How Can I Avoid an Afternoon Crash?

I’m wondering if there’s any ways I should be eating, or certain things I could be eating, to avoid that midday slump, or after lunch slump, or whatever you want to call it.

Obviously this is a universal problem, but I’m wondering if anyone has found some ways to help avoid it.

I’ve been trying to drink more water, and avoid sugar in the morning that would lead to a sugar crash, but right around 1-3 in the afternoon, I’m barely staying awake, even if I got a good night’s rest.

Any tips?

Excellent timely post,
I experienced the same thing today and in the past.

Following to hear what others recommend.

1 Like

What are you eating?

1 Like

Pineapple chunks and coffee about an hour after lunch.

1 Like

I used to crash when I had coffee twice a day, morning and about 2:30 pm. When I cut the pm coffee for a week, I stopped feeling like I needed a nap around that time. Now if I have coffee after noon I can’t sleep all night.

1 Like

Nothing amazing.

Usually just some form of egg with a few veggies for breakfast, or, a few days a week, I just don’t eat until lunch (caused by a mixture of busy mornings and I tend to not have much of a morning appetite).

For lunch, it’s usually just a few meat and cheese sandwiches. The meat is mostly “real” meat, not fake deli meat. I don’t know if that matters, beyond the fact that it’s healthier. Also usually drink some milk with it.

It’s pretty bland. I don’t tend to get much variety.

Isn’t there natural up and downs during the day?

Yeah. I mean I think so. But I figured there’d be ways to reduce them, and I figured certain dietary habits would help.

Also, it doesn’t seem like it would be enough, but if your not sleep deprived, a 30 minute nap can remove brain fog in the early afternoon. You don’t have to fall asleep, but you need to lie down and relax. Often in 15 minutes I am ready to go, but if you lie down too long you may not want to get up.

I think you need to experiment and figure out the right macro balance for lunch, and then make sure your carb is of the low glycemic variety. Bread is probably the worst thing you could be eating. I bet if you replace the bread with a sweet potato and half an avocado, you’ll feel a lot better. Most of your carbs should come in the evenings and around workouts.

Hmm I’ve always done carbs in the AM for energy as well as pre-workout

My suggestion was going to be adding a bagel to your eggs and veggies

Years ago I was eating white potatoes with my lunch and rice with my dinner and developed the same problem. A simply switch to rice w/lunch and potatoes at dinner solved the issue. You may need to try several combinations, but I suspect any high glycemic carb., in your case bread, would do the same thing.

1 Like

Get a job you’re passionate about that’s stimulating. Honestly, I never crash because I’m so damn busy and hustling and loving what I do. If you’re bored at work, it’s going to be difficult to find a diet change that would help much.

1 Like

I’m in college.

That actually sounds really good. I’ll have to try it out.

I’ve done this before. Kinda touch and go for me - sometimes it refreshes me, sometimes, like you said, I just want to stay in bed lol

Some practical advice. Sweet potatoes do just fine in the microwave. Shoot for 5-6 minutes, rotating the sweet potato once half way through. Cut a slit down one side when it’s done, and peel with your hands. It’ll take a little experimentation to get the process just right. As for the avocado… you can put the half you don’t eat in a sealed container in the fridge. It’ll turn a little brown, but won’t get too bad if you eat it within 24 hours.

Enjoy your crash-free afternoons!

What’s your vitamin and mineral consumption?

Whatever I get through food, which is to say I have no idea. I do vitamin D when I remember (couple times a week). The doc says my levels are slightly low.

Remember daily. You may also want to add in GNC Super B complex (150) plus additional B12 supplement and Ginseng Panax.

Something else is try cutting out the milk at lunch

2 Likes

How come?

(Not disagreeing, I just don’t know anything about it.)