How did S. Y. Smolov Come Up with his Squat Routine???

What makes it so effective and how did he come up with it? I’ve read lots of articles before and nothing has ever gave me enough info to create such a brutally effective program. I’ve heard some guys gain up to 100 pounds on their squat. I’m thinking of trying out smolov jr…

[quote]TYPE2B wrote:
how did he come up with it?[/quote]

Bad childhood and as an adult he liked to torture small animals. Smolov came quite easily out from that background :slight_smile:

[quote]PowerfulOne wrote:
TYPE2B wrote:
how did he come up with it?

Bad childhood and as an adult he liked to torture small animals. Smolov came quite easily out from that background :)[/quote]

I heard that when he first wrote it, it was called “The Atomic Goat-Screw” (loosely translated). He came up with the most performance-suicide set/rep schema he could think of. The key was that it couldn’t be too extreme or the Goat-Screw wouldn’t be tested at all. once he saw that it really worked, he put his name on it.

[quote]undesired08 wrote:
PowerfulOne wrote:
TYPE2B wrote:

Bad childhood and as an adult he liked to torture small animals. Smolov came quite easily out from that background :slight_smile:

I heard that when he first wrote it, it was called “The Atomic Goat-Screw” (loosely translated). He came up with the most performance-suicide set/rep schema he could think of. The key was that it couldn’t be too extreme or the Goat-Screw wouldn’t be tested at all. Once he saw that it really worked, he put his name on it.[/quote]

I’m curious, are you BSing or is this the truth?

[quote]TYPE2B wrote:
undesired08 wrote:
PowerfulOne wrote:
TYPE2B wrote:

I heard that when he first wrote it, it was called “The Atomic Goat-Screw” (loosely translated). He came up with the most performance-suicide set/rep schema he could think of. The key was that it couldn’t be too extreme or the Goat-Screw wouldn’t be tested at all. Once he saw that it really worked, he put his name on it.

I’m curious, are you BSing or is this the truth?[/quote]

BS. Sorry.

TYPE2B wrote:
undesired08 wrote:
PowerfulOne wrote:
TYPE2B wrote:

I heard that when he first wrote it, it was called “The Atomic Goat-Screw” (loosely translated). He came up with the most performance-suicide set/rep schema he could think of. The key was that it couldn’t be too extreme or the Goat-Screw wouldn’t be tested at all. Once he saw that it really worked, he put his name on it.

I’m curious, are you BSing or is this the truth?

BS. Sorry.[/quote]
My story though so I am sticking to it.

lol

Uhhh… maybe years of coaching and experimenting with intensity fluctuations? The more years you coach the more you get a “feel” for certain things and how programs affect people.

It’ didnt just magically pop up. its all based on experience.

-chris

[quote]Avocado wrote:
Uhhh… maybe years of coaching and experimenting with intensity fluctuations? The more years you coach the more you get a “feel” for certain things and how programs affect people.

-chris[/quote]

So all of it took him years of guess work BEFORE creating it? Is there any specific scientific explanation on exactly WHY it works?

[quote]TYPE2B wrote:
Is there any specific scientific explanation on exactly WHY it works?[/quote]

Uuuuuhhhhh… loads of squatting at various intensity levels and rep/set schemes make your squat bigger?

[quote]TYPE2B wrote:
Avocado wrote:

-chris

So all of it took him years of guess work BEFORE creating it? Is there any specific scientific explanation on exactly WHY it works?[/quote]

Its not that he had to guesswork but that he just developed a different, less acute and focused program into smolov as the need arose.

It may not have taken that long either. Might have been something he drew up and modified until someone survived it.

And the science is basic human physiology and extreme mental toughness. The only way to find out if it works for you is to do it.

-chris

[quote]Avocado wrote:
TYPE2B wrote:
Avocado wrote:
And the science is basic human physiology and extreme mental toughness. The only way to find out if it works for you is to do it.

-chris[/quote]

This is one of the BIGGEST factors. A person’s mind will quit or lose the battle before the body does (for the most part). There are those how have trained and learned to push it to absolute failure.

Avocado wrote:
TYPE2B wrote:
Avocado wrote:

-chris

This is one of the BIGGEST factors. A person’s mind will quit or lose the battle before the body does (for the most part). There are those how have trained and learned to push it to absolute failure.
[/quote]

That’s why it has to be a hard fast rule in ones mind with squat that if you can do two, you can always do one more.

-chris

[quote]
I heard that when he first wrote it, it was called “The Atomic Goat-Screw” (loosely translated). He came up with the most performance-suicide set/rep schema he could think of. The key was that it couldn’t be too extreme or the Goat-Screw wouldn’t be tested at all. once he saw that it really worked, he put his name on it.[/quote]

HA!!!

Okay, with that creative explanation, you’ve convinced me!

After I get done with my present program (and then 9 weeks on Sheiko) I am going on the full 13-week Smolov.

Looks like that’ll be end of July/beginning of August for me.

Hopefully I will have gained back a large percentage of my lost strength and body weight by then.

[quote]Checkmate wrote:

I heard that when he first wrote it, it was called “The Atomic Goat-Screw” (loosely translated). He came up with the most performance-suicide set/rep schema he could think of. The key was that it couldn’t be too extreme or the Goat-Screw wouldn’t be tested at all. once he saw that it really worked, he put his name on it.

HA!!!

Okay, with that creative explanation, you’ve convinced me!

After I get done with my present program (and then 9 weeks on Sheiko) I am going on the full 13-week Smolov.

Looks like that’ll be end of July/beginning of August for me.

Hopefully I will have gained back a large percentage of my lost strength and body weight by then.[/quote]

If you haven’t, you will get it back on the Base phase pretty quickly.

Undesired:

You have mail.