How Come We Never See Huge Zercher Lifts?

Fast forward a minute or so…

I don’t see a point in doing zerchers unless you’re training for strength. It’s a pretty good accessory lift for your posterior chain, IMO.

Doing it in the crooks of your elbows just sounds horrible, though. I’ve heard of the 2x4 trick, though. I’d imagine that helps a bit.

If you’re doing this to improve your stone lifts or something “functional” why not, you know, lift stones or do that functional thing instead?

There was a thread about this awhile back and someone posted a video of themselves doing 650, that the biggest I’ve ever seen.

[quote]ARobb77 wrote:
If you’re doing this to improve your stone lifts or something “functional” why not, you know, lift stones or do that functional thing instead?[/quote]

The same reason some lifters use different bars, angles, DB or BB, etc… Variation.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:

[quote]ARobb77 wrote:
If you’re doing this to improve your stone lifts or something “functional” why not, you know, lift stones or do that functional thing instead?[/quote]

The same reason some lifters use different bars, angles, DB or BB, etc… Variation.[/quote]

I guess I can see that. Seems like a nasty lift to resort to just for variation but if it works, it works.

[quote]ARobb77 wrote:

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:

[quote]ARobb77 wrote:

The same reason some lifters use different bars, angles, DB or BB, etc… Variation.[/quote]

I guess I can see that. Seems like a nasty lift to resort to just for variation but if it works, it works. [/quote]

Yeah, I wouldn’t do them if I didn’t have access to the zercher harness.

Looks useful for strongman competitors who don’t have regular access to stones or a Conan’s wheel.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
Looks useful for strongman competitors who don’t have regular access to stones or a Conan’s wheel. [/quote]

Or people who don’t have access to a rack to squat in like me.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
Looks useful for strongman competitors who don’t have regular access to stones or a Conan’s wheel. [/quote]

Honestly, I don’t think it’d be any more useful for stones than normal deadlifts (given my exposure to stone loading).

It’d probably be helpful with the Conan wheel, but that’s the extent of its usefulness as far as I can tell.

Nevermind

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:
^^ X2 - what’s the value of the zercher unless you’re doing functional strongman training?

Even for strongman (i’m ignorant on strongman lifts) why do you need to go so heavy? How much weight would be the normal amount for say Stone Lifts?[/quote]

It’s a biceps tear waiting to happen.

I swear, it is like some people do shit just so no one calls them a bodybuilder. If the result of a 400lbs “zercher squat” is to look like the guy in that vid, I’ll really fucking pass.[/quote]

Why are you so jelly? Its obvious those Zerchers are what made the guy in the video so huge. If you really focus and eat right you too can be 6’ 190. [/quote]

So now zerchers make you skinny? lolwut?

[quote]xjusticex2013x wrote:

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:
^^ X2 - what’s the value of the zercher unless you’re doing functional strongman training?

Even for strongman (i’m ignorant on strongman lifts) why do you need to go so heavy? How much weight would be the normal amount for say Stone Lifts?[/quote]

I swear, it is like some people do shit just so no one calls them a bodybuilder. If the result of a 400lbs “zercher squat” is to look like the guy in that vid, I’ll really fucking pass.[/quote]

Why are you so jelly? Its obvious those Zerchers are what made the guy in the video so huge. If you really focus and eat right you too can be 6’ 190. [/quote]

[/quote]
?

No, it is that if “400lbs” is the weight that someone like that can do, then 400lbs isn’t that fucking impressive.

Why would I do shit that leads to lesser progress in muscle growth?

It is a movement that serves little purpose unless specifically training for something with movements like that. So, again, why do people do shit that has such little return in terms of progress?

Oh, wait…that’s the function of most “functional” training…give people who don’t look like they lift seriously something to be proud of.

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:

[/quote]
?

No, it is that if “400lbs” is the weight that someone like that can do, then 400lbs isn’t that fucking impressive.

It is a movement that serves little purpose unless specifically training for something with movements like that. So, again, why do people do shit that has such little return in terms of progress?

Oh, wait…that’s the function of most “functional” training…give people who don’t look like they lift seriously something to be proud of.

