How Did YOU Get Cut?

[quote]Nicholas F wrote:
Lonnie123 wrote:
3 - Cardio - Unless you are training with a high volume (Look at CT’s journal) you pretty much need to do cardio to get ripped

100 percent agree with everything you said except #3. I’ll argue with anyone all day that doing 10 sets of sprints with long intervals of rest is better than doing cardio for the same amount of time.

I do pretty much zero cardio, aside from BJJ one day a week, and I gotta eat like a horse just to stay at 9 percent. [/quote]

Cardio has different meanings, I would consider doing 10 sets of sprints a form of cardio myself. Normally I would recommend 15 to 20 minutes of HIIT three times per week. Not necessarily long duration 3mph walking.

Most of us have to try to get DOWN to 9%, so you have to take that into consideration too.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
Nicholas F wrote:
Lonnie123 wrote:
3 - Cardio - Unless you are training with a high volume (Look at CT’s journal) you pretty much need to do cardio to get ripped

100 percent agree with everything you said except #3. I’ll argue with anyone all day that doing 10 sets of sprints with long intervals of rest is better than doing cardio for the same amount of time.

I do pretty much zero cardio, aside from BJJ one day a week, and I gotta eat like a horse just to stay at 9 percent.

Cardio has different meanings, I would consider doing 10 sets of sprints a form of cardio myself. Normally I would recommend 15 to 20 minutes of HIIT three times per week. Not necessarily long duration 3mph walking.

Most of us have to try to get DOWN to 9%, so you have to take that into consideration too.[/quote]

Very true. If your idea of cardio is anything not involving lifting heavy objects, then Im in agreeance.

Only point Im trying to make that cardio is really only beneficial if its at least moderately HIT. And why not get the best bang for your buck(and time, and wear and tear on your joints) by going all out?

Well, I missed the first try-out, and then I showed up 45 minutes late for the third one. The coach just told me that there was no room on the team for me. He was nice about it though.

Steady-state running has a much greater potential to burn fat than “HIIT” for no other reason that it is possible to do a much greater volume of the former. Of course, that comes with major disadvantages- muscle loss, disruption of strength training program, etc. Most bodybuilder types won’t be able to perform nearly enough continuous running to make it worthwhile anyway, so HIIt may indeed be preferable.

I did the Carb Cycling Codex for about two months, no real cardio, lost twenty pounds. I was a fool and neglected my legs, and I definitely lost some muscle. Then I was part of the Cheater’s Diet test group for 12 weeks and dropped 15 lbs and 3.5" off my waist with no apparent strength loss (and actually hit some PRs). This involved a lot of cardio.

I still have this damn bit of fat hanging onto my bottom row of abs, so after some hardcore eating this past weekend I started the velocity diet this week. Frankly I know I can’t last very long like this, so whatever happens I’ll go back to maintenance for the rest of the summer after this last stab.

[quote]wfifer wrote:
I did the Carb Cycling Codex for about two months, no real cardio, lost twenty pounds. I was a fool and neglected my legs, and I definitely lost some muscle. Then I was part of the Cheater’s Diet test group for 12 weeks and dropped 15 lbs and 3.5" off my waist with no apparent strength loss (and actually hit some PRs). This involved a lot of cardio.
[/quote]

Very impressive. You should post some Before and Afters.

[quote]wfifer wrote:

I still have this damn bit of fat hanging onto my bottom row of abs, so after some hardcore eating this past weekend I started the velocity diet this week. Frankly I know I can’t last very long like this, so whatever happens I’ll go back to maintenance for the rest of the summer after this last stab. [/quote]

post up afterwards and let us know how it went. If all you have left to go are the lower abs, the V-diet should work well I imagine. I lost about 12 - 15 pounds of fat myself on it.

I’ve been doing a combination of massive eating and the cheaters diet (less aggressive though) for the past month and a half and I’ve lost around 4% bodyfat without any significant loss in muscle.

I did lose a bit of strength on a couple lifts initially, but I’m pretty close to being back to my starting point now. I’m down to around 10-11% and I think I’m going to call it in about a week or so. As much as I like seeing my abs again, I’m getting board. I’m not going to go up to 15% before dieting next time though. I stopped gaining much muscle during my bulk around 13% last time.

JB has an article called “Ripped in 6” coming up about extreme dieting for 6 weeks to get fast results as a heads up. Sounds like it could be interesting.

While I am 100% sure it will be nothing like it, it might act as a sister article to the V-diet or something like that. In a sense that they both rip fat off quickly.