T Nation

how can I gain strength on squat ?

how can I gain strength on squat ?

How long have you been training/squatting. If you have never squatted, doing it regardless of weight, sets and reps, you will get stronger. Otherwise review your technique, do a search on box squats, Ian king’s limping into series, Dave Tates article on squats etc. Learn about rep ranges, intensity percentages recovery and decide on goals i.e. is this for athletic reasons or is this purely for body image reasons.Peace, Tmofa

As a sadistic lover of the squat, here are some tips to add to this satinistic ritual.1)Before you are to begin your squat(especially if you are going for a power lift)place about 100 lbs. more than you plan to squat and just hold it in the beggining position as if you are going to squat it and the return it to the rack. Repeat 3 times. It will make your actual lift seem much lighter(kinda like fooling your neurosystem). 2) Every now and then perform partial reps in the power rack, with heavier wght than accustomed too.3)Look forwrd,push your neck into the bar and before takeoff concentrate on your form and tighten your entire body for full explosion(you use over 200 muscles while squatting).4) DO NOT neglct hamstring training,ab training(for strength)and lower back excersises. These come into heavy play. Hope this helps, now go to it.

what type of squat? are you talking about powerlifting or regular? If you powerlift then you need to work on your wide stance. Do a search on Squatting articles in past t-mag issues. I believe Dave Tate wrote some stuff. You have to look to see what your specific goal and needs are. Which muscles do you want you to get stronger and why? laters pk