T Nation

How About Hummus?

I was wondering if anyone else ate Hummus, I love this stuff and have been using as it as a snack alot lately in my cutting phase. the stuff I get is 50Cal, 5g Carb, 3g Fat, 1g Protien. wondering what everyone thought of it.

I think its low GI carbs because its chickpease so it should be good fats too. usually eat like 2 servings to 100Cal. actually fills me up a bit and they have tons of flavors like jalepeno.

I like hummers!!!

[quote]thor wrote:
I like hummers!!![/quote]

I second this.

I love hummus. I just can’t eat it in small amounts. I’ll usualy go through a 1 pint container in two days.

hummus is tasty. just don’t overdo it.

So easy to make: Got blender?

1 can chic-peas
2-3 clove garlic
juice from 1 lemon
salt & pepper to taste
1 - 2 Tbsp tahini (sesame paste)
1/2 - 3/4 cup olive oil

Put all ingredients into the blender except the olive oil. Begin by processing at a slow speed and drizzling the oil in a slow stream to emulsify the mixture. When all the oil is in turn blender to a higher speed to mix to a smooth consistancy. If you like a thinner consistancy you can add more oil or water to smooth it out. Personally, I like to kick it up with different flavors (like roasted red pepper puree).

Hummus is a great way to consume beans. It’s fast and can be a part of a meal when carbs are otherwise kept to a minimum. Not only does the threat of gassy side effects keep most people from eating too much at a sitting, but…

Beans have low glycemic indices (indexes?) in the 14-44 range; five kinds being described here:
Panlasigui, L., et al. Glycaemic response in normal subjects to five different legumes commonly used in the Philippines. Int J Food Sci Nutr. 1995 May; 46(2): 155-60.

Of course, if someone has a GI table handy, that could be even more specific.

Oh, and they’re loaded with fiber and even some protein.