T Nation

How Are SARMs Not Androgenic?

Can someone explain how SARMS bind to androgen receptors yet are not androgenic? Reason I’m asking is I got way worse body acne from an 8 week RAD-140 cycle than my 3 previous test/EQ cycles and I’m just looking for some correlation. Not really overly concerned, just curious. I’ve been done with RAD-140 for over two weeks now and am still getting new body acne, which I’m not really prone to getting, so I’m wondering if it is a residual effect from the RAD or just something in my diet.

They are androgenic… minimally, but they still retain androgenic properties.

Androgenicity isn’t merely quantified by the strength of binding to androgen receptors, otherwise anavar would be like… the most androgenic thing in the world, rather androgenicity (as specified as the ability to promote masculinizing side effects rather than the traditional “how much does it make a rat prostate grow”) refers to a compounds predispensity for causing virilising sides, and this will depend on

• affinity for 5a reductase enzyme and percentage of base hormone converted to 5a reduced metabolite (SARMS have no affinity for this enzyme… most of the time, the term sarm is controversial and I’ll explain soon)
  • androgenicity of 5a reduced metabolite (think nandrolone to dihydronandrolone)
  • affinity to androgen receptors at specific sites. We don’t have much literature on this however androgen receptors are present all throughout the body, and many steroids (and sarms) are tissue selective, hence the term sarm… this coins non steroidal vs steroidal sarms. Theoretically one could call any AAS with a skewed A/A ratio a “sarm” as it specifies selectivity of anabolism over androgenicity. An excellent sarm would be one that doesn’t interact with the AR in cardiac myocytes…

Also… many products sold as sarms are merely powdered designer steroids

I think I’m going to leave a Yeet or a Floop at the end of every post until I get an email and/or specifically told not to

Yeet

Please explain the meaning of said ‘yeet’ and optional ‘floop’… LOL

There is no meaning… it’s just yeet

It’s something I’ve done in class before, on the few occasions I show up early i take a marker and write Yeet about 100 times all over the board.

Another fabulous example would be when a teacher is trying to explain something of legitimate importance to the class… so I raise my hand

“Yes unreal24278”

Me - “so… erm, I’m relation to X, how many Yeet’s does it take to make a floop?”

Another great one is right before a large test on statistics, matrices and networks (like 15 seconds before) I raise my hand

“Yes unreal24278”

Me - “um… what’s a network” (I wasn’t serious)

Teacher “dammit unreal24278”

Me - “Yeet”

I’ve always hated school with a passion, and whilst I’m respectful to my peers and teachers (even if many peers treated me like absolute shit… I have friends now but that never made up for a lifetime of bullying), I don’t exactly make it easy for a classroom to function optimally as I don’t take things very seriously

I’m finished now… and fuck that… never going back

The curriculum in relation to the educational system is very uniform, failing to cater towards individuality… thus leaving abnormal individuals like me out in the dust.

Have you seen the statistical college graduation rate of people on the spectrum… it’s shockingly low. Sure, we can be irritating to be around but that’s no excuse! An environment that caters towards the majority and pushes out the minority is highly problematic.

I have SOOOOO many problems in relation to the way I’ve been treated in the past

• FREQUENT night sweats accompanied by horrifying nightmares
  • anxiety (generalized)
  • inferiority complexes etc

The only positive attribute I retain related to my past (within relation to this topic) is the ability to handle rejection well due to being so used to it… and being familiarity with being treated like a piece of shit on the sidewalk… granted over time less people picked on me, eventually leading to zero people picking on me (directly correlated with bulking up interestingly). Not to say I’m not st fault, in response to being picked on so vehermontly, I became kind of a dick/ a very angry youth in my early teenage years, treated others badly and I regret some of my actions very much. At the time I had trouble seeing the difference between right and wrong… I harbour a lot of resentment towards a lot of people in part due to the way I was treated… the way people just stood by and did nothing when they saw the way I was being treated was wrong, someone could’ve easily stepped in or helped at any moment, yet no one did. I always help out or step in whenever i see an individual by himself, who looks seriously down or in need or help… not kissing my own ass, however it astounds me how many people will simply ignore it as an afterthought rather than think “I should probably ask if he’s okay”… and if you see someone being treated in a way that is wrong or someone being pushed/shoved, say something for gods sake, don’t just fucking sit there…

Sorry, rant over… actually I’d rather not talk about this anyways #personalissues

2 Likes

Are you using testosterone with this RAD cycle?

