T Nation

How Come Fedor Looks So Out of Shape

but performs like a giant tiger on speed?
I really wonder how he does it…

some of the best strength athletes look out of shape

He is strong, and one of the best skilled fighters. Fighting is about skill not just brute strength, as fedor has beaten people much stronger then him.

What makes me wonder is that he obivously trains like a madman, does a lot of cardio, he is explosive as hell, yet his looks dont show it at all! Most athletes that generate bursts of power look the part.

Skill+technique+being rational.

[quote]SwD wrote:
What makes me wonder is that he obivously trains like a madman, does a lot of cardio, he is explosive as hell, yet his looks dont show it at all! Most athletes that generate bursts of power look the part.
[/quote]

exactly why I’m so confused

maybe shitty diet from bein on the road too much?

My guess is he eats like a fucking horse. Russian food doesn’t really follow Precision Nutrition guidelines.

He is a heavy weight some heavyweights in wrestling look similar
and yeah its scary.

If you go back to his rings days- before pride
he had a more athletic look. and he is bigger overall then. Like 20lbs more or so.

He has talked about it in interviews there is a pride documentary with him that covers him training and he mentioned that he used to lift more weights , that activity and time he has now swapped for wrestling/grappling as he felt it suited his needs better.

clip from the pride documentary training
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=RREGFOZoZTk
an interview
http://www.subfighter.com/news.php?id=2839

cant find where he talks about not using weights.
kmc

I was looking on youtube for clips and found this and lost it

It’s partially his genetics as well. The guy has had low body fat a few times but even then he doesn’t have a 6 pack. His abdominal muscles look more like one giant muscle.

Also, he has stated many times that if he has lower body fat he doesn’t feel or perform as well. Maybe with a super nutritionist and good supplements he could look as good as he performs…but why mess with what could already be viewed as perfection?

My guess is he doesn’t give a flying fuck what he looks like and just wants to beat peoples faces in come fight time.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
My guess is he doesn’t give a flying fuck what he looks like and just wants to beat peoples faces in come fight time.[/quote]

This, coupled with the fact that he most likely enjoys food and drink would be the combination that produces his physique. He doesn’t get paid to look good.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
My guess is he eats like a fucking horse. Russian food doesn’t really follow Precision Nutrition guidelines.[/quote]

I think SN has it, it’s just his diet, and it seems to work great for him. Personally, I don’t think he looks out of shape, just some healthy chub really.

From what I’ve seen, traditionally Russians eat pretty “calorically rich” food, especially when they’re doing well for themselves. I remember watching my grandfather eat 15 or 16 boiled eggs for a SNACK one day, and he coated each egg with smetana (it’s like a mega-sour-cream, about 80% fat, really delicious), and this was a regular thing for him. However, he was a SHW wrestler with a 22" neck, so it wasn’t like he worried about his diet, he just ate whatever my grandmother put in front of him.

Jelly

[quote]Jelly Roll wrote:
Steel Nation wrote:
My guess is he eats like a fucking horse. Russian food doesn’t really follow Precision Nutrition guidelines.

I think SN has it, it’s just his diet, and it seems to work great for him. Personally, I don’t think he looks out of shape, just some healthy chub really.

From what I’ve seen, traditionally Russians eat pretty “calorically rich” food, especially when they’re doing well for themselves. I remember watching my grandfather eat 15 or 16 boiled eggs for a SNACK one day, and he coated each egg with smetana (it’s like a mega-sour-cream, about 80% fat, really delicious), and this was a regular thing for him. However, he was a SHW wrestler with a 22" neck, so it wasn’t like he worried about his diet, he just ate whatever my grandmother put in front of him.

Jelly [/quote]

I find this pretty awesome. I can only hope to be that good a grandfather.

The thing that really stands out when watching him fight is his uncanny ability to relax and patiently wait for his opponents to tire and wait for his opportunities before he explodes.

This type of strategy makes the extra weight help him to tire out his opponents and his excellent ability to conserve energy and explode allows it to add momentum to his pushes without being a liability.

Whether he consciously plans to carry extra weight or not is beyond me but it is clear that it works for him.

I’m still having a hard time why people see Fedor’s physique as “out of shape.” Especially with other professional fighters who really are out of shape.

Fedor’s physique as opposed to this? Yeah,ok…but I guess it works for Roy Nelson…lol…damn belly rubbing.

Not looking dangerous is actually a very good thing for a fighter :slight_smile:

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
My guess is he doesn’t give a flying fuck what he looks like and just wants to beat peoples faces in come fight time.[/quote]

You mean a fighter should be more worried about fighting than looking dead sexy to a bunch of other dudes?

Russian training techniques at the elite level are simply amazing. A session with Scott Sonnon will blow your mind about some of the things he’s learnt over there.

Fedor has been at it for years.

I personally don’t mind a persons look if they perform with such amazing ability.

Scott Sonnon isn’t the most muscular guy and he is quite a small person but his technique coupled with his CNS programming makes him one strong dude! I’ve had him apply techniques to me when he was out here on a seminar and he flung me around like a rag doll, despite being 30 kg or more heavier than him.

[quote]Heliotrope wrote:
The thing that really stands out when watching him fight is his uncanny ability to relax and patiently wait for his opponents to tire and wait for his opportunities before he explodes.

This type of strategy makes the extra weight help him to tire out his opponents and his excellent ability to conserve energy and explode allows it to add momentum to his pushes without being a liability.[/quote]

I’ve seen Oleg Taktarov employ this same strategy with great success. Simply amazing to see someone with such composure while under fire. I wonder if it’s a Russian thing, a Sambo thing, or both? Hmmmm…