How Did You Guys Feel After Graduating High School?

Fucking bingo. I work in the industry and this post fucking nailed it.

Pay attention to the other guys because they have more knowledge and experience than I do, but I will say that I know at least…4 guys off the top of my head who just worked construction in summers in high school, continued working for a few years after, then just had the money and the knowledge to start their own companies. 8-10 years later, they all seem to be just fine.

That’s not guaranteed though. Listen to the other guys.

Also, on college: listen to @dchris

I am a college freshman and cannot tell you how many kids I went to high school with and go to college with now who are fucking idiots regarding money. I was accepted to a couple very good schools and am going to the state university in my hometown. It’s a decent enough school but in the words of my bio lab partner when discussing skipping class: “I’m a freshman at NSU. No one expects anything from me.”

I’m living at home, I work multiple jobs, I chose the cheapest school I could, and I’ll graduate with zero debt, guaranteed. (I got a fair amount of scholarship money as well.)

Go to the cheapest school you can, at least while you get your generals. No one cares what school you go to and you shouldn’t either. Financial success is not entirely dependent on the name of the school.

WORK! Like I said, I have multiple jobs. Delivering papers in the early morning, tech support in the afternoons, YMCA in the evenings, and bouncing on the weekends. I’m also an honors student taking more credits than most, and getting all A’s, and I still find time to watch TV and nap. If you’re smart with your time it’s really not that to hard to be a student AND work AND have free time, and I’d argue that that last one is a luxury, not a necessity.

Apply for scholarships. I know a girl who’s mom made her apply for 2 scholarships every single day of her senior year. Weekends off. She’s got a full ride now, plus some. As do I. Even if you’re not super smart you can get some. I’m really not that smart, just smart enough to do well. I got expelled from high school my junior year and only had like a 3.2 or 3.3 GPA when I graduated. Still found scholarships, and you can still get them even while in college. You’re black right? There you go - I got some for being Native, I know you can get some. Millions go unclaimed every year - take some of it.

So: cheapest school as possible, work, and apply for scholarships all the time. My advice for getting through school debt free and starting adult life without one of the biggest setbacks besides like a kid or something.

2 Likes

I remember thinking: “This shitshow is finally over”

2 Likes

I remember feeling similar for a few hours on the night of my graduation, it hit me suddenly when I saw a bunch of people celebrating bigly after the graduation ceremony

Maybe it lasted longer than that now that I’m thinking about it, maybe a few days, can’t remember

I’m very confident that you’ll forget it too

1 Like

All my classmates were assholes
I worked a bullshit job at the mall, and they were all assholes.

When I got older, moved to a bigger city and came back, realized it was because the town was freakin racist.

1 Like

Oh what is your ethnicity? if you don’t mind me asking. That really stinks.

We don’t technically have hs over here in britain/england though we do have sixth form/a levels for the youngesters that stay on…mostly, I would say it was better than school, why? Because I chose to be there as opposed to having to be there, which in my crazy contrarian mind made a big difference. But yeah, it was ok, not brillliant but better than school for the reason I just explained because their were less idiots in sixth form college.

1 Like

I’m Bangladeshi.

1 Like

that i will be soon a slave like 90% of the population

2 Likes

Freedom. I was finally free of the government mandated regiment.
I did two years at a community college. Never did anything with my degree. If I did it again I would have skipped college. But luckily I didn’t have loan debt.

2 Likes

I had checked out as of mid junior year from school. Smoked weed every day, stayed up late and partied, only came to school when I “felt” like it. Ended up graduating by the skin of my teeth.

Did a couple years at community college, but no degrees or certifications. I was working every second I wasn’t in classes from the summer I graduated. Roofing was good cash and consistent 60-70 hours a week in summer, fall and spring. Fell back on property maintenance during winters. Eventually I transitioned into HVAC with zero debt. Less than ten years later and I make a comfortable living with a house in a great school district for when I have kids.

This is not really conventional thinking and a lot of people may bash me for even mentioning this but if you find a way into a trade in a company where you are upwardly mobile, you don’t even need school. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication but it is doable. Also, many companies will pay for any schooling pertaining to your trade if you do decide to go, once you’ve been hired.

2 Likes

Not sure why anyone would bash you for this. You’re learning a valuable trade that adds value to everyday life my man.

I’d only add, if one were so inclined, learn a bit about business administration and venture out on your own/start your own company. That’s the only caveat I’d add and that’s only for those of us who want to take that risk and responsibility … but there’s nothing wrong with learning a trade and mastering it at all anyone who says otherwise is a fool who doesn’t understand value.

3 Likes

Thanks polo, I only prefaced it due to the way school was crammed down my throat growing up or even out of highschool.

A lot of people i grew up with (parents, girlfriends, cousins) wanted school to be #1 priority after HS and would try to convince me it was something I had to do.

My brother was in a similar situation as me (hated school, barely graduated) and he started framing right after highschool while taking some classes at night, never graduated though.

He now owns a very successful roofing and siding business. Definitely worked out for him.

2 Likes