How Can I Gain Weight!?

Hello.

I am 19 years old male and and have been trying to gain weight now for the past couple of years however nothing has really changed! I am currently 6ft 2 inches and weigh around 8 stone 10 pounds (122 lbs) and have a waist size between 24.5 - 25 inches. Some weeks I have gained a couple of pounds but then the next week I’m back to the same weight.

I eat little throughout the day but really eat mostly in the evening/night when I mostly get hungry! I also suffer from hypomobility which makes it hard for me to exorcise without extreme pain in my joints!

Please can someone give me any advice on how I can gain weight especially around my waist?

Thank you.

Try eating during the day, even if you aren’t feeling hungry.

And about the joints… I think that your doctor might have better advices. Sorry to hear this bro.

Also, why would you like to have bigger waist? (I’m just curious)

Eat a large combination pizza everyday for dinner.

1 Like

Eat all the time. Just because you’re not hungry doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be eating if you’re trying to gain weight.

3 Likes

Putting on weight is going to require eating when you’re not hungry.

You can drink something of that is more palatable

1 Like

My advice is speak with a nutritionist. Sounds like you need some guidance.

But if not, And if you’re really trying to gain, eat small meals that are packed with goodies. I absolutely despise avocados but eat one 5 or so days a week by making spicy guacamole. Also, I use extra Virgin olive oil on almost everything. Nuts and nut butters are in my diet, too. Sometimes you have to take control of your mind and just fight for your goals. There is no magic pill out there. To gain requires time and extreme effort. Take one day at a time and your body will sort itself out. Best of luck!

Do you have any peanut allergies? Peanut butter is a great food to eat when you are trying to gain weight. It is calorically dense and pretty easy to eat. My brother went from 130 to 180 in one year by eating a bunch of it. It can be helpful to get someone who knows how to eat big helping you, but if you don’t know anyone like that, you can start off by taking small steps in the right direction.

Here are a few ideas:

1. Eat more throughout the day. If you can start eating right when you get up and stop eating very close to bedtime, you will be able to eat more. If you try to cram all of your calories for the day into one meal, you will have trouble consuming that meal because it is so big. Even if you can only eat a scoop of peanut butter and some milk for breakfast, you will be doing better than before because now you’ve eaten 500 calories. Do the same every 3 hours until dinner, and you will be able to more easily hit a caloric surplus for the day.

2. Shakes. If you don’t have the appetite for solid food, you can always force down a shake. Put ice cream, peanut butter, bananas, and anything else you like that has a lot of calories. Even though this doesn’t seem “healthy,” this isn’t something you’ll be doing forever. You will just be doing this to gain some weight to start yourself off. You can gradually shift the ingredients to fit your goals.

3. Track your eating. Get MyFitnessPal (free app on smart phone devices) and track what you are eating. Try your best to either hit or go over your caloric goals EVERY DAY. If you have hit your caloric goals for a week and you have not gained any weight, up the calories. Keep upping the calories until you gain weight.

Here’s an initial plan for you:

Eat 3 meals per day. After every meal, eat at least 2 tbsp of peanut butter and drink a glass of whole milk. Track your eating in MyFitnessPal so that you can assess your progress later.

Good luck!

eat more

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply!
I have been to many doctors and physiotherapy sessions but unfortunately it is something that I have to deal with as there is not much that can be done about it other than small posture exercises! The reason I’m more concerned about my waist is because of my height. No matter what I seem to do my waist doesn’t get any bigger?

1 Like

I drink around 2-3 litres of water a day and chamomile tea. Maybe that’s why I don’t feel as hungry in the day?

In what way?

I think you’ll certainly gain weight, especially if you make sure to eat regular-sized meals at breakfast and lunch as well.

1 Like

I imagine you mean filling out the sides of your waist, not getting a bigger stomach?

You can carry things without a lot of joint mobility. Might be a good primary stimulus for you.

3 Likes

Thank you for your reply!
I will take that on board and will have to try the avocado thing even though I also am not a big fan haha.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your detailed reply!
I don’t have any allergies to nuts so will definitely give that a go! Also I might try out the shake idea as I do like to drink a lot throughout the day! I’m willing to give anything a go at this point :slight_smile:

1 Like

Eat big junk food meal every other day until hit say 150(still underweight for your height)

Any sport you can do without pain?

Watch a bunch of this guys vids… has a lot of great tips to improve function and pain relief

1 Like

I was around your weight to when I first started. Now I am about 50 lbs heavier with way more muscle mass. Especially if you are 19 years old male, over 6 feet and active; your caloric intake is going to be way more than average people. Eat a lot and be consistent with it. Consistency is the key

1 Like