T Nation

How Bad is My Power Clean?

i usually have shoes i just didn’t this day

recommend 1080p and full screen, filmer is dumb and kept camera vertical

hi michael, wat are you doing on oly board

I probably don’t have the best eye for this, but it seems like you’re using your arms and and just sort of stomping. Your rack is good though. It might help if you start from the hang position and concentrate on exploding it off your thighs and really getting that triple extension. Also, are you using the hook grip? That can help take your arms out of it.

You’re picking up your feet too much. It should be a simple movement with your feet. In fact, don’t think about your feet at all, just let them move, but don’t pick them up!!

Hi there.

I think there are three things I noticed off the bat. Firstly it looks like you’re pulling up rather than in and up. You also seem to move your hips too early and you don’t seem to pull under the bar, it’s more of a small press after the jump to get the bar up. You’re rack position is pretty nice though; that’s the part where I had struggled.

I’d suggest watching some of the California Strength vids, especiall some of the hit-catch drill stuff that Jon North does. It’s improved my pulls greatly.

Basically you concentrate on leaving the hip extension as late and as explosive as possible, the bar should quite literally hit your hip and you end up in an arch. You then use the upward bar travel to ‘pull’ yourself under and then squat up. Power clean is obviously a bit different because it’s mostly about muscling it up but I’m all for a small squat if it allows you to properly clean more weight.

So I guess, concentrate on pulling in rather than up and let hip and knee extension create the upward motion then if the bar is moving fast enough then you can get under it. Otherwise you need to focus on speed with lower weight.

Good luck.

what power clean?

jk jk

Too light to judge.

Is that 80kg, you make it look pretty easy. Try 20% more weight and post another video.

[quote]olylifter106 wrote:
You’re picking up your feet too much. It should be a simple movement with your feet. In fact, don’t think about your feet at all, just let them move, but don’t pick them up!![/quote]
THIS^

Not an awful lot else wrong with it though IMO. Maybe you could just keep the bar a little bit closer to you before the second pull, but not bad at all.