How Can I Be Funny?

First post…

So I’ve realized that my life would be incredible if I was funny. I would have the confidence to get what I want, who I want and just generally excell in social situations if I would be hilariously funny and witty etc.

Problem is, as the title explains, I am not.
How do I become so? This is something that has bothered me and chewed up my brains for many weeks. I ned help. Seriously.
Any ideas?

[quote]Der Candy wrote:
So I’ve realized that my life would be incredible if I was funny. [/quote]

What makes you think this?

lighten up & realize that by changing one thing (i.e. being funny) will not give you all of your hopes and dreams and change your life. it’s one piece to a giant puzzle.

add alcohol & enjoy.

Stop overanalyzing everything and loosen up. If at any point during the day you notice yourself clenching your butt-cheeks, your going about it in the wrong way.

That is realy subjective.

You have to be able to read people and situations very quickly, And have a good sense of humor.

OR some people are just plain funny. The way they do stuff, look, act, etc. You can’t put a finger on it, they’re just funny.

Trying can cause a crash and burn. Best to just let it happen.

Is that you, MacGyver?

Dude, you ARE funny. I’m laughing my ass off at you right now for starting this thread.

A girl told me I was funny once, because I just made funny and witty comments. I think her words were “You’re just one big joke!”

But hey, I’d rather go through life being a big joke than a big tightass.

Wear a Diaper. 'Nuff said.

I would say the best thing to do would be to get a piece of paper and write down things you really think are funny. These could be movies, shows, specific episodes, certain comics, a particular scene, a phrase, particular comedic techniques (if you’ve given this any thought). Basically, anything that makes you laugh. Once you have a decent list, go through and think about why each one makes you laugh. What makes it funny? Try to find parallels among them, and pay attention to any recurring themes. This should give you a good idea of what you think is funny and why, and you can use this information to start to develop your comedic style.

If you do this, I hope it helps you.

I think you have it backwards skippy.

If you were magically funny it wouldn’t make you confident and so forth. If you were confident and so forth, then you might have the ability to loosen up and be witty or crack a joke.

Alternately, find people that suit who you actually are, and stop worrying about trying to be something you aren’t.

[quote]Ryan McCarter wrote:
I would say the best thing to do would be to get a piece of paper and write down things you really think are funny. These could be movies, shows, specific episodes, certain comics, a particular scene, a phrase, particular comedic techniques (if you’ve given this any thought). Basically, anything that makes you laugh. Once you have a decent list, go through and think about why each one makes you laugh. What makes it funny? Try to find parallels among them, and pay attention to any recurring themes. This should give you a good idea of what you think is funny and why, and you can use this information to start to develop your comedic style.

If you do this, I hope it helps you.[/quote]

Thanks. I’ve actually been trying to do something similar. If I notice something someone said/did/looked like that I found funny, I try to remember it and figure out similar jokes or patterns of behaviour.
And sometimes, it works. But it’s usually when I’m completely carefree (to the point that it’s nearly dangerous) and relaxed.
I also try to sorround myself with people who make me laugh and who seem to be on the same comedic (is that a word?) wavelength as me.
However this seems too simple. Is this what I should do? Should I just relax and try to attune myself with comedy? Will AXE spray really get me laid?

Being able to laugh at yourself is the first step.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Der Candy wrote:
So I’ve realized that my life would be incredible if I was funny.

What makes you think this?[/quote]

Because I have a suspicion that people think I’m boring. Some days I crack lots of jokes and suddenly I am surrounded by people who want my attention etc. Other days (most often) people barely look at me twice because I hardly say a word, much less a funny word.

And I know that when it comes to chicks they only rally care about bicep girth and not personality, but I just feel like I would get an edge if I provided some comic relief.

[quote]Der Candy wrote:
First post…

So I’ve realized that my life would be incredible if I was funny. How do I become so?[/quote]

Keep asking questions like this. (Just ribbin’ ya. I thought it was funny.)

Edit: I see Carter beat me to the punch. Good one, quick draw.

[quote]Der Candy wrote:
And I know that when it comes to chicks they only rally care about bicep girth and not personality, but I just feel like I would get an edge if I provided some comic relief.[/quote]

Most chicks could give a fuck about muscle. Make 'em laugh and you’ll make 'em wet.

[quote]
Thanks. I’ve actually been trying to do something similar. If I notice something someone said/did/looked like that I found funny, I try to remember it and figure out similar jokes or patterns of behaviour.
And sometimes, it works. But it’s usually when I’m completely carefree (to the point that it’s nearly dangerous) and relaxed.
I also try to sorround myself with people who make me laugh and who seem to be on the same comedic (is that a word?) wavelength as me.
However this seems too simple. Is this what I should do? Should I just relax and try to attune myself with comedy? Will AXE spray really get me laid?[/quote]

Dude…you just need to loosen up. Just pretend that everyone you talk to us an ugly fat chick. Sounds fucked up but it works. Usually people have tons of confidence in that situation. What’s funny to some is not funny to others. One of my buddies is not funny to any of us, but he found a girl/wife who thinks he is the funniest guy around…just be yourself.

Just give someone a complement, count to 2 (in your head) then say NOT really loud

Example

Your butt is very shapely

One
two

NOT!

Now that’s comedy

Thanks Borat

GANJA, Mon!

That shit will have you laughing at Dead Puppies and Jock Itch, baby!

(…and eating a Sams’s Club full of cold hot dogs and Doritos…but that’s another thread…!)

Mufasa

“…Make 'em laugh and you’ll make 'em wet…”???

MAN LAW!!!

Mufasa