has to do with Stevie Wonder.

Remember what Nietzsche said in The Gay Science: Stevie Wonder is dead.
[/quote]

But…I thought Eric Clapton was God. Is he dead, too?