T Nation

How Common Is Abscess?

Gyno, water retention, acne, hair loss, supression, etc, etc. None of this stuff even compares to the nasty ass thought of having a big dirty abscess to me. The reason being most of the above can be controlled and minimised at will- but abscess?

Sure you can be careful with where and how you inject and also with the quality of your juice. But no matter how cautious I am with my injecting techniques and gear, it just seems like no cycle in the world can ever be 100% completely sterile from every aspect.

-How common is abscess in general and for you?

-How have you successfully avoided it?

-Will abscess be unavoidable unless your gear is literally 100% sterile?
Because I handle and transfer my gear from sachet to needle, needle to vial, vial to my muscle.

Your experiences and advice will be very helpful. Thanks.

Don’t put some thing into your body if you are not sure it is sterile. I have done one cycle, and I had no abscesses.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Remember that abscess is a very natural reaction that your body carries out to protect itself from foreign matter. Often, abscess brought on by injections are the result of large pockets of the gear being injected too shallow, basically more sub-cutaneous rather than intramuscular.

Should you form one, have it looked at to determine if it requires lancing. Although as previously stated, you’d have to either be using some really piss-poor materials or just otherwise be a dirty little monkey.

I personally have never gotten an infection or an absess due to an injection. Ive had some type of adverse reaction a time or two but nothing severe.

However a friend of mine that rarely comes off has had two issues that needed oral antibiotics. Ive also had another friend that actually had to have an absess removed from his shoulder.
See Ya

An abcess will become very common if you stick youreself in the same spot all the time.Change it up and you will be fine.

using sterile gear, and ensuring that the needle is always sterile, and you always swab the rubber stopper (if it is a multidose vial), and swab your skin with alcohol or chlorohexedine will ensure that you never get an infectious absess.

Use a medical disinfectant, you can buy otc in a pharmacy.

The alcohol is to numb the site, not intended for sterilisation.

Unless your gear is contaminated (extremely unlikely with pharma grade, but good chance with some UG gear) its unlikely that you’ll face an abcess.

Only thing to watch out for is that you don’t inject through a hair follicle.
And be sure to aspirate.

Personally, I don’t know that many people who’ve had abcesses so its not that common, although I know a few.

These have usually been the result of
a)scar tissue, failure to rotate sites or putting too much in one site too often
b)contaminated ug gear
c)doing something stupid like mixing water based(winny) and oil gear.

Thanks for all the replys.

The most common advice I get is to give one spot at least a weeks interval before shotting in it again. And of course keeping things clean and sterile. Hope these things keep the doctor away…

I appreciate the help.

[quote]Prisoner#22 wrote:
using sterile gear, and ensuring that the needle is always sterile, and you always swab the rubber stopper (if it is a multidose vial), and swab your skin with alcohol or chlorohexedine will ensure that you never get an infectious absess.

[/quote]

Just to expand on P-22’s advice:

NEVER NEVER EVER EVER re-use the needles you inject with. I don’t even re-use my barrels. Don’t re-use your drawing needles either.

In the event that you have a sterile abcess, does it just go away on it’s own? At what point do you just need to suck it up and go to the doctor?