How Cool is Your Gym?

My gym is open 24 hours a day/7 days a week. Has one squat rack, 3 power racks, dumbbells up to 120lbs i think, a platform for deadlifts and OL with bumpers, a reverse hyper machine, a vertimax, doesn’t mind chalk, costs 30 bucks a month, has many bball courts, a small jogging track, and even a heavy bag and speed bag. Not bad huh?

Right now my gym is cooler than anybodies. I train in my parents unheated barn. I have a squat rack and a olympic bench, 600
lbs. of weights and dumbells from 5-50 lbs.Music is provided by a 10 yr old cd-boombox. For cardio equipment there is a jumprope hanging on an old standard bench.

I can’t imagine lifting in a regular gym and having to share space with others. No one does curls in squat rack at my gym!

I hate my gym but I’m too poor to lift in the weight club’s gym. I lift in the recreational center at school, in the 3rd floor “fitness area” for non athletes. While the athletes have thick bars, platforms and bymper plates, GHR’s bands and chains, i get no such ameneties.

Luckily, and I am so thankful, there are several full power racks, however they’re almost always occupied by benchers and curlers, and I don’t mean cold guys with brooms.

I go at 6:30 in the morning when I can stay psyched up and lift without anybody trying to talk to me about MTV True Life when I’m picturing blood, fire and war in between sets.

My favorite gym, the coolest as far as I’m concerned is the one I set up for my little brother in the old hen house: two olympic bar’s, 500 pounds of plates and a 50 pound sandbag for the little guy. We’ll get him some bumpers, a platform and a rack and he’ll be made for life. If we could only get the old man out there…

I too workout in my basement and love it. Despite the few downsides - it’s a bit cold right now, the ceiling is on 7’, and there’s not enough room to do the type of “cardio” I like (plyometrics, sprinting, medicine ball work) - I’d have a hard time training anywhere else…except for this place in Braintree, MA - Bayshore Athletic Club. That place is the best gym I’ve ever been in. Although, I would like to see Derek’s gym - dude, where’s your gym!

[quote]arnethorvald wrote:
No way HvRv, my gym definately has the best babes. They even dress as little santas… how can you possibly compete with that?

Seriously, we have a quite decent cellar with enough squat racks and weights for everyone. Great stereo too, and access 24-7.[/quote]

Nooo Way… I thought my girls look good but this. Ther is no whay they can compete with THAT. That one in red shirt and green swets looks fiiine. She must be model or something. :slight_smile:

I don’t bring cell to the gym so I can’t take pictures but I’ll try to get some.

[quote]tumbeh wrote:
Derek and StrongMan, where are you in Mass?
[/quote]

Mine is in Whitman. By saying “it’s mine”, I mean I run it out of an old warehouse. Pics up as soon as I can figure how to get them on here.

I am getting an EliteFTS power rack with band pegs (SOYG package)in my basement. The grass out in front of my apartment building is getting a royal ass-kicking from my sled on a daily basis. Now, for the gyms on post.

Every imagineable bullshit machine (mostly useless) is in these gyms. The dumbbells are about the only decent piece of equipment. The bench presses are Hammer Strength so I have to lock out my arms to get the bar out or do a half ROM press to get started.

Every asshole likes to do his chest flys on the bench press. The power rack blows, but that doesn’t matter because Captain Dipshit Upper-Arms is doing a million sets of curls anyway. No squat rack. Don’t think about squats unless you’re using one of the three Smith Machines. Deadlifts? FUCK NO!! Chalk? HELL FUCKING NO!! Am I ever going back? You have a better chance of seeing God than seeing me back in one of those gyms.

People? Every asshole who bought Flex, Muscle this, muscle that, muscle for a brain magazine who are all doing the same “programs” for that month simultaneously. I used to try to hook up my bands on the bench press (since the squat rack exists in that gym in another dimension) and got kicked out. “Too unsafe” was the phrase. Some wanna-be officer told me that I need to learn to lift the right way, and Flex was the resource. I was actually offended by that!

I guess the general message is that I hate the hell out of the military gyms. I wanna come lift in some of these Iron Paradises that were mentioned in the previous posts

Signed, Embittered

[quote]sic wrote:
lift nekkid if I choose

[/quote]

Do you?

Currently working out on my Bowflex in the upstairs room of my house. I also got the SelectTechs.

Our local gym shut down about 6 months ago - the people that worked there were great, but they didn’t have much (one flat bench, one squat rack, one curl bar, etc.) and it was all old stuff donated by the local High School (circa 1982).

They were charging $35 a month for membership, and a lot of people weren’t willing to pay that much for the lack of machinery.