[/quote]

I don’t have access to a rack and this is the only squat variation that I can push hard on; the only limiting factor is how much you can deadlift. Hypertrophy isn’t the goal for me, powerlifting is. Until I get to somewhere that does have a rack (I’m 16, so what my dad says has to go), this is the best I got, and it has been a major staple in my training. I do feel that these have been very beneficial to my leg strength and development, and they’re definitely better than nothing. As far as carryover to back squats, who knows? It will sure feel different, but if I can take a few hundred pounds, lift it off of the floor, bury it in my arms, and stand up with it (that sounds pretty “functional” to me, huh? lol :wink: ), it’s not like moving the bar from there to my back is going to make a 400 lb zercher turn into a 200 lb BS. Is it optimal for my aspirations? No. Is it the best that I can do with what I have? I’d say so.

So that’s why I do these. I wouldn’t bother if I had a rack, but that isn’t the case, and I’ve never had any problems with them.

P.S. I do find that zercher to be pretty impressive, but to each his own.

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:

[/quote]
?

[/quote]

I don’t have access to a rack and this is the only squat variation that I can push hard on; the only limiting factor is how much you can deadlift. Hypertrophy isn’t the goal for me, powerlifting is. Until I get to somewhere that does have a rack (I’m 16, so what my dad says has to go), this is the best I got, and it has been a major staple in my training. I do feel that these have been very beneficial to my leg strength and development, and they’re definitely better than nothing. As far as carryover to back squats, who knows? It will sure feel different, but if I can take a few hundred pounds, lift it off of the floor, bury it in my arms, and stand up with it (that sounds pretty “functional” to me, huh? lol :wink: ), it’s not like moving the bar from there to my back is going to make a 400 lb zercher turn into a 200 lb BS. Is it optimal for my aspirations? No. Is it the best that I can do with what I have? I’d say so.

So that’s why I do these. I wouldn’t bother if I had a rack, but that isn’t the case, and I’ve never had any problems with them.

[/quote]

So you’re taking a situation unique to yourself (no rack) and applying it to everyone and wondering why we think you’re crazy? People who are big and strong have access to a squat rack (or other equipment), so the “it’s the only way I can squat” doesn’t apply.

Also, the limiting factor is not how much you can deadlift, it’s how much you can hold in the crook of your arms…

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:

[/quote]
?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Good job making the best out of your situation. When I was in high school, I was in the same situation. I focused on cleans, overhead press, rows, deadlifts, pushups, and chinups.

[quote]challer1 wrote:

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:

[/quote]
?

[/quote]

[/quote]

So you’re taking a situation unique to yourself (no rack) and wondering why we think you’re crazy? People who are big and strong have access to a squat rack (or other equipment), so the “it’s the only way I can squat” doesn’t apply.

Also, the limiting factor is not how much you can deadlift, it’s how much you can hold in the crook of your arms…[/quote]

You’re right, I should have mentioned that earlier; I have rather crappy circumstances as far as equipment is concerned. Although I fail to see how doing these qualifies me as “crazy;” they never gave me any trouble, so I have no real reason to shy away from them.

Never thought about your arms being the limiting factor…that definitely makes sense, especially if these bring pain like a lot of guys have said.

i use the zercher squat as a variation all the time. it’s an awesome movement to increase lower back strength. they are specifically good for strengthening your lockout in the deadlift. it’s one hell of a movement to increase core strength as well. i’ve never found holding the weight in the crook of the arm as a limiting factor. i just put my elbow sleeves over the elbow to add a little padding.

don’t dismiss a lift without understanding what it’s for.

here’s some variations i’ve done.

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:

[quote]Loudog75 wrote:

[/quote]
?

[/quote]

Hungry does them with 500 or so for 4-5 reps. I’m sure your aware of his severely lacking back development. He’s definitely a “functional trainer” and doesn’t look like he lifts.

Zerchers are an awesome variation and will make your upper back grow like nothing else.

I’ve never done a Zercher squat but it’s one of things that makes me cringe a bit thinking of doing it with a regular bar. Maybe if it were with a log as in the Conan wheel I can imagine it, but not with a regular bar.

Used Zerchers when I moved into my new place, & didn’t have access to a rack. They did the job (job being keeping Back squat from deteriorating) when I finally built a rack after about a year my back squat had not suffered as much as expected, Zerchers are cool (course I’m not doing 'em anymore).