How Did Poliquin Learn?

Everyone knows that Charles searched endlessly for infortmation on German and Eastern Block training techniques, but my question is where did he search? i went to my library and all I could find were your basic training books. How does one go about finding obsecure sources?

a bigger library.

Look way back in the T-mag archives and you will find an early interview with him. He goes into this more.

its not that hard to get the european texts… you just have to look…

[quote]SaltyMoFo wrote:
Everyone knows that Charles searched endlessly for infortmation on German and Eastern Block training techniques, but my question is where did he search? i went to my library and all I could find were your basic training books. How does one go about finding obsecure sources?[/quote]

Search for an author named Cometti. I think his stuff is only available in French, though.

As far as I know, Charles, in order to figure out what’s actually in these texts, he needed to learn german (and I think russian).

• you need to look “at the source”.
    From what I know, when I was doing my degree in Sport Science and Physical Educatiion in Poland/Warsaw, and in our uni we had plenty of Russian research, texts, books that have become “must read” right now in western world… my weight lifting tutors always repeted such names like Zatziorski, Bompa, Roman and many other russian weighlifting coaches.
    but, that time I was looking for everything that was western.
    I guess, Charles figured out that that time the right way would be “look east”.

So, credit to him, he really invested in his education, + he did it in a right time.

Similarly, look at F. HAtfield (aka Dr Squat) he always quotes Russian sources.
so does the same Luis Simmons from WSB

this is what I also think, if you want to get these materials… look for their authors. If it means, studing russian, german, polish to work this out… I am really sorry, that’s the price to pay.

I needed to learn english to read your “gurus”

Regards,

go to the dynamic fitness website (the one that sell ELEIKO in the US.

Look at the sportivny press section for lots of Russian info (all are translated into english)

I have a bunch of them tons of stuff to digest.

in my attempts to become great in this game i have yet to read anything that wasn’t online. perhaps years from now when i decide to read printed literature about sports science, etc. i’ll discover that i had access to it all online, in the gym, and in my intuition. hopefully not though.

You can usually get translations. Even if it means paying for them that might be a little easier than learning Russian.

He probably got his info the same place Louie Simmons did, from Dr. Yessis.

If you go to his website, he published a magazine for a number of years that was nothing but translations of eastern sports journals. He still sells back copies of those magazines.

[quote]SaltyMoFo wrote:
Everyone knows that Charles searched endlessly for infortmation on German and Eastern Block training techniques, but my question is where did he search? i went to my library and all I could find were your basic training books. How does one go about finding obsecure sources?[/quote]

I have 2 points, one, why are you so interested in the Eastern bloc training? Because if you are looking for ways to improve your performance, weighlifting, ect there are much easier (and perhaps more effective) ways to increase your performance than learning German. And two, if you are looking at your library I question how much reading in the field you have done–not a critizism, just I think you might be better off reading some other material first to get a better background of knowledge. Ok and I guess one last point, I haven’t really read any direct sources, but I have read a limited number of translations and the materails was very science oriented, basically like a study from a journal and usually have quite a bit of physics in them. So yes I probably droned on too long, but I just wanted to let you know what you’re getting into before you start to work on your German.