How About Cutting Federal Pay?

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]up1bin wrote:
I can’t speak for the rest of the country, but here in NJ I can make more $$ working in private industry, but chose Federal employment mainly due to job security. [/quote]

Why is your job ‘secure’?
[/quote]

Why? So you think Private sectors jobs are just as ‘secure’ as Govt jobs?

Federal employment is increasing pretty substantially. I wonder what the unemployment rate would be w/o that?

I don’t expect an answer from Steely. He’s ignoring me. I’m heartbroken. :frowning:

[quote]up1bin wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]up1bin wrote:
I can’t speak for the rest of the country, but here in NJ I can make more $$ working in private industry, but chose Federal employment mainly due to job security. [/quote]

[/quote]

Why? So you think Private sectors jobs are just as ‘secure’ as Govt jobs? [/quote]

Uhhhh, no, in general, I don’t. But to answer your somewhat defensive question-- My “skill set” is highly in demand and will carry me, so ‘the job’ is irrelevant to me.

You said “… but chose Federal employment mainly due to job security.”

I asked you to tell me makes your job ‘secure’? That is to ask “WHY is your job ‘secure’?”. You’ve taken a “secure” job. I want to know what about your job guarantees “security”.

Make sense?

I can answer for myself on this one Steely, my job is secure due to there being no competition from the private sector, and two that there aren’t a lot of people that can do the job. Yes we always have a long list of applicants but it seems that every academy we lose at least 1 or more.

Unions will NEVER let a government employee lose their job, it’s as certain as death and taxes.

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:
I can answer for myself on this one Steely, my job is secure due to there being no competition from the private sector, and two that there aren’t a lot of people that can do the job. Yes we always have a long list of applicants but it seems that every academy we lose at least 1 or more.[/quote]

Ahhhh, lanchefan, my friend, THAT is a WHOLE another thread!!!

I get flak from those who are more Libertarian (capital “L”) than me that I tend to exclude LEO’s, emergency responders, and the like from the rule that government shouldn’t compete with private sector endeavors. Generally, I say that if you can look up a business in the Yellow Pages, the government shouldn’t be doing it (FF, LEO, et similar excluded).

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]up1bin wrote:

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]up1bin wrote:

[/quote]

Why? So you think Private sectors jobs are just as ‘secure’ as Govt jobs? [/quote]

Uhhhh, no, in general, I don’t. But to answer your somewhat defensive question-- My “skill set” is highly in demand and will carry me, so ‘the job’ is irrelevant to me.

You said “… but chose Federal employment mainly due to job security.”

I asked you to tell me makes your job ‘secure’? That is to ask “WHY is your job ‘secure’?”. You’ve taken a “secure” job. I want to know what about your job guarantees “security”.

Make sense?[/quote]

I’m not saying Govt employment “guarantees” job security, I’m talking relative job security. You talk of your skill set - you might have an easier time finding another job due to your skills if you become unemployed, but the fact remains that your job was never ‘secure’ (just talking in general since I don’t know what you do or who you work for).

As far as ‘security’, just take firings for example. I don’t think such a concept exists in Govt jobs (with the exception of ethics violations like bribery, stealing, etc). Sure, there are plenty of civil servants that need a good firing, but like it or not, job security is provided for. Govt wants to shut down a site? That’s a decade long process, and a lot of the workers get assimilated into other installations.

I guess the main point I’m trying to make is that there are no sudden violent changes in my job security working for the Fed Govt. Which can’t be said for private jobs, where they can make me clear my desk tomorrow if they wanted.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:
I can answer for myself on this one Steely, my job is secure due to there being no competition from the private sector, and two that there aren’t a lot of people that can do the job. Yes we always have a long list of applicants but it seems that every academy we lose at least 1 or more.[/quote]

Ahhhh, lanchefan, my friend, THAT is a WHOLE another thread!!!

I get flak from those who are more Libertarian (capital “L”) than me that I tend to exclude LEO’s, emergency responders, and the like from the rule that government shouldn’t compete with private sector endeavors. Generally, I say that if you can look up a business in the Yellow Pages, the government shouldn’t be doing it (FF, LEO, et similar excluded).[/quote]

Oh I know what you’re saying, I’ve seen private ambulance companies go through hell. The problem is that 911 response private ambulances get fleeced by the ins companies (of course so do we). So they try to pay their paramedics and EMT’s crap wages, and then get angry when these guys leave to go back to desk jobs or go into the fire service.

Like I said we gave concessions in our last contract, but our administration also held up their end of the bargain also. In return we were able to jump into a grant with some other departments so we could get new airpacks. They scaled back the admin building that is to be completed early next year saving almost 2 million off the total cost.

I agree that if there is a private sector option that could do the job better why not have them do it. It would probably be done for a lower cost and be done more efficiently.