I didn’t mind it, because something was better than nothing…and there wasn’t a ton of traffic (usually just me and one other dude at 6am). We could play whatever music we wanted, and there was a hottub and sauna.

Anyways, it closed, so I figured rather than have nothing to fall back on, I’d invest in the home gym market - I miss doing ‘real’ bench press and squats, but outside of that, I prefer the cable exercises on the Bowflex to those you’d typically find at a gym.

CR

One of the gyms I go to is pretty decent. Got two bences, two squat racks and two smith machines. Dumbbells up to 140’s but they need some bigger ones. One of their other locations has 160’s but it too f*cking packed with people chit chatting standing around. Anyway, leg press holds 12 plates on each side and 8 on top that is just decent for now. Only thing is the Manager is a backstabbing prick and a hater. He used to be a monster back in the day but now he wants to run a family fitness center.

So when we try to throw around some weight he wants to complain about it, fck that. And of course it is Januray right now so the place is flooded by these new year’s resolution fckers that stick around for two months max. Do I sound pissed? Nah, its a decent gym, i am just getting amped for chest day tonight.

AA

I’m going to my school gym right now. We’ve got a step rack and a power rack, some benches, dumbbells only up to 100. It’s alright but damn if I’m not jealous of the athlete’s gym. They’ve got eight olympic lifting platforms and squat racks, benches, heavier dumbbells. I asked one of the recreation people at the school about it, the jerkoff pretended it didn’t exist. When I called him out on it he said the regular gym was better.

[quote]djoh615893 wrote:
I guess the general message is that I hate the hell out of the military gyms. I wanna come lift in some of these Iron Paradises that were mentioned in the previous posts

Signed, Embittered[/quote]

Now, see, I have fond memories of the gym I went to when I was at Camp Pendleton. It wasn’t anything spectacular. The biggest thing that sticks out in my mind was that not only was chalk allowed, it was provided.

When I was lived in Santa Clarita, the gym there wasn’t bad and had decent hours; 4am - 12am.

Now that I am back in Milwaukee, most every gym here sucks. They all have shitty equipment, limited hours, or some other deficiency. Animal House is probably the best, but they have the world’s worst designed power rack. Now I just go to Bally’s for convenience since I no longer have a car and never leave the downtown area.

[quote]BIGRAGOO wrote:
sic wrote:
lift nekkid if I choose

Do you?[/quote]

Not entirely. But I did start deadlifting in a thong after I accidentally shrunk my comfiest shorts.

Mine isn’t too cool.

They have 8 nice treadmills, 2 elliptical machines and then the rows on rows of hammer strength starts.

They have 2 of almost every hammer machine (plate load and the weight stack kind). Only 1 bust ass squat rack, 3 portable benches, 1 normal bench, 3 olympic bars, and 1 cable station.

Not much room to do many olympic lifts plus it is a bit crowded late at night (6-8pm) with cardio / cardio kick boxing classe.

Not too cool but it gets the job done for now.

My university gym contains:

2 flat bench press
1 incline bench press
1 decline bench press
1 neck machine
several flat and adjustable benches
dumbbells up to 100
1 squat rack
1 power rack
a bunch of different cable machines
1 olympic lifting platform with bumper weights

My school doesn’t have a varsity football program so the gym isn’t very geared towards that. Our two sports are hockey and basketball. The bumper plates are locked up and only taken out when the local oly lifitng team has training sessions(yet to make it out to one of these) and I’ve commented about the light weight of the dumbbells and they said they’d look into getting higher ones.

Overall I really like my school’s gym if i got before 4 pm or after 8:30 pm… The best part is that there is a seperate cardio room and then another weight machine/cardio area that is very female friendly which leaves the real weight room female free, though you do get the occasional gym idiot.

btw- i like looking at girls but not while i work out

I know I may catch some flack for this, but I join a Gold Gym about 5 or 6 months ago and I love it! I am not a hardcore gym rat,but I am all business when I go there.We have everyone from baby boomer yuppies to collegiate atheletes as members and plenty of hot ass(women)to look at in between sets.It has everything I need right now and more And I am most def gonna renew!!!

[quote]sic wrote:
BIGRAGOO wrote:
sic wrote:
lift nekkid if I choose

Do you?

Not entirely. But I did start deadlifting in a thong after I accidentally shrunk my comfiest shorts.[/quote]

that was a picture that made me smile. thanks sic!

[quote]derek wrote:
tumbeh wrote:
Derek and StrongMan, where are you in Mass?

Mine is in Whitman. By saying “it’s mine”, I mean I run it out of an old warehouse. Pics up as soon as I can figure how to get them on here.

[/quote]

In Milford.