How Come Fedor Looks So Out of Shape

I can vouch for Scott Sonnon’s training. I trained with him for 6 months or so through summer. The conditioning he does rocks.

I saw an article in which another fighter (Big Nog?) mentioned that his higher bodyfat percentage makes him slippery, and hard to get a grip on.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Donut62 wrote:
My guess is he doesn’t give a flying fuck what he looks like and just wants to beat peoples faces in come fight time.

You mean a fighter should be more worried about fighting than looking dead sexy to a bunch of other dudes?[/quote]

Incorrect, which is why they should avoid the evil catabolic monster of steady state runs.

Could be something called skill but I don’t know.

For example lookup Joe Frazier story. Frazier could not do 1 chin but mofo could fight. Food for thought.

[quote]bigflamer wrote:
Heliotrope wrote:
The thing that really stands out when watching him fight is his uncanny ability to relax and patiently wait for his opponents to tire and wait for his opportunities before he explodes.

This type of strategy makes the extra weight help him to tire out his opponents and his excellent ability to conserve energy and explode allows it to add momentum to his pushes without being a liability.

I’ve seen Oleg Taktarov employ this same strategy with great success. Simply amazing to see someone with such composure while under fire. I wonder if it’s a Russian thing, a Sambo thing, or both? Hmmmm…

[/quote]

Both. Russian sports strategies and training are all about control and composure. Scott was telling us about their warm up methods and showing us some of their techniques and it was really interesting.

He mentioned that they fight so casually and relaxed and often mentions the joke about when he’d get subbed by someone and be all freaked out and ask how they did it and they’d casually reply, “It iz like smoke cigarette” (done with Russian accent) referring to how easy they find performing techniques lol.

You never see Russian athletes no matter how aggressive they are beating their chests, jumping up and down like monkeys and making a scene.

Even warm ups are different.

Personally I tend to agree with most of their training styles. For example, Western methods concentrate way too much on warming up at the expense of too much energy expenditure where as Eastern methods don’t expend as much energy.

Stuff that eats at your performance in my opinion.

[quote]fireplug52 wrote:

I can vouch for Scott Sonnon’s training. I trained with him for 6 months or so through summer. The conditioning he does rocks.

I saw an article in which another fighter (Big Nog?) mentioned that his higher bodyfat percentage makes him slippery, and hard to get a grip on.[/quote]

Lol, maybe true or maybe Nogs way of saying he’s better.

He’s not fat… just smooth IMO

I don’t think I’d call him out of shape looking. He just carries more body fat than most guys choose in the MMA world. If he was like 7% bodyfat he would look like a monster. And he would also probably be around 205. Doesn’t he usually fight around 225ish lbs?

So, Analog Kid, he bulked up beyond his “muscular potential” to compete in the more lucrative heavyweight?

I kid, I kid.

This OP’s question, once more, is a newbie’s one. While a fighter who’s young might have some direct control over his body fat percentage, it can be risky and ill advised for an advanced fighter to drastically alter his body composition.
As for the absolute No#1, why should he do that?
Even if Berardi and Waterbury themselves could transform his physique through some minimal-invasive protein shaking and 3xBW deadlifting extra-routine, it would be madness.

Not only would he lose training productiveness during transition, his whole body composition would be different. Fedor displays, especially for a hvyweight, great body control. Why risk this?
Finally, he would need to overcome old habits to stay ablicious. But why break habits which made him superior to everyone on this planet, minotaurs, monsters & korean giants included? For example, perhaps his evening vodka with pork dumplings gave him the kind of relaxation to be able to train 100% the next day. A protein shake with fish oil my be a bad substitute for that.

Never change a fucking ultra champion horse.

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
So, Analog Kid, he bulked up beyond his “muscular potential” to compete in the more lucrative heavyweight?

I kid, I kid.

This OP’s question, once more, is a newbie’s one. While a fighter who’s young might have some direct control over his body fat percentage, it can be risky and ill advised for an advanced fighter to drastically alter his body composition.
As for the absolute No#1, why should he do that?
Even if Berardi and Waterbury themselves could transform his physique through some minimal-invasive protein shaking and 3xBW deadlifting extra-routine, it would be madness.

Not only would he lose training productiveness during transition, his whole body composition would be different. Fedor displays, especially for a hvyweight, great body control. Why risk this?
Finally, he would need to overcome old habits to stay ablicious. But why break habits which made him superior to everyone on this planet, minotaurs, monsters & korean giants included? For example, perhaps his evening vodka with pork dumplings gave him the kind of relaxation to be able to train 100% the next day. A protein shake with fish oil my be a bad substitute for that.

Never change a fucking ultra champion horse.[/quote]

Cool post, but I think there can be improvements made to an athlete no matter how well they carry their body.

My little brother was 132kg and has played basketball since he was 4 years old. He is extremely talented but has always been the plump kid.

Towards his later teens he began looking like Fedor only bigger but he has never lost his athletic ability nor his ability to do things lighter guys can do… only if he falls, it hurts much more lol.

Anyway, he’s agile, athletic and super fast for someone at that weight playing a range of sports.

After he watched a transformation of his mate who went also from big bloated blimp style trainee to undisputed junior champion of Australia (amateurs) in Body building, he was inspired to drop all the extra lard.

