How am I GAINING Weight Cutting?

I’ve been through 2-3 cuts over the last few years, each following the same sort of template - around 2500 cals (I weigh about 170, 10.5% BF at last measurement), using a proven fat burner and utilising around 5 days total training a week of alternate days of sprints and weights. Whereas each of the last cuts I’ve lost steadily around a lb a week (total 10-15 lbs), these first few weeks I’ve gained a total of 2 lbs. Nothing has changed diet/training wise. I feel like I’m slowly getting a little leaner, but it’s really hard to tell and then to believe it when the scales are saying the opposite… what’s going on?!!

Diet is pretty standard, like I said successful in past. Aim for 200-225g protein day, keep carbs around workouts and in the mornings, eat every 2-3 hours. Plenty of water, veggies.

I would be worried more about weighing 170lbs after a few years of training
If your bodyfat is really as low as you say it is you’d be better eating
Your ass off and gain some strength and size.

[quote]giedie wrote:
I would be worried more about weighing 170lbs after a few years of training
If your bodyfat is really as low as you say it is you’d be better eating
Your ass off and gain some strength and size.[/quote]

I have to keep my weight within a certain range for occasional martial arts competitions.

Depending on how you were eating/training prior to the ‘deficit’, it could take a couple of weeks before you notice it.

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:
Depending on how you were eating/training prior to the ‘deficit’, it could take a couple of weeks before you notice it. [/quote]

Hasn’t done in the past. Last cut I lost 2-3 lbs each of the first 3 weeks…

[quote]British Beef wrote:

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:
Depending on how you were eating/training prior to the ‘deficit’, it could take a couple of weeks before you notice it. [/quote]

Hasn’t done in the past. Last cut I lost 2-3 lbs each of the first 3 weeks…[/quote]

Although you are correct to bring your past experience forward, each time will be a bit different. You are continually adding to the database. You can’t possibly control all the variables that effect the outcome, and you are not the same person you were last time.

I’ve been through 2-3 cuts over the last few years, each following the same sort of template - around 2500 cals (I weigh about 170, 10.5% BF at last measurement), using a proven fat burner and utilising around 5 days total training a week of alternate days of sprints and weights. Whereas each of the last cuts I’ve lost steadily around a lb a week (total 10-15 lbs), these first few weeks I’ve gained a total of 2 lbs. Nothing has changed diet/training wise. I feel like I’m slowly getting a little leaner, but it’s really hard to tell and then to believe it when the scales are saying the opposite… what’s going on?!!

Diet is pretty standard, like I said successful in past. Aim for 200-225g protein day, keep carbs around workouts and in the mornings, eat every 2-3 hours. Plenty of water, veggies.[/quote]

Your clothes will not lie to you.

Do you notice your clothes getting looser in the abz while getting tighter in the arms and thighs?

As to what might have changed; maybe your lifestyle has given you less stress lately.

Hormones matter a big deal.

I weigh about 170, 10.5% BF at last measurement[/quote]
How tall are you?

Exactly what time frame are we talking about, and what has the total progress been like? Are you up to pounds from last week (having gone down in previous weeks) or are you now 2 pounds heavier than Day One when you started the cut several weeks ago?

I’d normally say to ignore what the scale says and just focus on measurements and photos, but…

Presuming you’re aiming for a 170 weigh class limit and not something lower, have you ever considered only cutting weight when those occasional competitions come up? It’d be reasonable to let yourself get up to a lean 180-ish and drop to 170 when needed. Just a suggestion. Your goals are certainly up to you.

It sounds like you’re gaining muscle mass while losing bodyfat. Scale weight does not equal fat loss. On my current cut, I have gained 2 lbs on the scale and have lose 3-4% bf.

Swings in weight early in a diet change can also reflect water retention, one way or the other.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

I weigh about 170, 10.5% BF at last measurement[/quote]
How tall are you?

I’m 5 foot 9 (176 cm).

Exactly what time frame are we talking about, and what has the total progress been like? Are you up to pounds from last week (having gone down in previous weeks) or are you now 2 pounds heavier than Day One when you started the cut several weeks ago?

I’ve been cutting for 3 weeks now, and in total I’m now 3 lbs up from the pre-cut weight.

I’d normally say to ignore what the scale says and just focus on measurements and photos, but…

Presuming you’re aiming for a 170 weigh class limit and not something lower, have you ever considered only cutting weight when those occasional competitions come up? It’d be reasonable to let yourself get up to a lean 180-ish and drop to 170 when needed. Just a suggestion. Your goals are certainly up to you.[/quote]

these first few weeks I’ve gained a total of 2 lbs.[/quote]
Exactly what time frame are we talking about, and what has the total progress been like? Are you up to pounds from last week (having gone down in previous weeks) or are you now 2 pounds heavier than Day One when you started the cut several weeks ago?[/quote]

I’ve been cutting for 3 weeks now, and in total I’m now 3 lbs up from the pre-cut weight.[/quote]
So a few weeks ago, you were like 168, the next week you lost weight, the next week you lost weight, and now you’re suddenly up around 171?

Weird. As was said, quick jumps like that are usually water and or “bulk”/constipation, especially if you are actually looking leaner . Maybe try dropping calories and/or carbs for a few days. No need for anything drastic, as it’s still the early stage of the plan.

these first few weeks I’ve gained a total of 2 lbs.[/quote]
Exactly what time frame are we talking about, and what has the total progress been like? Are you up to pounds from last week (having gone down in previous weeks) or are you now 2 pounds heavier than Day One when you started the cut several weeks ago?[/quote]

I’ve been cutting for 3 weeks now, and in total I’m now 3 lbs up from the pre-cut weight.[/quote]
So a few weeks ago, you were like 168, the next week you lost weight, the next week you lost weight, and now you’re suddenly up around 171?

Weird. As was said, quick jumps like that are usually water and or “bulk”/constipation, especially if you are actually looking leaner . Maybe try dropping calories and/or carbs for a few days. No need for anything drastic, as it’s still the early stage of the plan.[/quote]

No, sorry, of the 3 weeks of cutting so far I’ve gained a little bit each week to total 3 lbs now.

ive been on a cut now and ive been gaining some weight each week but i know i am dropping at least 0.5% bf a week. My theory is that it depends on your genetics, obviously if your cutting your not getting that many calories but some genetics allow for easy strength gains especially if all your carbs come post workout…

take pictures weekly…you should notice differences through pictures or by “touching” your fatty areas to see if they got tigether