How Can I Sell My Daughter on Calisthenics?

She is only 11, turns 12 in April. I keep trying to talk up the benefits of body weight workouts. She is bull headed and wants to go to the gym. I am glad she has the interest and I get that doing push-ups is just boring. I am not against kids lifting myself. She just could get so far with calisthenics

1 Like

I have found the best way to get kids doing something is to model it (up to a certain age lol). How much doing vs talking is happening?

Does she play any sports?

4 Likes

What’s the problem again? If you don’t mind her lifting and she wants to go to the gym…

you’re asking us how to convince an 11 year old why a particular way to work out is better than a different way? I’m not sure you’re going to get much out of this thread, lol

2 Likes

In an era where childhood obesity is an epidemic, instead of trying to convince your daughter to exercise differently, I would support their decision to exercise.

10 Likes

Basketball, and she gets made fun of for looking anorexic. Modeling is a good idea

he’s not saying she should model… read again. this time, do it better.

1 Like

Get her rock climbing. It’s fun and the most muscular girls (17 and under) I’ve ever seen were all climbers.

1 Like

Hey @Navin_Johnson, I agree that body weight movements are extremely valuable but I also remember what it was like being that young and just wanting to hit the weights. I think incorporating body weight movements into a weight training program as accessory work could be a compromise. She would still be able to lift weights and would benefit from the body weight movements. I do this myself, its a great workout! Good luck!

1 Like

Beat me to it