He has trimmed down to 102 kilos now over the space of a year, put on a heap of muscle and his athleticism has jumped through the roof without any loss in performance at all. Infact, he’s way stronger, way fitter and looks unbelievable compared to how he was.

The attention he also craved for, he got lol!

He did train a little different to what a bodybuilder would train like but his dieting was very similar. Very high protein, heaps of veges and crap loads of water, Aminos and nuts etc.

Very simple plan but he cut out his “luxurious” eating and it made a huge difference.

Fedor, being Fedor would have no trouble achieving the same I would imagine, however, it is a case of does he want to IMO. Personally I don’t think he gives a flying F$^@ about how he looks as evidenced by his total comfort with himself in his fighting style and his interviews. Seems like a man who doesn’t go to extremes or excesses at either end of the spectrum.

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:

[/quote]

LOL. Yes. This is what happens when I think. Besides, he has muscle, he is on the gearz.

[quote]kmcnyc wrote:
He has talked about it in interviews there is a pride documentary with him that covers him training and he mentioned that he used to lift more weights , that activity and time he has now swapped for wrestling/grappling as he felt it suited his needs better.

[/quote]

some people need to re-read this… i know its a lifting site. But when it comes to sport performance…sport first.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
some people need to re-read this… i know its a lifting site. But when it comes to sport performance…sport first.[/quote]

I’ve been told I need a 2.5 BW deadlift. Until I have that, I am not training anything else.

Bro are you fucking retarded??? you shouldn’t even THINK about getting into an ARGUMENT… much less a fight… unless you’re in the powerlifting top 100!

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
Bro are you fucking retarded??? you shouldn’t even THINK about getting into an ARGUMENT… much less a fight… unless you’re in the powerlifting top 100![/quote]

lol

Here is an interesting picture from Alex Emelianenko’s website
http://www.alex.mixfight.ru/multimedia/photos/miscellaneous/975/
Fedor is 20 or 21 on this picture.

Some interesting numbers. Before the army (at the age of 18) Fedor was 78 kg (171.6 lbs) and benched 120 kg (264 lbs), right now he benches 180 kg (396 lbs).

There was a small quiz on Fedor’s website to name how much he weighed before the army and how much he benches so these numbers were provided as the right ones.

And on this picture he doesn’t look as ripped or cut but muscle mass is obviously there.
http://fedor.bel.ru/pics/gallery2/19b.jpg

Without some serious weightlifting I don’t think Fedor would be who he is now.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
Fedor’s physique as opposed to this? Yeah,ok…but I guess it works for Roy Nelson…lol…damn belly rubbing.[/quote]

Ever see Roy Nelson train with kettlebells? That guy is freakishly strong…

And for Fedor looking like he’s out of shape …

Vodka perhaps?..
I know he likes to drink …

Fedor eats and drinks a lot (including the sauce). People can get very strong with a large but shitty diet. I think of Tate and that article series on him changing his lifestyle. Berdardi stated that his diet was over 10000 kcal and something like 51% carbs, 42% fat, and 7% protein.

I strongly doubt Fedor drinks much. Maybe on big holidays like birthday or New Year or a big victory.

Fedor’s brother for example answering a question about alcohol drinks, said that he (AE) doesn’t drink alcohol at all.

They are professional athletes after all, and guess what Russians in general don’t drink vodka that much oppose to stereotypes, they drink it obviously, like Englishmen drink whiskey, or Japanese drink sake.

well, Fedor isn’t lean, but clearly “looking out of shape” is a loaded statement. nobody can look at anyone and guess their athletic ability (Mark Hunt, anyone?). i do agree that some guys are way more cut than others, but most of them are dudes that gotta make weight.

Fedor’s a small heavyweight anyway at 6’0", so he needs all the weight he can carry, which is somewhere around 230.

he prolly eats a lot…i dunno. MMA training’s hard, and it’s easier to eat a shit ton to make sure you have all the nutrients you need, than to be all precise and risk not getting what you need.

[quote]Kovalchuk wrote:
I strongly doubt Fedor drinks much. Maybe on big holidays like birthday or New Year or a big victory.

Fedor’s brother for example answering a question about alcohol drinks, said that he (AE) doesn’t drink alcohol at all.

They are professional athletes after all, and guess what Russians in general don’t drink vodka that much oppose to stereotypes, they drink it obviously, like Englishmen drink whiskey, or Japanese drink sake.
[/quote]

I read an interview awhile ago (I believe it was with Josh Barnett) that in a press conference Barnett ran into the Emelianenko crew, and the whole bunch smelled strongly of vodka and appeared to be at least mildly intoxicated.

Take that totally unsourced statement as you will (I don’t plan on looking it up), but I’m going to guess that Fedor does not live the ascetic lifestyle that people attribute to him.

Barnett has also said he has had drinking contests with Fedor, and Fedor always wins.

[quote]Kovalchuk wrote:

[/quote]

Fedor drinks a lot of vodka and eats a lot of whatever the hell he wants.

As for Aleksander, I remember reading something about him being a recovering addict (he talked about it having his spider web tatoo has something to do with it). IF THIS WAS ACTUALLY TRUE, then alcohol would be a huge no-no for him. Anybody with any kind of addiction that drinks alcohol will more than likely end up using again).