How Did The Pros USED To Train?

All we see now from IFBB Pro’s is them training with ridiculous volume/intensity/frequency such as 5x a week Morning AND Night, yet they STILL make gains. Now obviously this has something to do with the AAS they’re on and their genetics and it’d never work for somebody who is “average” in terms of bodybuilding genetics.

But surely the Pro’s used to train in a simple way just like the rest of us, before actually becoming Pro didn’t they? E.g. Did they ever use methods such as 5x5 or German Volume Training (10x10) etc? They can’t have ALWAYS trained the way they do now.

For example, I just watched Branch Warren training and he didn’t even seem like he had a set routine, he just went into the gym & did a shit LOAD of exercises.

[quote]Vanchatron wrote:
All we see now from IFBB Pro’s is them training with ridiculous volume/intensity/frequency such as 5x a week Morning AND Night, yet they STILL make gains. Now obviously this has something to do with the AAS they’re on and their genetics and it’d never work for somebody who is “average” in terms of bodybuilding genetics.

But surely the Pro’s used to train in a simple way just like the rest of us, before actually becoming Pro didn’t they? E.g. Did they ever use methods such as 5x5 or German Volume Training (10x10) etc? They can’t have ALWAYS trained the way they do now. For example, I just watched Branch Warren training and he didn’t even seem like he had a set routine, he just went into the gym & did a shit LOAD of exercises.[/quote]

Most of the pro’s just do a 5 day split, something like:
legs,chest,back,shoulders,arms and train ONCE a day, not twice like you said.

They also have probably been doing that since very early on in their training career because it is very effective at putting on size, more so than this precious 5x5 & 10x10 shit, believe it or not.

I bet if you trained 2xday, 5 days a week, and ate lots, you’d grow like crazy. I don’t buy the overtraining bullshit. I know arnold, when he was young, never, ever, took a day off.

[quote]shookers wrote:
I bet if you trained 2xday, 5 days a week, and ate lots, you’d grow like crazy. I don’t buy the overtraining bullshit. I know arnold, when he was young, never, ever, took a day off.[/quote]

word, is that what he told you?

[quote]shookers wrote:
I bet if you trained 2xday, 5 days a week, and ate lots, you’d grow like crazy. I don’t buy the overtraining bullshit. I know arnold, when he was young, never, ever, took a day off.[/quote]

Ah, Arnold. There’s an example of someone with average genetics.

Excellent point.

[quote]Vanchatron wrote:

But surely the Pro’s used to train in a simple way just like the rest of us, before actually becoming Pro didn’t they? E.g. Did they ever use methods such as 5x5 or German Volume Training (10x10) etc? They can’t have ALWAYS trained the way they do now. For example, I just watched Branch Warren training and he didn’t even seem like he had a set routine, he just went into the gym & did a shit LOAD of exercises.[/quote]

I can’t speak for Branch, but there is a difference between guys who train inconsistently versus those who train consistently.

Chances are there aren’t outrageous differences in Branch’s chest routine from one week to the next even though he may not follow a routine to the letter. The variations seen are probably minor judgment calls he makes along the way about sets and load based on how strong, weak, or injury prone he feels that session.

[quote]Travacolypse wrote:
shookers wrote:
I bet if you trained 2xday, 5 days a week, and ate lots, you’d grow like crazy. I don’t buy the overtraining bullshit. I know arnold, when he was young, never, ever, took a day off.

Ah, Arnold. There’s an example of someone with average genetics.

Excellent point.[/quote]

Besides he never took steroids.

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
Vanchatron wrote:

But surely the Pro’s used to train in a simple way just like the rest of us, before actually becoming Pro didn’t they? E.g. Did they ever use methods such as 5x5 or German Volume Training (10x10) etc? They can’t have ALWAYS trained the way they do now. For example, I just watched Branch Warren training and he didn’t even seem like he had a set routine, he just went into the gym & did a shit LOAD of exercises.

They also have probably been doing that since very early on in their training career because it is very effective at putting on size, more so than this precious 5x5 & 10x10 shit, believe it or not.[/quote]

If I could just link you to a thread I made which delves into the points you just made above, I’d be grateful if you could take a look & give me your opinions on it - http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/couple_questions_regarding_training

Obviously that goes for anybody else who feels like lending a hand aswell. The thread’s only short, so you won’t be sat reading for hours :slight_smile:

[quote]shookers wrote:

for the sake of your argument, this was a TERRIBLE example ha

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
Vanchatron wrote:

But surely the Pro’s used to train in a simple way just like the rest of us, before actually becoming Pro didn’t they? E.g. Did they ever use methods such as 5x5 or German Volume Training (10x10) etc? They can’t have ALWAYS trained the way they do now. For example, I just watched Branch Warren training and he didn’t even seem like he had a set routine, he just went into the gym & did a shit LOAD of exercises.

They also have probably been doing that since very early on in their training career because it is very effective at putting on size, more so than this precious 5x5 & 10x10 shit, believe it or not.[/quote]

Agreed. Most of these guys are not training twice a day unless they are dieting down, and then it is usually revolving around cardio sessions.

Branch’s routine may appear “chaotic” to a beginner simply because most don’t understand the ability to make a judgment call right on the spot. They think in terms of some set in stone number of reps and sets. A PROFESSIONAL ADVANCED bodybuilder is not reliant on what is written on paper. They’ve been doing it long enough to know right then when something needs to be changed.

I do find it funny that so many of you seem to believe they are training so wrong that it ONLY works because of drug use and genetics.

Let the brainwashing resume.

[quote]shookers wrote:

i know this arguement seems to come up all the time, but i too think people should just shut up about overtraining and train more
I can’t speak for the very advanced, but the whole thing about avoided excess cardio especially, just seems like nonsense to me

Fuck I hate the genetic game people play on this site.

