T Nation

How Close Am I to a 300 Bench

Yesterday I decided to go heavy on bench press and did 1 somewhat easy rep at 275. I plan to continue my normal workouts and then try and hot 300 in a few weeks. My question to you experienced lifters is:

1. Am I reasonable in thinking that I can do 300 in a few weeks?

2. Any tips or suggestions on how to hit this goal?

Thanks.

shouldnt have a problem I guess it really depends on you and your mind set. in my opinion maxing is 60 percent mental 40 percent physical. I would lift with 225 2x6 then 2x4 then 2x2 for the next few weeks. and then rest a good day warm up I would start at 165 1x1 then jump to 205 1x1 then 235 1x1 then 255 1x1 then go for the 300 and you should be fine atleast this worked for me when I jumped from 270 to 300.

I’ve found that anything you can lift for 5 reps, you can do 25 lbs. more for one rep.

Thanks- I agree a lot is mental.

I think you can hit it. If nothing else, give it a shot with a spotter and you can see what it feels like. You might even want to load it up, unrack it, and get a feel for it at your next workout so you realize that it is not going to crush you and you know what to expect.

[quote]husker29 wrote:
Yesterday I decided to go heavy on bench press and did 1 somewhat easy rep at 275. I plan to continue my normal workouts and then try and hot 300 in a few weeks. My question to you experienced lifters is:

1. Am I reasonable in thinking that I can do 300 in a few weeks?

2. Any tips or suggestions on how to hit this goal?

Thanks.[/quote]

From the information you’ve given and not having seen you it’s impossible to tell. Ideally, you’d want to be able to AT LEAST triple 275. Can you? Also, how good is your form, body tightness, etc. If you can work on and improve this it will help you get a little more. 300 is roughly 9% more than 275… not a small increase. My guess, your max is right around 290 now, at best. Sorry for my downer opinion! Perhaps you can make up the strength over the next few weeks. The good news is you’re not far away at all. So, if not a few weeks, you should be there within two to three months. Good luck!

It depends on where you are in a cycle. Your max should be able to increase by about one lb a week. If you are near the end of a cycle, then you will need to do more cycles. That could mean some months assuming no setbacks. Ted Arcini was able to increase 5 lbs a week. So you could be one to six months to that 300lb bench.

There are at least two articles here on T-Nation about increasing your max bench. You could always follow one of those programs for a few weeks and see how they work out for you.

I’m working towards a 300 right now as well. I haven’t maxed out at all, but I am guessing I have about 40-50 pounds to go myself. I’m trying to add 5 pounds per week and have been having luck for 3 weeks so far with no arching or any sloppiness like that. I figure I’ll just take it week by week until I stall and then do a rethink.