No I just used RAD only

Well then there’s your answer. Acne is often a reaction to wild hormone fluctuations. RAD suppresses testosterone which throws the whole system out of whack.

If you need to be specifically told not to write gibberish and nonsense… do not write gibberish and nonsense.

The general guideline for forum conversation is to speak as if you were sitting at a bar or around a table, face-to-face live and in person, with everyone in the thread. If more people behaved that way and less like the Internet was a separate reality of anonymity without repercussions, a bunch of things would be a bunch better.

5 Likes

to be fair… I do this in conversation regularly (in real life)… it throws people off completely, typically eliciting “what the hell are you talking about” style response

However I will deter myself, I apologise (wouldn’t say this in a bar though… fucking with people in a bar… it’d be pretty good grounds to get punched in the face lol)… when intoxicated, people will sometimes pick fights for the most trivial of reasons

understood. i’m just confused on how i never experienced this during or after test/EQ cycle, when i think those cycles threw my hormones out of wack more than i felt the RAD did. just basing it off of how i felt after each.

I will say though, i think, emphasis on think, that i saw more productive gains from one 8 week cycle of RAD-140 than I did from each 12-16 week test/EQ cycle I ran. Hard to tell though based on the amount of bloat I had from the test c and e. and significantly cheaper so that’s a plus.

It might be the one SARM that would be appropriate to incorporate into a trt regiment at low doses because of the positive effects on the prostate. Other than that I don’t think we have enough trials to make any kind of assessment. But based on anecdotal evidence it’s a pretty decent mass builder.

I noticed an increase in acne when switching from sq trt to Im and another increase when adding rad 140. It comes and goes threw out the week. Can’t figure as to why it’s labile

@rabbit91476
When you change things your hormones are out of whack for a period of time. On TRT I went from sub-q to IM and had the same thing happen. It also happens when I change anything (injection frequency, dose, etc). After 6-8 weeks for me things normalize.

The opposite happened to me. The more I bulked up, the higher dosage of roids I took, the worse random people I meet on the street treat me and the worse they look at me.

RAD causes acne because it bind to androgen receptors in the skin. It’s as simple as that. It has nothing to do with hormone fluctuations as someone said.

You’d be surprised to learn that testosterone injected is actually less androgenic than testosterone naturally produced. This is because most of the important enzymes are located in the scrotum so if you bypass the scrotum you don’t get as much conversion of testosterone to other hormones.

I too wondered why some things are androgenic and others not. Turns out, testosterone alone is not sufficient for penis growth so if you lack its metabolite, dihydrotestosterone, then you are born with essentially a micropenis.

I also wondered why some really masculine guys I’ve met who look like Mike Tyson with their scary, intimidating face, why are they not hairy if they produce so much male hormones or are so sensitive to male hormones?
I think again the answer is hormone metabolism but another explanation is that they due to genetic differences have more androgen receptors in their bones as opposed to their skin, or more enzymes one place rather than another.

Also, if trenbolone is as strong an AR agonist as DHT is, why then does it not cause the same gene expression as DHT seems to do?

Why also is it that most steroids cannot be “felt” even though they bind strongly to androgen receptors in the brain. And even if you megadose them it makes no difference in most cases?
Without metabolism to DHT, you almost cannot feel testosterone although testosterone affects a ton of genes involved in neurotransmitter metabolism?

The reason you “feel” trenbolone is not because of AR binding but because of dopamine D2 receptor binding.