Your body adds muscle mass in its self preserving interest of survival. If you train hard you will grow. Pro’s train hard. And I’m willing to bet they trained just as hard before they were pro’s. I think when you’ve been training for over 10+ years you won’t need a log.

Arnold trained 5-6 hours a day. Before you scream steriods and genetics…take in account he worked hard and that’s really the most important factor imo.

Just out of interest, how much did Arnold sleep each day? Any info on that?

Also remember Arnold worked out for promos, and the like, so he would work half-assed for a few hours a day, and then do real work outs in his own time. You probably couldnt account for ‘5-6 hours a day’ of proper training.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Goodfellow wrote:
Vanchatron wrote:

They also have probably been doing that since very early on in their training career because it is very effective at putting on size, more so than this precious 5x5 & 10x10 shit, believe it or not.

Agreed. Most of these guys are not training twice a day unless they are dieting down, and then it is usually revolving around cardio sessions.

Branch’s routine may appear “chaotic” to a beginner simply because most don’t understand the ability to make a judgment call right on the spot. They think in terms of some set in stone number of reps and sets. A PROFESSIONAL ADVANCED bodybuilder is not reliant on what is written on paper. They’ve been doing it long enough to know right then when something needs to be changed.

I do find it funny that so many of you seem to believe they are training so wrong that it ONLY works because of drug use and genetics.

Let the brainwashing resume.[/quote]

Absolutely right.
If you have been in this game for a while, you know what exercises work what bodyparts, and you know which particularly suit you. You know roughly how many sets you need to nail a bodypart. You know it, and can feel it.
If you don’t, you haven’t been paying attention.

[quote]Vanchatron wrote:
Goodfellow wrote:
Vanchatron wrote:

If I could just link you to a thread I made which delves into the points you just made above, I’d be grateful if you could take a look & give me your opinions on it - http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/couple_questions_regarding_training

Obviously that goes for anybody else who feels like lending a hand aswell. The thread’s only short, so you won’t be sat reading for hours :)[/quote]

If you just want some examples of people who have got big over doing split routines, look at:

all the bodybuilders for one,
people’s bodyspace in bodybuilding.com

Some threads you should also read:
the bauer chronicles (t-cell alpha)
Professor X: A request (bodybuilding)
Gimmie an X (t-cell alpha

Let the brainwashing resume.[/quote]

You know, the harder I work in the gym, the better my genetics seem to become.

Can’t remember who said it first, but seems appropriate.

[quote]Vanchatron wrote:
But surely the Pro’s used to train in a simple way just like the rest of us, before actually becoming Pro didn’t they? E.g. Did they ever use methods such as 5x5 or German Volume Training (10x10) etc? They can’t have ALWAYS trained the way they do now.[/quote]

I think I interpreted your question differently. Are you asking how did current pro bodybuilders train before they became pros? Or are you asking how did the pro bodybuilders of the past (50s, 60s, etc) train?

If it’s the first, I have no clue.

If it’s the second, I have a clue. But if that’s not what we’re going on about, I won’t hijack.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Vanchatron wrote:
But surely the Pro’s used to train in a simple way just like the rest of us, before actually becoming Pro didn’t they? E.g. Did they ever use methods such as 5x5 or German Volume Training (10x10) etc? They can’t have ALWAYS trained the way they do now.

I think I interpreted your question differently. Are you asking how did current pro bodybuilders train before they became pros? Or are you asking how did the pro bodybuilders of the past (50s, 60s, etc) train?

If it’s the first, I have no clue.

If it’s the second, I have a clue. But if that’s not what we’re going on about, I won’t hijack.[/quote]

He’s not talking about how pros of the past trained, but even if he was, it isn’t like they trained that differently than they do now aside from spending even MORE time in the gym on a regular basis.

On a side note, when did “5x5 or 10x10” become the standards by which people train now?

He’s not talking about how pros of the past trained, but even if he was, it isn’t like they trained that differently than they do now aside from spending even MORE time in the gym on a regular basis.[/quote]
True enough. The common theme seems to have been doing more work/overall volume in each session, compared to today. Two or three hour workouts weren’t uncommon, but I reckon few folks today would consider that a “good idea.”

Another common element to many of the top-level guys is the idea of learning what works for you, and relying on what your body best responds to. This seems to be something that the dedicated do instinctively, and the others need to learn.

Hey, at least it killed the 3x10 standard. Wait, didn’t it? You almost never hear anyone referring to that anymore, but it was “the plan” 10 to 15+ years ago.

5x5 I can understand, but people recommending 10x10 for a beginner are out of their mind.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Professor X wrote:
He’s not talking about how pros of the past trained, but even if he was, it isn’t like they trained that differently than they do now aside from spending even MORE time in the gym on a regular basis.
True enough. The common theme seems to have been doing more work/overall volume in each session, compared to today. Two or three hour workouts weren’t uncommon, but I reckon few folks today would consider that a “good idea.”

Another common element to many of the top-level guys is the idea of learning what works for you, and relying on what your body best responds to. This seems to be something that the dedicated do instinctively, and the others need to learn.

On a side note, when did “5x5 or 10x10” become the standards by which people train now?
Hey, at least it killed the 3x10 standard. Wait, didn’t it? You almost never hear anyone referring to that anymore, but it was “the plan” 10-15+ years ago.

5x5 I can understand, but people recommending 10x10 for a beginner are out of their mind.[/quote]

3x10 is still what I would recommend to most.

More than anything, most of the dim lights need to learn that these are not meant to be some unbreakable rules to never veer from. They were designed to give you a basic skeleton while you figure out what your body best responds to. I really don’t think most of them understand that.